Pixar's Inside Out (Post-release)

Re: Pixar's Inside Out

It is good to see them giving it a go, but I am worried that Pixar management sees to have lost their focus and that the corporate pressures seem to be taking a toll on them. I hope they can pull this one off successfully.

It is good to see them giving it a go, but I am worried that Pixar management sees to have lost their focus and that the corporate pressures seem to be taking a toll on them. I hope they can pull this one off successfully.

I don't think that it's because Pixar's management has lost focus, it's because they've changed management; Lassiter is no longer in charge, he's been bumped up and oversees a lot more than just Pixar now. While Pixar is still part of his purview he no longer has direct control over it because it's now not just partnered with Disney it is Disney and because of that Disney now has a lot more say in what they produce than they did previously.

I think it was definitely the corporate pressure to do the last two cars films as well the airplanes films due to marketing rather than story and it shows. With Lassiter having to oversee more, certainly management has changed and again from an outside perspective it has hurt Pixar. There have been more director change up as well several people leaving for greener pastures elsewhere. The Canada Pixar facility opened auspiciously and now has been shut down. Disney has also talked about integrating Pixar more into the animation department and there has been rumor-mill talk of just merging it taking away the autonomy they have now.
I hate to think the golden years of Pixar are behind, but I am getting the feeling that might be the case.

I think it was definitely the corporate pressure to do the last two cars films as well the airplanes films due to marketing rather than story and it shows.

Pixar had nothing to do with the 'Planes" movies. That was Disney animation studios copying the look.

Pixar had nothing to do with the 'Planes" movies. That was Disney animation studios copying the look.

While Pixar didn't work on Planes it is set in the same universe as Cars so there is something of a connection. The funny thing about Planes is that while it was made by Disney animation it wasn't actually produced by their theatrical division, it was done by their overseas direct to video division but I think that they had some help from Pixar.

I have to admit i'm not a fan of disney (not since the 80s) or pixar but this thing made me chuckle because it hit a chord with me for some reason. Maybe because we've all thought one thing that we meant to say but the worst possible thing is what got said instead.

New to Pixar, maybe, but it is not a new concept. There have been several animated shots at this premise, even one from Disney itself (Cranium Command).

I am not enamored by this one at all. And I'm a Pixar nut. They usually win me over with superb execution, though, even if I'm not crazy about the premise at first. We'll see.

I liked the trailer, and I think the real world stuff is going to hit all the right notes (I mean it IS Brad Bird)... but... that... joke...

"That's long term memory, you can get lost in there"

"Think POSITIVE!"

"Okay I'm POSITIVE you will get lost in there"

*Groan*

Joke beaten to death.

May I suggest the alternative:

"That's the long term memory..."

"Woah, cool! Long term memory! That's awesome!.........What's long term memory?"

:facepalm

INSIDE OUT Review: Pixar’s Greatest Achievement | Birth.Movies.Death.

"Every human being should see Inside Out. Every single living person should see the new film from Pixar, and not just because it’s a delightful return to form for the animation house that has been wowing us for decade. Every single living person should see Inside Out because it is a movie that reflects absolutely universal human experiences and addresses them in ways that allow us to understand ourselves a little better, but more than that, in ways that allow us to understand other people around us a little better."

I read only the first paragraph of the review and now I've to wait till next week for the late release here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really is my favorite Pixar movie to date for everything that's already been said.

But there is something that I haven't heard mentioned yet that I believe deserves some attention. Inside Out has no bad guy. No antagonistic character who's out to stop our heroes from completing their goal. No evil mastermind responsible for all the bad things that are happening. All the drama, conflict and story come from the characters, and whenever bad things do occur, it's never out of malice. Sometimes there is no bad person, just bad moments.

I saw this Friday night and loved it, as did my wife and kids, it was easily the best Pixar movie that I've seen in a while and probably my favorite movie of this summer, so far. I've felt that the past few Pixar movies, while decent, have been a bit lackluster compared to their earlier works while Disney's have gotten better, but with Inside Out I felt that they've gotten their old mojo back and created a movie that ranks right up there with Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, & Up. It was a touching and heartwarming moving that, as Jeyl pointed out, had no actual antagonist yet didn't suffer from the lack of one. If you like animated movies, particularly Disney/Pixar, this movie is not to be missed.

Great movie but not amazing, I certainly don't have a strong desire to see it again. All the rave reviews also overhyped it for me, I guess I was expecting too much out of this film. There were some quality tear-jerking moments, but overall I felt the story's attempts to explain Riley's emotional changes and her dealing with a new city were too dumbed down and in some parts felt too rushed.

I also didn't care much for the Lava short, felt lacking compared to Paperman and Feast.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back