Cal-Hab Judge MacNeil

Scoots3567

Seems there's something in the water, in Cal-Hab. I thought I'd share a build I've been working on (slower than I'd like) since February, and which I've been showing as a WIP on the Facebook Judges groups in the UK & the USA. A fair bit of favourable response over the last few months, I am pleased to say, given it's my first straight build in over 15 years.

It's a faithful comic build, in all but one way. In Cal-Hab Justice, the Judges are spoken of as using clay mores, yet they are pictured with claybegs (the great sword, versus the small sword). The basket handled claybeg came to prominence in history through its Lowland/English connections and origins. The claymore, though, was a weapon of the clans of the Gael long, long before that.

So for my build, I commissioned a con-friendly claymore, from the very talented Darren Langthorne of Purgeworx Props. He didn't fail to deliver me something I find quite special.

But, to begin with, I started with the toughest part- the one I want to nail just right. The lion buckler shield.

I used cardboard (yup, guilty!) and cut out my large pentagon, having sketched out my lion's face from the classic John Ridgeway McBrayne poster (my pal Kelpy's favourite) and cut and stapled the sides inwards, to make my curves, before I soaked it in pva glue. I covered it in newspaper and repeated it several times over, then when that was dry, I turned it over and repeated the process on the inside.

After this, I skinned the cardboard in worbla, resulting in a nice tough lightweight shell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
On to stage two. I drew out my lion face on a section of EVA foam matting, having broken it down into layers, for a 3D look. I don't like the flattened look of the black and white Ridgeway drawing, and prefer the colour version. I cut out my pieces and fixed them to the worbla skin.

The green of the mat was off-putting, so I took my pics of this in B&W.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 239
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I have now heatsealed the foam, and sealed it with several coats of PVA glue, prior to filling and smoothing out the features.

I sourced a "Skip" CalHab lid, which needed some work, following a lengthy search. The lid he made had smooth resin, and the helmets I have seen painted up from these were too glossy and sleek looking for my taste. I wanted a look more like roughened iron. I heated the lid first and altered the shape of the nose and cheek guards, to hug the face more, to make the lid more practical looking. Then I coated the whole thing in cold cast aluminium resin and left it till tacky, before "blotting" it with fine sandpaper. This had pretty much the results I was hoping for (thank Grud! It was an experiment, after all). Then I sprayed the whole thing in a couple of layers of black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 246
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI covered the whole thing in a layer of hammered silver Hammerite (more in that, in a moment), then I tried giving it a wash of black acrylic. More fool me. Hammerite is GOOD stuff, if you want to use it for a final coat, outdoors! It repelled the washes like water off a ducks back! I ended up using an old towelling rag to blot the acrylic dry from the tube, straight on to the lid. Even then, it seemed to repel or absorb much of the paint. After 6 heavy coats, I was reasonably happy, and the lid is almost ready to have the visor and lining fitted.

- - - Updated - - -

Now to the jewel...my bonny Beastie. :D

As I said, commissioned from Darren Langthorne, of Purgeworx Props (the SW lads will know him), his brief was to create a con-friendly proper claymore, in the Highland style, and (sadly) shortened around 10" for convenience and transportation - bearing in mind I live several hundred miles from the Scottish mainland, and have to fly for convenience. Last year, I had to post my lawgivers to the con, prior to arrival, as they wouldn't let me fly with them in my hold luggage. Man, that was a worry, and costly. Not again.

So, Darren started with 20mm HPE for the hilt, which he shaped and then drilled to fit an aluminium shaft as a core for the "blade". The base of the blade was shaped from hardwood, the remainder from balsa. Once shaped, Darren skinned it all in Kydex and painted and sanded and filled and sanded and painted, until..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 230
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

It's a thing of beauty, I believe. Overall length is 44". His work is superb. The sword is light, yet very well balanced - I know my swords - and will be a dream to patrol with, at the "Gathering of the Clans" in London, this July. Brit-Cit Justice Department are looking to gather the most Judges ever contained under one roof. I shall be attending with my son, who will be following in the footsteps of neo2daz's son, and both the lads shall be patrolling together as cadet Judges, in a 2012 style.

My saltire belts are being made for me, by Lee Morrisroe, a professional leatherworker of some repute. The jacket is a nice navy blue leather piece I have sourced (it can't be anything else, or it's not Cal-Hab - it IS the saltire, after all!;) ). The kilt will be my own MacNeil of Barra tartan, which I have worn since my 18th birthday (still fits nearly 30 years later - the mark of a well-made kilt). The boots and gloves I have sourced and am making my own adjustments to, in white leather - as per the comic - while the elbow pads are totally home made. Some heavy black EVA, heated, shaped and trimmed, with lining foam as an inner layer. Covered them in white craft leather and then added chrome dome head split rivets, for the studs. These will be fixed to white elasticated cotton, and slide on and off the arms.

It's my intention to fix the left foam based shoulderpad with Velcro, while the lion buckler shield will be attached to an old police riot pad, and velcroed at the shoulder, with two straps securing it to my arm at bicep and elbow, much like the bicep strap on the 2012 armour.

That's pretty much it for now, other than that my gun will be boot mounted - again as per the comic. I'm hoping this will be my own Brit-Cit Lawgiver Mark 1...time - and the schedules of two special friends of mine - will tell. :D

Last edited:
On the subject of weapons, though, I intend to add a non-canon secondary firearm, inspired by the MegaCity One shotgun - although bearing in mind the ... nasty... blunt streak, which we Scots are sometimes accused of. The American Judges have their WidowMaker, while we CalHabbers have our BawzBlaster...

I shall spray this up, and dry brush it with silver, attaching it to my left hip by a long belt chain. It just seemed...appropriate ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgBeen playing around with some Foamex, some thistles I cast and some RTV silicone (great stuff). Then pop in some PU with cold cast copper for the letters and thistles, and bronze for the rest...

I was after a realistic alternative to the block yellow and red comic badge. So I chose bronze and copper.

Its just a rough, bit of fun, with some "detail" added to the cast, courtesy of poking my thumbnail into the Foamex at random points.

Any opinions, guys?

Feck me! The helmet turned out AMAZING! Prefer this to the smoothed out versions I've seen. Yours defo looks the part and moreso!
That broadsword and MK1 Brit-Cit LG looks fantastic, as does your MacNeil shield. Thumbs WAY up!!!

Thanks, man, that's great praise. I had a chat with neo2daz, a good friend and "mentor" - and a helluva talented painter of lids - about this, and decided that, as CalHab have gone back to roughly the Dark Ages (burning peat and coal as standard), there will be a few reeking lums (that's smelly, dirty chimneys to you non-Jocks) to deal with. Means things needed dirtied down - particularly the lid... Plus, we Scots are renowned more for blades than guns, and this will be a well-used lid. So axes and cleavers cause a fair bit of damage. Add that to the spot and dirt, and this helmet needed some adjustments.

So here it is, and with visor fitted (like a glove, I'm delighted to say!)...last pic, modelled by our newest CalHab Judge Cadet. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last post about the helmet, I promise, until the whole costume is assembled. It's now detailed, weathered, lacquered and lined, and I'm feeling a teeny-tiny bit pleased with it.

'Tis a blighted and dangerous place, the Caledonian Habitation Zone. If it's not the damned drunken Clansmen, with their axes, chibs, cleavers and shotguns, it's Auld Sawney Bean and his pack of bloody cannibal mutant wildcat lycanthropes...

Armour takes a fair auld bashing!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back