Homemade sunglasses?

jonnytrooper

Sr Member
Hi, I have drawn out a "to-scale" template for a pair of sunglasses. I was wondering if it's possible to make then out of styrene? I want a fight club look, like the oliver peoples OP523. The only problems I can think of would be: stability and how to install lenses. It has a very simple design, so I know how to install hinges and all that. And I will put the cuts in the plastic underneath the bridge, by cuts I mean that when unscrewed, I'll be able to open the frames a bit, to install lenses. But should I make a sort of groove inside for the lenses to rest in, or should I just epoxy some lenses to the back of the frames? Any help is very appreciated,

-Jonny

Seriously, go to your local eyeglass store and ask to see some frames. I used to work at such a place so I know that frames are made with grooves in them to hold the lenses in place.

If you know what make and model the sunglasses were in Fight Club, you should be able to find them on ebay or on the internet and that would save you the trouble of trying to make frames from scratch.

Well, the sunglasses used in the film come up on ebay a few times a year. Last time they were up, they sold for $950, and they weren't screen used or anything like that.

I just talked with a representative of Oliver Peoples, and she said that they are planning on re-releasing the ones in fight club, what with the 20th anniversary coming up. So scratch the whole homemade idea...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back