Superhero fitness thread/log

epicspidey

This is to track my fitness for a con during the winter. Im looking for feedback, advice, etc. tips on how to speed up the weight loss would be appreciated. I'm not super fat. "Just impatient" lol

- - - Updated - - -

How in the darn world do I upload a pic here from my iPhone??

There's really no way to "speed up" fitness. It's a matter of how much you're willing to put into the venture. Everyone's body is different, but there are a few main things to do:

1) Eat correctly. There's plenty of resources out there on what a proper diet should be (portions, what to avoid, etc.). Avoid Atkins or any other fad "diets." Don't "diet," make a lifestyle change. As a friend of mine once said, "You can't exercise away bad diet."

2) Find an exercise routine you enjoy. That could mean running, or swimming, or going to a gym. Personally, I enjoy Beachbody programs (I'm a coach), but to each their own.

3) Understand your goals. Most people can't just drop weight and get cut at the drop of a hat. As much time as it takes someone to get out of shape, it tends to take at least half as much time getting back into shape. Case in point, I'm finishing my second time through Focus T-25, and while I've had great results, I'm still working on it.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

Not that many people can actually routinely go to the gym. (That's the business strategy gyms base their entire industry on) If you have even a tiny doubt that you can regularly go to a gym, don't waste your money on a membership. It's much more beneficial to try to find a trainer (and THEN get the membership), a group activity, etc than to just go buy a gym membership. I personally find it hard to motivate myself to work out on an individual level, but if I have a commitment to a group or trainer, I'm more likely to get my butt out of the house.

I'm doing an outdoor summer bootcamp right now. It's just a small group of 5 of us, plus the trainer who tells us what to do, yells encouragement, etc, and I HATE working out normally, but I'm actually excited to go to every session because I like having the support group and being outside.

It's a lifestyle change, but when you make the change, you feel a lot better about yourself.

Also, don't expect to look like a superhero in one summer :p Guys like Amell, Evans, and Hemsworth spend months of working out every day with a personal trainer and strict dieting to get in shape for those characters. (And they're paid to do it! They don't go to the office or whatever like the rest of us and just work out before or after. It's their JOB to look like that)

And I've yet to hear any star that is cut during filming enjoy their diet at the time. Mmmm, boiled chicken and vegetables!

lol not even pro athletes like it all the time. I remember Sid Crosby joking about wanting to eat cake for his birthday during the summer after the Pens were knocked out of the playoffs.

Plus, one of my biggest excuses is always "But I have to finish this costume! I don't have TIME to workout!". Then it just becomes a catch22 of looking good in my costume and having a costume at all.

I am by no means fit, but am slowly getting there. I actually scheduled my days to find out when I can get in exercise time, so I go for a 20 minute walk at lunch and eat healthier. It's a slooooow burn, but starting to see results. Once I start fitting into smaller clothes, I'll start pairing it with a 30 minute beach body program like I used to do.

I personally hate everything about working out, so working on small changes

Great thread. Looking forward to progress pics. As others said, don't diet, change your diet (lifestyle). Workout in a way you enjoy, and you'll be more likely to stick with it. Not at superhero level yet myself, but it's part of my motivation (to look good in a hero suit). Progress has slowed down, but the last boy's usually the hardest.

What worked for me was supplements (I use AdvoCare), eating smaller portions (but eat often) to boost metabolism, and hitting the gym 3-4 times a week. Including muscle gain, I'm at a net loss of 45 lbs. If I can do it, anyone can.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402203002.366296.jpg

Occurred to me, that pic was at about 35 lbs down; 6 months between those shots, but is sustainable (because it wasn't a diet).

Because it hasn't been mentioned yet...

1. Get enough sleep.

2. Get enough sleep.

3. No, seriously, I said, posting at 1am, get enough sleep.

If you don't get proper amounts of sleep, especially when working out, your body produces more of the hormone cortisol which can make it more difficult to shed bodyfat. You will also be too tired to really work out effectively, and usually when you are tired, you are more likely to make bad food choices.

I'd like to recommend "P90X". When you stick to the workout-routine and eat according to the diet-plan that comes with the program, you're gonna get awesome results in just 90 days. There is also the benefit of avoiding the gym-fees since the program is designed to be a workout you can do at home. The only things you will need are some weights, some resistance-bands, a yoga-mat, and a heartrate-monitor. If you are dedicated, P90X works wonders.

Hey Everyone, I've been working on a Spiderman Build, I'm 5 10 and I was 170 pounds. I don't have a hour to work out so I've been using T25 its a great program its 25 mins a day. The first 5 weeks its all cardo Alpha,( I lost a lot or weight got to 155 pounds) then its Beta for 5 weeks ( I gained a little but some its muscle I was 160pounds ) Beta is where you starting doing more straightening, push ups and bur pees. I just finished Gama where its all Weight Training and I'm drinking Muscle Milk and I'm getting good results. But I did visit my family for 10 day and didn't workout so I'm playing catch up now and doing Gama and Hip Hop Abs with weights on my wrist and ankles but I'm almost there, to my goal. My biggest problem I keep falling off my diet it but I'm really close. I hope this will help. also I learned a lot about fitness on youtube like Six pack Short cuts with Mike Chang he's great . SO JUST REMEMBER IT'S ALL 80% MENTAL, IF YOU WANT IT, YOU CAN HAVE IT, JUST DO IT!! I hope this helps anyone

Before IMG_3888.jpg

Alpha
IMG_4225.jpg

Beta
IMG_4324.jpg

Gama (Still Not happy but close)
IMG_4533.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished my second time through T-25 and am debating if I want to switch out for something else, or do a third round and then go into gamma.

Beachbody stuff is nice because you get a coach and a community. I highly recommend it (and not just because I'm a coach.) But really, it all comes down to what you can stick with, but you have to remember, healthy weight loss/toning isn't an overnight thing.

I just (yesterday) started a workout routine with the goal of eventually looking good in spandex, lol. I've got the diet pretty much sorted out (thanks to being diagnosed with gallstones - I lost 16lbs in the two months before the surgery just from changing my diet to a much healthier one to try to prevent the attacks). And now that I'm recovered from the surgery, I'd like to keep the progress going and hopefully add some muscle.

I am one of those people that loathes going to the gym, so I found a beginner bodyweight routine (from Nerd Fitness) that I am trying out. I am so out of shape that I couldn't even get through the whole routine and my legs still feel a bit like Jell-O when I climb stairs today, but that just means there's lots of room for improvement! ;) And then when this routine isn't enough of a challenge, I will move on! But I figured it was a good first step. :)

Well Gama, is tough but you get great results just don't do what I did and go off your diet. If you stick with it you will have a superhero body. I Love T 25 great program I'm going back to Alpha and start the program again :) This time I'm sticking to the diet plan and I hope by the time my tasm 2 Suit comes in I'll be in good shape to wear it and feel like Spidey.

So here is my resource:http://neilarey.com/ No gym,Not an excuse
Haha yes! I use these too. Somehow Neila's workouts make working out seem more fun.

Anecdote: I recently joined a cosplay group that goes to hospitals and charity events. It got me motivated to be more like my superhero persona. I'm training a lot more and have started practicing parkour. I even dabble in bo staff exercises but that's completely for show.

The hardest part for me is being consistent with when I train. I read a comment once that helps me with this: "don't make perfect the enemy of good." If I can at least get into the work out space and do *something* then my chances of making it into a habit are good.

I do body weight exercises that don't require expensive equipment or a gym (although I'm thinking of investing in a $30 pull up bar, the kind that fits over the crown molding of a door frame, and a punching bag).

Diet of course has a lot to do with how fast and how long you stay in shape. I'm trying to be better about cutting out dairy in my coffee (I don't eat dairy otherwise), breads, and chocolate (;_; )*. I notice when I have to make my own meals I think about what it is I'm inputting a lot more. To this end I avoid fast food and prepared foods at all costs.

Good luck!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back