Cloud Car 101

All my bucks are Hydracal. A dusting of talcum can alleviate release problems.

Scott, silly question: why so many bucks? Are they all for the AT-ST?

What temperature resistant sealer did you use? I once tried to seal MDF for vac forming. I read on several websites of things to use...it turned into a nightmare. My resin bucks are uncoated and release easily.

My mates a painter and he had some industrial high temp concrete sealer, so I took a chance and used some. Its very milky and 99% of it just seeps into the MDF so it doesn't behave like a primer that adheres to the surface. This really just helps with sanding the MDF to get a smooth slightly glossy surface. Two test pulls and they popped out with out sticking or pulling any of the MDF apart So I guess its OK for a limited run. The end result looks like white tinted MDF.

Rob

Count me in for a set of pulls and (hopefully) armature (if the price is not to steep. A bit flat right now, since we're doing a 50k$ refurbishment of our basement)

Last edited:
All my bucks are Hydracal. A dusting of talcum can alleviate release problems.

Scott, silly question: why so many bucks? Are they all for the AT-ST?

Yes, all for the AT-ST: main head halves, ears, top plate. There are a couple of reasons. One is the size of my vac rig... it was built for something else and worked great, I didn't want to build another. It was too small to do both main halves at one time, but one half and the smaller ear buck works great. In hindsight it doesn't matter much because the bucks have held up well, but it was the first time I tried the resin and didn't know how it would hold up if I needed 4 pulls to make one head. I didn't know if I would get even enough for all of the hacking/mistakes that I figured I would make.

The other one forms a .08 sheet to make the top plate. With the sheet curved to the shape of the head top it is much easier to attach. It still takes some time and taping, but I wouldn't want to even try forcing a flat .08 sheet to that curve. I was also worried that the flat sheet could deform the thinner plastic of the main head. I don't vac this one. I just heat the sheet in the oven and hold it over the buck until it cools. Works great.

An interesting note about the top buck. It was made with old, moisture filled resin that foamed horribly. I almost threw out. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I decided to do an experiment. I had just gotten my vac pump and played around sucking the carbonation out of a Coke. Why not moisture out of the resin? All of the HVAC websites talk about "boiling" moisture out of air condition lines under vacuum. I vaced part A, then part B, and then mixed as normal. It worked great! I still had a small bit of foaming, but all of it rose to the surface which is the bottom of the buck.

Finally can move on from the Body pulls onto the armature.
Done a set of test pulls in 1.5mm HIPS and they turned out fine :thumbsup
IMG_0245.JPGIMG_0246.JPGIMG_0247.JPG

Thanks Guys,

hey those shoes make a nice pod-car great job! LOL

You may be onto something there! Want to invest in some vac form sandals?

I need some confirmation regarding the articulation of the pilot.
were both pilots articulated? and was it only the head or the arm as well?

Rob

Ok so armature and engine update.
The armature is more or less ready for machining, I'll see how i go getting these off next week.
From what i can gather the engine cover, every thing in the grey blue colour looks to be vac formed.
So i'll have to mill the plugs and do some tests, But I'm pretty sure there vac formed.
Im toying with the idea of getting some neon tubes made for the engines. I haven't a clue
what they would cost but if there reasonable i'll go for it. IF not then the cold cathode will Suffice.
Any one help with rear shots of the engine area?

Rob
Armature.png

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back