RIP H. R. Giger

budgeysmuggler

Sad news, H.R Giger has died after a fall : «Alien»-Schöpfer H.R. Giger ist tot - Schweiz - News - Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen

I was, or am planning to visit the Giger exhibition at the Museum in Chur this December.
Sad news

"HR Giger died on Monday afternoon at the hospital from injuries he had sustained in a fall. Learned this SRF News Online from the environment of the family. HR Giger lived and worked in Zurich-Seebach.
Born HR Giger 1940 in Chur. In 1962, he moved to Zurich, where he studied architecture and industrial design. Even at this time Giger was an artist. After graduating in 1996 Giger worked as a designer and interior designer, but quickly turned exclusively to art.
Films like "Alien" by Ridley Scott (1979) and "Species" by Roger Donaldson (1995) coined HR Giger with his distinctive style. 1980 HR Giger won an Oscar in the category "Best Visual Effects" for "Alien".
Gained international recognition with his often dark Giger sculptures, but also with his paintings and not least furniture. Numerous retrospectives devoted in recent years to the overall work of the artist."

Last edited:
Re: H.R. Giger dead

Thanks for the nightmares, Sir.

Rest in Peace

PS: @ budgeysmuggler: Would you please revise the title and spell the man's name properly? Thanks.
Edit: Changed by Mod.

Last edited:
For creating the most haunting brilliant and macabrely beautiful monster of our time and that strange, strange world it came from, H.R .Giger, your talent will never ever ever be equalled !!! And now the creation will outlive its creator! I'am so down heartened to hear this news this morning, another uniquely visionary artistic treasure is lost to us! I'm going to draw the bloody curtains and watch Alien again tonight. So gutted.

Noooooo!!!! :cry

RIP, you will be missed.....

1h4eog.jpg

Last edited:
Very sad news. First artist that really inspired me as a child. Made papier mache monsters with bits of pipe, and asked for an airbrush for my birthday after reading about him in a newspaper article when Alien came out. Spent the rest of my life trying NOT to be influenced by him. Very hard to draw a creature without adding ribbed tubing somewhere.

Rest in peace, Hansruedi.
The world has lost a tremzndously talented artist, both inspired and inspiring...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

When it comes to designing something that is truly different and hauntingly unique, Giger was a master of his craft. Rest in Peace.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back