"gmc-autos" on ebay? (possibly recasting Iron Patriot helmet)

razorsharp192

Sr Member
anyone know anything about this seller? He's selling an Iron Patriot helmet which I'm pretty sure is a recast, but he's adamant that it's his own work (I've been messaging him, and he's even added a statement to his listing now to say it's not a copy). Here's a link:

Iron Man Prop Helmet Full 1:1 Scale Iron Patriot Mk2 War Machine | eBay

Just to back up my theory..... gmc-autos' helmet looks identical to the one "ragestudios" (also a documented recaster if i remember rightly?) was selling on ebay, to the point that even the flaws in the casts are the same. here's a couple of pics

gmc-autos' version
$_57.JPG

and ragestudios version
$_12.JPG

from here Iron Patriot / War Machine Iron Man Helmet Wearable Cast Costume / Cosplay | eBay

You can see the flaws in the cast in the "forehead" lines look the same. I messaged gmc-autos asking if his helmet is a copy of the ragestudios one and he told me he didn't know who that seller was...

anyone know anything about this seller? I'm not saying he's definitely a recaster, but the evidence suggests he might be

Well, I don't know who's recasting from who or who's who in the zoo, but these two helmets definitely are the from the same original... Sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have definitely been pulled from the same mould, but you are operating on an assumption, that this seller must have recast. There is another alternative. Perhaps this seller aquired this helmet from ragestudios and decided to resell it, or even purchased the original mould? Regardless, they claim
this is a helmet that we have made and not a reproduction of someone else's work. We have other helmets we are working on at the minute. Thanks for looking
is clearly a demonstrably false statement.

They have definitely been pulled from the same mould, but you are operating on an assumption, that this seller must have recast. There is another alternative. Perhaps this seller aquired this helmet from ragestudios and decided to resell it, or even purchased the original mould? Regardless, they claim is clearly a demonstrably false statement.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this seller is definitely a recaster (I actually hope he isn't as I'm interested in the helmet), but the evidence suggests he might be unfortunately. I'll gladly hold my hands up and apologise if i'm wrong. It doesn't seem like he's just reselling 1 helmet he bought from ragestudios, because he says they're made to order, and also he stated he's never heard of ragestudios. The other possibility is that ragestudios recast his work, but ragestudios has been selling this helmet for a while now, and this seller has only just started selling it, so that scenario seems unlikely.

If it walks like a duck etc. Unfortunately he probably is a recaster. Making an item to order can be as simple as pouring resin into a pre existing mould. I don't believe it would be cost effective way to make a new helmet for every new customer. While It may be true he has never heard of ragestudios, that does not preclude that he may have bought his helmet from a third party (who is in someway connected to ragestudios), or is even lying? Recasters can get a bit squirrely when it comes to creating excuses. It is nice to see a member prepared to forgo a desired prop for fear of it not being quite "legit". I suspect quite a few "backroom deals" go on with certain props of questionable provenance.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back