Cloud Car 101

dsp5500

Time to build my self a Cloud Car.
After countless iterations of the basic shape I got to a point where I think it's pretty close. Still working on the armature and engine at this point.
Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 4.40.54 pm.png
Next step turned out to be more involved than I thought. I had to offset the model the exact amount that would be taken up by the styrene during vac forming also taking into account the stretching. Got there in the end.
The parts laid out ready for tool path.
Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 4.31.48 pm.png
Next step cut to size and laminate two pieces of 32mm MDF.
IMG_0211.JPGIMG_0213.JPG
I'll leave them over night to make sure there bonded well.
The left over MDF I'll do the same but for this.
Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 4.56.27 pm.png
Everything should be ready for milling on the weekend and if I have time may do a couple of test pulls.

Rob

Was fun going over a few ID's on the A wing, its easy to forget i guess, and that read shoulder vent got ID'd in the end, which is super cool!

lee

Yeah I know those are not the correct parts lol without measuring them the shape is wrong, but I wanted to know if Lee was meaning what we thought at first (before Guy used if I'm correct some wagon parts ?) being from the RE20.

No they were not RE20, it was another F1, can't recall the kit without a trawl back, ill have a delve, and bag the kit beforehand too lol. To add, wasn't my find ;)

lee

Last edited:
Im not sure I get what you mean. The block is bigger than the parts to be milled, after milling the only flat part of the MDF is the bottom and you end up with something like you last pic.

Rob

If you mean the armature and engine then yep. Working on it now.
Will also do the pilots and articulation also. The full Monty.

I was also referring to the cockpit cage and the detail greeblies. The engine and the back skirt have IIRC been the bigger challenges in previous kits.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back