Iracel's "Screen Printed" Spiderman Costume

Thanks everyone! I'm exuberant that I found a durable, elastic, mostly permanent alternative to puff paint. Now it's a practical spiderman costume. I have a question, and it'd be nice if someone could help me. I have to make the mask again because the lenses were uneven and after multiple tries of leveling them out i ruined it. So, without a faceshell, can anyone give me a great method on how to evenly attach the lenses to the mask?

Thanks everyone! I'm exuberant that I found a durable, elastic, mostly permanent alternative to puff paint. Now it's a practical spiderman costume. I have a question, and it'd be nice if someone could help me. I have to make the mask again because the lenses were uneven and after multiple tries of leveling them out i ruined it. So, without a faceshell, can anyone give me a great method on how to evenly attach the lenses to the mask?
You'll need some sort of stand-in head to place the lenses accurately. You can get foam ones on amazon, but they don't usually have real proportions. If you have friends you really trust you can do a 'duct-tape-dummy' version of molding and filling your head, but it's dangerous business making sure that there's adequate breathing and that you can be freed. If you have a way to scale drawings accurately, you can build up a cardboard version without actually wrapping up your head in plastic and tape, like this:
Making a Stunt Dummy Head Out of Cardboard, Duct Tape, and Newspaper (Part one)

You'll need some sort of stand-in head to place the lenses accurately. You can get foam ones on amazon, but they don't usually have real proportions. If you have friends you really trust you can do a 'duct-tape-dummy' version of molding and filling your head, but it's dangerous business making sure that there's adequate breathing and that you can be freed. If you have a way to scale drawings accurately, you can build up a cardboard version without actually wrapping up your head in plastic and tape, like this:
Making a Stunt Dummy Head Out of Cardboard, Duct Tape, and Newspaper (Part one)

I suppose I could kill two birds with one stone if I did the cardboard head thing, since I have to make a paper and tape bust for sculpture summer homework. Thank you for the ideas.

Right now I'm making a new mask and redoing the lenses again, The frames were bent differently from eachother, so I'm flattening out and trying again. I loved the way the valspar paint looked, so my plan is to put a few layers of krylon paint on the valspar, hoping that the paint will bond together. Then after a gloss coating I'll let it dry until the mask is done being stitched, which may take a while.

I've also been running into webbing difficulty. The fluid was very watery for some reason and the webs were huge on the shoulders. So after peeling/scraping them out I kept trying to redo them but the fluid either decided to dry to be shiny instead of dull or was waaayy too water. So, now it looks rough, and you know what that means. This is officially a "weathered" spiderman costume. xD Plus side, I figured out the problem and will be right back on the costume tomorrow. I also decided to go with the thick web lines only on the torso, in the chest, shoulder, and upper back region. Everywhere else the webs will be thin as intended. So in the meantime I embroidered (my new word for "puff painted" since its not actually puff paint) the back. I also did the muscle shading for the glutes and hamstrings. And that is where I am as of now. Thanks for looking.

I am intoxicated with this costume! I hope my Spider-Woman looks half as awesome as your Spider-Man does. Holy crap. Keep up the great work!

I am intoxicated with this costume! I hope my Spider-Woman looks half as awesome as your Spider-Man does. Holy crap. Keep up the great work!

Im excited to see a spiderwoman.

So, The webs are still shiny,and I can specifically remember what I did that made the matte, but I do have an idea. Very soon I'll make a new batch of stuff and if my hunch is correct, then I'll be very happy. I've wasted a lot of supplies having to throw out bad batches. On the plus side, my webshooters came in the mail. For this costume I decided to buy and modify the Amazing spiderman 2 toy webshooters. I didn't take a picture of them before I modified them, but they're very cheap. Made of rubber, flimsy, and just a shell. There's no "inside" to them. The goal was to do a mix between the Amazing Spiderman 1 webshooters, as seen here.
View attachment 345406

And the Amazing Spiderman 2 webshooters
280px-Asm2-plutonium-1-.jpg

What I ended up doing was painting them with glossy paint to enrich the color and make it glossy. Then I added some glow in the dark "indicator lights" and gears, as seen in the ASM1 webshooters. So far, this is the result
NJzQkJa.jpg

I have yet to spray them with a metallic finish, and perhaps refine the scrapes on it. But that's all for now.

They look really good for a toy.

They werent too bad. I wish I uploaded a before photo of them so you could see the progress. Ill upload photos of the mask and everything else tomorrow. Ive kinda just accepted that I may never achieve movie quality with the homemade method. No matter what I do or how much I plan I'll make mistakes. So I'm trying not to stress out over the many flaws of this costume. :p

HUGE QUESTION! What would be the ultimate, best zipper arrangement for getting into the costume? Something that is very concealed but also easy. If I had to pick one commodity though, then concealed. I'm not digging the U zipper.

They werent too bad. I wish I uploaded a before photo of them so you could see the progress. Ill upload photos of the mask and everything else tomorrow. Ive kinda just accepted that I may never achieve movie quality with the homemade method. No matter what I do or how much I plan I'll make mistakes. So I'm trying not to stress out over the many flaws of this costume. :p

HUGE QUESTION! What would be the ultimate, best zipper arrangement for getting into the costume? Something that is very concealed but also easy. If I had to pick one commodity though, then concealed. I'm not digging the U zipper.

Love the suit. And for the zipper I think that you should try splitting the suit into tights and a top. It would be sweet if you could put both on and have half a zipper on each part. Then just connect and zip around your waist for a movie esque fit. (There were a couple parts where he takes off the top and u see that it connects at the waist) I dunno. Just an idea! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love your design. This is a pretty big undertaking and I wish you all the luck. You are very creative and the more you do it the better you get at it so if this costume doesnt come out as you envisioned it then use the newly acquired skills and make another one.

Love the suit. And for the zipper I think that you should try splitting the suit into tights and a top. It would be sweet if you could put both on and have half a zipper on each part. Then just connect and zip around your waist for a movie esque fit. (There were a couple parts where he takes off the top and u see that it connects at the waist) I dunno. Just an idea! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only that but I'm pretty sure that's how Pete does it in the comics. I think the way Spidersparrow did it for his TASM2 worked out amazing! (pun intended)

He's an old zentai builder here on the forum, check out his Insta cause that's where he posts all his builds. @Reallifespidey

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back