Cloud Car 101

I would if I was intending to do a lot of pulls but I only wanted a couple of sets for my self and now possibly a few more for other builders.
I did look into it though as an option and found a few heat resistant resins specifically for making plugs one being TASK 18 and also a local product but I don't recall the name.
Don't know may still do it for just the experience of doing it.
I did use the highest grade 32mm MDF I could find and got the two layers laminated in a vacuum bag then sealed the plugs with a high temp sealer so they will be fine to pop out a few.
How long did you plugs last for the cloud car and the A-Wing for that matter?

Rob
Thats sounds pretty good Rob that should be plenty good enough
to do more than a few, it's an easy shape to form also so they shouldn't
take a beating.

I build my Pod Car parts out of all Apoxie Sculpt they will be around
forever.....LOL

The A-Wing the main hull I made out of wood (Pine).......I would never do that again!
But that was the 1st pattern I ever made, It really took a beating I had to rework
it. I was thinking to re-do it, as it was always missing that curve that should be in
there at the end of the rear deck. The you're slapping bondo on it and stuff which
is never really happy when the plastic is 350 Deg! LOL And the grain of the pine was
a issue also there were some tough spots in places to sand.

You are using the MDF you you won't have an issue with grain,
thats a plus. Hey if you just need one i wouldn't make yourself
crazy about it, once you get it in plastic your ready to go.!:thumbsup

Once you get it in plastic the game changes.....:D

Looking forward to watching you build both.....no more pics
I am done clogging up your thread. LOL

Last edited:
I used Smooth-On Smooth Cast 305, regular polyurethane resin, for the AT-ST head. I have lost count of how many pulls I have taken and the bucs are still in excellent shape.

I used Smooth-On Smooth Cast 305, regular polyurethane resin, for the AT-ST head. I have lost count of how many pulls I have taken and the bucs are still in excellent shape.

I have one of your pulls for the AT-ST, You done a great job and saved me a lot of time on the build.

When I finish painting the Y-wing and the Geonosian I will start back
on my A-Wing i have a pretty good start on it.

The A-Wing is next on my list as well. Would be good to bang heads on the builds!

Thought people might find this pic interesting...

cc_rodisjamero.jpg

Thought people might find this pic interesting...

View attachment 337816

Its is a nice shot, Always like the cloud car's form and still remember having the cast metal toy as a kid.

Yeah love that pic Allan, from the making of book? Nilo did awesome things, love his artwork!

Lee

I think I screen capped mine from the SAG DVD.

Here's a couple more...
Not sure but always though this shot was the canopy being sculpted?
Cloud Car Build ILM.png

vlcsnap-2014-05-27-12h09m05s75.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-26 at 10.37.45 pm.png

- - - Updated - - -

Allen did you use mini neon tubes for your build? Do you remember what the total length they were?

Yeah, 'Making of' book, Lee (btw, check your FB page). Anyhow, really shows the paint scheme. Wish I'd had it before I painted mine!

Rob, I believe they were 2" - let me see if I can find the link...ah, here it is:

Flourescents

That shot with Nilo really shows the half rounds are more flat on top of the engine shroud that down the sides, Or are my eyes playing trick on me?
Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 12.30.48 am.png

Wow look at the slave......it's a hot mess in that pic! LOL
That's the way these things get made though......there are
times when things aren't pretty that's for sure!!! Those pics
are always the best they show the reality of it all.....LOL:thumbsup

Allan ill go take a look buddy, good to see you here! Yeah that shot with Nilo really throws out some paint theories lol, its pretty dull and id say as first built? Rob i agree they do look more flattened, but thats a tricky call, cameras and all that, i think your drawing looks fantastic. Do agree with you on CC love, I've always loved this ship, was silly to sell off my last kit, but it just wasn't quite, right, and if i can bag a pull set and armature Rob, yeah, i think i can finally realise the model I've always wanted, top job!

lee

- - - Updated - - -

Its is a nice shot, Always like the cloud car's form and still remember having the cast metal toy as a kid.

I think I screen capped mine from the SAG DVD.

Here's a couple more...
Not sure but always though this shot was the canopy being sculpted?
View attachment 337822

View attachment 337824View attachment 337823

- - - Updated - - -

Allen did you use mini neon tubes for your build? Do you remember what the total length they were?

Rob, that shot isn't the CC canopy buddy, looks like the ATAT butt to me, the enlarged Leichter hull?

lee

One looks like it could be the plug for the base.
Theres so much going on in this shot, be nice to get a closer look at the ATAT armatures in the background as well.

I have one of your pulls for the AT-ST, You done a great job and saved me a lot of time on the build.

Yeah, I've noticed in the background of a couple of you pictures. You have done a nice job of flushing it out. I would love to see more.

BTW, shout out to Quincy, Allen, Lee, Julien, and Jason for that armature and the original drawings I based mine on.

What temperature resistant sealer did you use? I once tried to seal MDF for vac forming. I read on several websites of things to use...it turned into a nightmare. My resin bucks are uncoated and release easily.

DSC04894a_zps363a64f3.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back