Another Apollo project - LLRV 1/18 scale

wonderfully crisp, extreme detail, can't wait to see this finished but I do love the documentary build photo's after all the proses is the fun part of making things.

Joe, I'm pretty sure Armstrong flew the LLRV you are modeling as well. At least the footage I saw with him ejecting was sans a cover (just the windscreen...)
R/ Robert

Last edited:
Hey, guys, thanks very much, and thanks for the bump, shaunsheep -- you're right I need to switch back to this from the LM-5. I've just got a little momentum going on that build right now that's keeping me away from the LLRV. Oh and there are some LLRV engine parts I couldn't push past -- but stay tuned.

Mind-blowing!!! I'm totally subscribing. Hey, is this the unit that Neil Armstrong had to eject from, or is that the other one?

Hi, Asalaw -- I thought Armstrong punched out of an LLTV but sources say it's the LLRV-1. Robert saw a video where it didn't have the cockpit cover so it must have been an LLRV. I couldn't find any pictures of LLRV-1 so far -- I've been trying to search for one. However, the model they made for HBO's From The Earth To The Moon to shoot the Armstrong sequence seems to be an LLTV, so I'm really confused.

I looked up the pictures too, and now I'm even more confused than you guys. The only Armstrong ones I could find in the air were either surrounded by a fireball or wrecked on the ground with his chute in the BG. Also one of him posing with one in a test suit, but I can't tell if it's the same unit.

I've seen the footage many times, it's often presented in docs as the decision that got him the job as Apollo 11 commander due to the split-second judgment that saved his life. But that footage is in 16mm, and fairly grainy. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, but I didn't look it up because I thought it might not have enough information in it. I suppose it's worth a look... ?

Oh - that was the odd-looking LLRV with the Bell 47 cockpit. I couldn't find much info on it except for these 3 shots:

B5gmHfg.jpg

PBAbv9T.jpg

k4msycq.jpg

I don't know if Armstrong actually even flew in it. It's a totally different vehicle from the LLRV that I'm building.

I did a little readup, by the way, to clear up my LLRV confusion and came up with this. There were 5 vehicles in all -- 2 LLRVs and 3 LLTVs. LLRV No. 1 was the one Armstrong ejected from. Initially it had the open cockpit and caster wheels but it had been designated as LLTV A1 after being modded to LLTV specs (LLTV 3-axis side controller and enclosed cockpit vs LLRV cyclic and stick, open cockpit) and was in LLTV incarnation when Armstrong ejected from it. LLRV No. 2 (NASA 951) was similarly refitted and is currently on display at Dryden/Edwards AFB CA. Not sure if if it's always open to the public but would love to get shots of that one. I see some pics on the web but I'd take closer shots if I could. It had been cannibalized for parts, though, so it now sports a mock-up engine). The model built for HBO's documentary From The Earth to The Moon was based on LLRV No. 2 (NASA 951).

LLRV No. 1 -> Modified to match LLTV (side controller, right-side control panel, enclosed cockpit) -> Redesignated LLTV A1 -> crashed 8may68 Armstrong ejected safely
LLRV No. 2 (NASA 951) -> Modified to match LLTV; redesignated LLTV A2 -> Last flight 13jan67 -> currently on display in a hangar at Dryden/Edwards AFB CA
LLTV B1 -> crashed from gusty winds; pilot Joe Algranti ejected safely
LLTV B2 -> crashed 29jan71 from electrical system failure; Instructor pilot Stu Present ejected safely
LLTV B3 (NASA 952) -> currently on display (hanging from the ceiling) at Johnson Space Center TX

Some LLRV No. 2 (NASA 951) shots of the actual vehicle and HBO model:
http://www.americanspacecraft.com/pages/lunarmod/llrv2.html
http://www.hutchfx.com/fx/HutchFX/web/gallery/fx/etm/llrv/llrv.htmlhttp://www.hutchfx.com/fx/HutchFX/web/gallery/fx/etm/llrv/llrv.html

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back