Marvel Now Captain America Helmet! From 3D print to rubber cast with pics! :)

Graphic Jordan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I've been at this for quite a while now, figured it was time to share some pics, as the project is done! Woot!
I was originally commissioned by a buddy of mine to make this helmet for his already stellar costume. So this will be the preverbal icing on the cake. :)

I began by 3D modeling the helmet based on some artwork I was provided, I took creative liberties obviously. I then prepped for print and sent it off to be printed. Once the print arrived, I spent countless hours filling, spraying and sanding until I had the finish looking as damn near perfect as I could. :) At that point I prepped it for molding, molded it, doing the A and Wings as separate pieces, that way they could be tinted with aluminum powders, giving people an option for recessed or relief details. :)

I then prepped the chin cup for print, and did the same steps as above. The strapping was cut and sewn myself as I couldn't find anything I liked out there to do the job right.

She's being sent off to her new owner this week. Pics will be posted of him wearing it when it arrives, be sure of that!

So here are some pics, in chronological order of course...

Reference Material
IMG_1735.JPGIMG_1736.JPG

3D Model
10257707_428184893985744_1100729322028655302_o.jpg

Raw 3D Print
Photo Apr 29, 8 29 15 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 29, 8 29 10 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 29, 8 29 04 PM.jpg

Cleanup Begins
3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Molding Prep
photo1.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.JPG

Molding
IMG_1583.JPGIMG_1588.JPGIMG_1600.JPGIMG_1602.JPG

Finished Mold
IMG_1603.JPGIMG_1604.JPG

Raw Cast
IMG_1612.JPG

Trimmed and Worn - Still Raw
IMG_1631.JPG

Finished Helmet with strapping
IMG_1723.JPGIMG_1722.JPG

You're absolutely right! :) The rubber is tinted blue, and the A and Wings are brushed with aluminum powder before pouring the rubber for those. So yep, no paint, and it's nice and comfy being rubber and not resin.

That looks like a no paint build. I want NOW!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jordan! I hope so too!

This is amazing. I hope it gets the attention it deserves.

We're quite the team. :)

Glad I could help Jordan!

Thanks man!

I does look really sweet! Great job on it :)

For this print I outsourced to Shapeways. However the company I work for also developed and makes their own 3D printer. It's just as good as any ole' makerbot, and it's quite affordable. Check it out here! It prints in ABS and PLA, the rest of the specs are on the page. www.freefab3d.com

Amazing. What 3d printer did you use? Also how much filament did it use?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back