Iracel's "Screen Printed" Spiderman Costume

Iracel

So, I'm back once again. I'm very excited for this build for a few reasons.
  • I will NOT be using puff paint on this costume to get the shiny texture, I will be screen printing. Hopefully this makes the costume way more functional, elastic and machine washable.
  • I will be modifying T Jacks standard lenses to give them that "movie quality" feel.
  • This is my first "Red and Blue" Spiderman costume. :D The first one is black, second one is red and grey, and the third one is red and black.
  • I'll be mixing me favourite qualities of the Amazing Spiderman 1 costume and the Amazing Spiderman 2 costume

It's crazy. Just one year ago I was just modifying zentai suits, now I'm sewing my own and making them better each time. It's pretty cool looking back and seeing my progress.

Black Costume: http://www.therpf.com/f78/black-suit-spiderman-zentai-build-lots-pics-178921/
Superior+Edge of Time+Amazing Costume: http://www.therpf.com/f78/superior-edge-time-amazing-spider-man-costume-made-scratch-190468/
Black Widow Cosume: http://www.therpf.com/f78/black-wido...an-wip-200694/

So, here are drawings for the design of my costume.

The plan is to use midnight blue fabric ink to do the muscle shading. Hopefully it is darker than the dark blue fabric that I'm using. If not, then I'll have to use black. I just hope that won't be a problem since the actual hexagon pattern will be black too. Then make it glossy with coats of gloss primer.
I'll cut the chest spider out of urethane, but I think I'll use ink for the back spider. I'll just use many layers to puff it up at this point. Maybe.

Fitness

I don't know if this will really help anyone, but I hope it does. Since Spiderman is basically my childhood hero, all my exercise sessions have been geared towards becoming as strong as possible while staying lean like Spiderman. I currently weigh 155 lbs and am 5'11''.
Bench Press: 220 lbs
Pistol Squat (single leg squat): 50lbs
Reverse Curl: 110 lbs

I don't have the resources to actually do squats and deadlifts sadly, so I make do with bodyweight exercises. I suppose I can hold a plache, one arm lever, and dragon flags. I've been working on the one arm pull up as my primary goal right now.
So, my advice is strength training. I've found that lifting heavy for low reps is the best way to actually build and shape quality muscle. So I would recommend the 5x5 method for most people. Basically, try to do 5 sets of 5 reps on an exercise. I Once you can, increase the weight. Inbetween sets rest for about 2-3 minutes. This may seem long but when lifting heavy and training for strength, longer rest periods are ideal. It's that simple, but don't think its less effective because of that. Give it a chance and I think you'll be satisfied with the results.

Monday and Thursday
Bench Press
Squat
Upright Row

Wednesday and Saturday
Deadlift (just 1 set of 5 reps)
Pullover
Ab Chair Crunch

This is a good way to start out or even just continue for a decent amount of time. Adding your own extra exercises or replacing these completely is fine, just make sure to work your whole body and stick with the 5x5 method. You could do 3x5 if you really want to restrict the muscle mass, but it will inevitably come as you get stronger. I will definitely post some more fitness things if warranted and answer questions. Stay tuned. :D

Last edited:
Re: The Hybrid Spiderman Build (+ Fitness Tips)

So, I wouldn't just make this thread and have you all wait for me to stitch the costume. Naturally, I'm very close to being done. I made the costume a bit bigger than my actual body because I anticipate growing into it, but with the stretch additive it might be okay to make it tighter.

Y5NcVCj.jpg

I also did some stretch tests and a wash test for the silk screening ink I plan to use. So far its good, but with my stretch additive being delivered tomorrow, I might as well make it as elastic as possible. To make it shine i simply used gloss primer, and I think that will be good enough. Again, I'm not a millionaire. :p In this picture you can see the shine on the blobs of ink. Initially I laid them on too thick, so I think ill just make multiple thin layers on the costume.

ejGJxZp.jpg

Quick bad picture of the costume, HAH!

jr4v6m0.jpg

I'll post a better one soon. The boots and mask are not completed yet.

So, this usually happens at the beginning but I'm not feeling good about this costume. I made this costume for a taller person with bigger legs and wider shoulders to motivate me to reach those goals and so I can grow into it. I'm regretting this decision, because right now the U zipper bunches up on the sides and just doesn't look good. I've tried fixing it by using the embroider stitching as a way to tighten the spandex. It helped a bit, but the only way to fully fix the problem is to grow taller, so... I'll work on that.
For the webs I intend on using latex. I'm not sure if I want the webs to be matte like the second movie, or reflective/metallic like the first, but I've got time for that. Any suggestions on that?
I have done some muscle shading using Dye-Na-Flow ink, which works wonders. Much much better than acrylic spray paint. And I'm making sure to make it much more subtle than my last costume, but of course it is easier to paint in the shading instead of the highlights. I also made my spider.
Pedestrian: But how, Iracel?
Me: Oh, let me tell you. What I did was fold a piece of paper in half and draw the spider on one side. Then I cut it out, and what you unfold the paper you have a symmetrical form (If you did it right). It's pretty advanced, but I had the best kindergarten teach ever to endow this technique upon me. Then i placed the paper on a urethane sheet and traced it out with a sharpie. After about 30 minutes of using an exacto knife to cut it out, It's almost done. I'm currently layering puffy paint onto it to add shine and fill in the poures. Puff paint seems to adhere to urethane much better than acrylic paint, so it's a good thing I have left over paint from previous projects. Here is a picture of my progress as of now. I might just make another spider, because I dont like how short the legs are on this one. I've never personally been a fan of the look of a small chest spider.

OVDXCkI.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Here's a better picture of my problem.

jj6lsNB.jpg

I'm sure plenty of other have had this issue, and I'm aware there's not an easy fix for this, but m going to try to work this out. Just a small update.

And here are pictures. The zipper bunching up is really getting to me, but all I can really do is wait to get taller. :p

egqwXgF.jpg

WoMxabH.jpg

2zeD8BY.jpg

QYnQBuD.jpg

And after MUCH trial and error, I've started to make some leeway on the fabric. Here is another quick test and it's not looking too bad. Somewhat thick but very fixable of course. The elasticity is very awesome, so I'm looking forward to progressing with this method.

EymNcTN.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Iracel's TASM+TASM Homemade Costume

Oh. Uhh, yeah. I just figured at this rate I'd just upload the costume after it's done. Sure, here's my progress.

So, after perfecting my "secret concoction", I applied it on to the costume just like puff paint. I'm still adjusting and learning with this, since it's not quite puff paint. I got my handy new heat gun so I could heat set the ink substance into the fabric. What sucks is that I can't really see the muscle shading, but I don't care too much. If I used a screen printer to apply the ink concoction onto the fabric in a thinner, more even fashion, it'd look very movie accurate I think. In the light, it's reflective, but not "shimmery" persay. When light is not shinning directly onto it, the pattern is either opaque or just invisible. It's a very nice effect. Without further ado, here are the pictures (they honestly don't do it justice, with the camera being on an iPod and all)

26etyVV.jpg

xtzG0U4.jpg

Npmh5cw.jpg

MOE64op.jpg

xHjOpT5.jpg

rdjFYVm.jpg

I also made a new chest spider. Nothing special, it's just slightly wider and has much longer legs than the last one. Unlike in the past, I won't be using urethane for the back spider, just ink. So I made a separate concoction for the back spider, and cut out a paper template to guide me. Thing is, I'm positive that it will be unsymmetrical. Hopefully it won't be apparent to anyone else besides me.

URFwwVV.jpg

So, that's where my progress is now. Thanks for asking. :)

This is great!

So I'm guessing you won't be sharing this secret formula of yours?

Thanks to everyone for the support. Well, uhh, nooo. :p I tried to get help from other people on this forum but they ignored me, so I suppose it's a heavily guarded thing. My mix isn't what they're using, I think, but it looks really good. This costume ended up being a little test on how to use this stuff, so it's a bit messy.

Thanks to everyone for the support. Well, uhh, nooo. :p I tried to get help from other people on this forum but they ignored me, so I suppose it's a heavily guarded thing. My mix isn't what they're using, I think, but it looks really good. This costume ended up being a little test on how to use this stuff, so it's a bit messy.
Haha fair enough man, everyone's allowed to keep their discoveries to themselves :p

I finished the back spider. I'm very proud of how it turned out. Just mixed up a different concoction and continuously cured and layered it until it was as thick as I wanted. It's very glossy and iridecent, of course. When I wear it it's actually off center, but I think there's something with the stitching that I could do to fix that. Even, if I can't, only I probably notice it.

BABazU1.jpg

I've also basically finished the lenses. I bought ASM 2 small frames and ASM lenses from TJack and used plastic as a way to get the "bubble effect the lenses generally have. I Spray painted the frames with blue paint meant for houses, so it shouldbe durable and everything,but it doesn't seem to dry all the way. After it looks all glossy and great like this...

YjGdDoK.jpg

But after actually handling it and everything it looks like this.

jqztyts.jpg

The plastic couldnt really be manipulated too much, but I did get somewhat of a bubble effect. I used a heat guns to make it mallable, but it can wrinkle up so I had to watch out for that. It's also completely clear and hard, so now my eyes and the lenses are protected. Every easy to see out of. After treated the plastic and lenses with defogging agent I am currently gluing them all together with my trust E6000. I'm thinking that ill have to manually paint a coat of the blue paint onto the lenses then a gloss finsih, but there are two problems with that.
1) when the paint is "dry" it looks perfectly glossy, so I don't want to over do it.
2) Painting it on means that there will be visible brush strokes in there, unlike spraying it on, which leaves no markings.

Any suggestions? Help is welcome.

So, Ive made plenty of progress. Ive finally settled on the webs looking like those in the ASM2 costume, but the red shiny hexagon and under pattern is from the first costume. The mask has constantly needed tweaking with the lenses not fully being symmetrical, but I did find a paint that successfully adhered to the frames. So I think I'll now use the other paint because initially it made the frames look reflective and almost exactly like the movie costume. I suppose Ill have to lightly brush it on, since obviously I cannot spray paint it. Ialso attempted to cover the invisible zippers with extended webs, but my first attempt failed. I'll try again. So, here are some bad pictures. :p
Also, this is what the costume looked like after it went through the washing machine and the dryer. Pretty awesome, personally.

9iYb8kG.jpg

Mgb12cY.jpg

2DVpHBS.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back