SPOILER ALERT! X Men DoFP Oakley glasses

Yeah that's true. Well one way to get an idea of what the mirror would look like is to take the VR-28 Lens and use chrome window tint and apply it to the inside. It would give an approximation of what the mirror would look like if it was actually coated. By the look of those screen-caps it seems the pattern on the lens is different than the way its done in the promo pics. I could do the actual red mirror lenses if someone could make some of the blank Radarlock lenses in plastic already precut to the shape of the movie ones.

Looks like the movie pair uses a very flat verion of the sideblinders. It's a shame they took them off to take those promo photos.

attachment.php

4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Attachments

• cyclops-dofp-comp.jpg
    cyclops-dofp-comp.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 5,428
Last edited:
This is definitely going on my "to make" list. Though I'll probably use some knock offs. I wouldnt be willling to risk modding originals personally for the price. Anyone else notice in those sceen caps that the smallest line in the bottom corner of the lens seems to be missing?

I'm going to whip up set myself, I only plan on modding the lens though by adding the blinders to each side after cutting it to the right shape. The top portion of the frame looks good as it is.

I think the lines on the promo photo are drawn in photoshop. The angles and lengths of the lines are off from the movie version.

The frame looks to be totally stock. It's definitely a recut lens, and the additional frame pieces on the bottom of the lens, and the sideblinders. I'd be content with the glasses in the Oakley pic without the sideblinders, personally.

Nah I like the Positive Red Iridium a lot. I'm just playing around with the shape and size of the design before I cut it on the vinyl plotter and apply it to the lens. After that it's sculpting up the bottom frame piece and side blinders and then paint. Should be a fairly simple project. Then I try to ID the wardrobe if possible, or find something similar enough.

Honestly just because I won them on eBay with the positive red iridium lens for under $100. I can sculpt around most of it easy. Wil lit be 100%accurate? No. I'd put it in the 80-90% range though. Good enough for me for a costume based on a few seconds at the end of a movie. lol But yeah I chose them for lens color and price. I'm building my first home and we close in less then 2 weeks so money is key.

Here's my stab at it. I designed the decals in a vector program and had them printed by a local shop out of white vinyl. Very easy to stick on. The lenses are just black iridium -- I made them red in photoshop. Rusty, could you possibly put me in touch with the lab that did all your insanely good lenses? I'd like to make a Radarlock Edge lens (like the one in the image). It's close enough to the Cyclops shape, without being too small for my face. Next up: the blinders.

cyke_1.jpg

cyke_2.jpg

Attachments

• cyke_1.jpg
    cyke_1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,977
That will be what color the lens would turn out, so lets hope the lab is able to do that. I've never brought any large single lenses so I can't really say until I have something to bring in to show them in person.

It's looking good Zenkai. I used a similar process based on the screenshots of the movie I drew up the design quickly in Illustrator and print it out of paper and cut it and then moddd it till I got the shape and size to my liking. I then used the vinyl plotter at work to cut them out of silver vinyl. I'm going to hold off no applying mine for now because first I want to mask off my lenses and trim them down with my dremel to a more accurate shape then they are currently. Then I'll apply the vinyl and sculpt up the bottom frames and side blinders. after that its simply a matter of repainting the frames. It's a fun project so far.

Here is what my vinyl looks like. I made a bunch of extras incase I screw it up.
2014-06-12 10.33.02.jpg

Rusty i can't wait to see how your lenses turn out.

In the mean time, while I'm still working on the Radar lenses with Rusty, I decided to do a little custom job on my X-Squared shades. Same decals, just truncated a bit differently to fit on the X-Squared lenses. Again, the lenses were "helped" in Photoshop, but these are some ruby lenses that look pretty red in real life anyway. SZ1_5886.jpgSZ1_5889.jpgSZ1_5891.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back