Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain Punished Snake (Big Boss) costume lots of pics!

mackle89

Well I finally have something to contribute! I'd really only consider this my second costume build, certain things were hand made, but everything was heavily modified, like changing the design or in most cases adding a lot of "wear" or discoloration to make everything look more authentic. It was definitely a fun build as it was my first time working with foam, and making a cast for a latex prosthetic! I got to wear it to Wizard World Minneapolis here in MN this past weekend and we had a blast! A lot of people loved my costume! I had a lot more "in progress" build pics but sadly the sd card on my phone got messed up and I lost like half of them :/ I will list the pics I have and a brief description what I did, or used them for. But here you go, hope you all enjoy it! I know I did!

Made the eyepatch myself out of a piece of foam, some leather and deerskin lace
eye.jpg
knee brace
knee brace.jpg
boots...
boots.jpg
The arm gauntlet things are made from a plastic for sale sign to give it some sturdiness, then covered with foam for a little more thickness and wrapped in fabric, the diamond dogs patch can be found on ebay
arm gaunts.jpg
The shrapnel "horn" was sculpted out of clay then cast with latex brushed into the mold then painted
bb horn 2.jpg
Glove is made from a leather glove I had from a previous costume, simply cut the fingers off, stole a strap from a winter glove and sewed it on
bb2.jpg
Sadly as I said I lost a lot of the in progress pics, especially for the cybernetic arm, which I am pretty proud of being my first time working with foam for a build.
bb4.jpg
bb arm 2.jpg
The SPIE harness was made by a member here, The Ronin, cannot recommend this enough, he did a terrific job!
10173657_447734198663600_7172883467068967081_n.jpg
The olive-tan with black tiger stripes camo doesn't really exist so I basically made my own, I used these as a base
cam01.jpg
and using dyes and watered down acrylic paints turned it into these so they are more accurate, I am pretty happy with how they turned out
bb camo.jpg
Swat vest, gi style OD belt, pistol holster, shemaugh, and canteen
bb7.jpg
Back pic with butt pack
back.jpg
As a last minute costume my friend came as a grunt I could beat up
20140503_205333.jpg
20140503_205347.jpg
;)
big boss 1.jpg
14103654951_5649992508_h.jpg
13920242597_6f58295ad1_h.jpg
This concept art, along with various screen shots is what I was going for
5d91632b6bfbf14e7207014ab7197197 (1).jpg
And this is what I ended with, I'm happy with how it turned out :)
bblast.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain Punished Snake (Big Boss) costume lots of pics

I am SUPER pleased that you're happy with the harness. I'm beginning to think that I should do a Punished Snake after I finish my revisions on Naked Snake (again)

Re: Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain Punished Snake (Big Boss) costume lots of pics

And I assure everyone I was posing with a stern face to more fit the Big Boss profile earlier haha, this was just at the end of the night and I need some pics before I took everything off.
The harness is awesome, I would like to do Naked Snake but I want to take advantage of the SPIE harness and next time just unleash a weekend of Big Boss, I want to do the Peacewalker version, re tweak Punished Snake, and most importantly, do stealth sneaking suit snake from Ground Zeroes..
nogogglesnake_610.jpg
anyone got any tips on where to go for learning how to sew...

Last edited:

Great work. You followed the reference art very close.
The cyber arm looks real nice.

The harness is awesome, I would like to do Naked Snake but I want to take advantage of the SPIE harness and next time just unleash a weekend of Big Boss, I want to do the Peacewalker version, re tweak Punished Snake, and most importantly, do stealth sneaking suit snake from Ground Zeroes..
Luckily the SPIE will work for ALL of those. I still actually need to make one for myself.

Hi mackle! I'm really interested in making my own Big Boss costume, particularly the robotic prosthetic! Yours is by far the best I've seen out there! I was wondering what you used for the trousers and shirt for the costume? I think painting the stripes really is the way to go! Getting all those straps and harnesses will be quite the project, though!
Thanks for showing your awesome work!

John

Last edited:

Hi mackle! I'm really interested in making my own Big Boss costume, particularly the robotic prosthetic! Yours is by far the best I've seen out there! I was wondering what you used for the trousers and shirt for the costume? I think painting the stripes really is the way to go! Getting all those straps and harnesses will be quite the project, though!
Thanks for showing your awesome work!

John

Thanks for the kind words! The camo shirt and pants are just Military BDU's, I started out with Tru-Spec brand All Terrain camo then painted them all a very light tan with watered down acrylic paint, a combination of white and light brown then mixed with water until it's about milk consistency, I believe I did two layers, then I painted the stripes on with watered down black acrylic paint, pretty straight forward.

Yeah after seeing the newest trailer a few weeks ago I have been making plans to go back and rework most of this costume as it was pretty quickly assembled for a con. But I plan on doing way more accurate and I am going to remake the cybernetic arm with wonderflex, so hopefully I will have some updates on my v2.0 build soon.

Thanks for the kind words! The camo shirt and pants are just Military BDU's, I started out with Tru-Spec brand All Terrain camo then painted them all a very light tan with watered down acrylic paint, a combination of white and light brown then mixed with water until it's about milk consistency, I believe I did two layers, then I painted the stripes on with watered down black acrylic paint, pretty straight forward.

Yeah after seeing the newest trailer a few weeks ago I have been making plans to go back and rework most of this costume as it was pretty quickly assembled for a con. But I plan on doing way more accurate and I am going to remake the cybernetic arm with wonderflex, so hopefully I will have some updates on my v2.0 build soon.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give my local Army Surplus a look next time I pass by for the shirt and pants and try painting them over like you!

I never heard of it so I googled Wonderflex and maaan I think that will definitely come out pretty sweet! I can't wait to see your updated build!
The new trailer is fantastic! And with the scarf out of the way in the cremation scene we all learn about BB's shoulder insignias having the MSF logo on the right pad and the Diamond Dog's on the left! And that loose belt dangling in the back like a demon's tail is an interesting detail.

I wanted to ask you aswell if you would consider making a replica iDroid for your costume. That'd be totally sweet!
Right now I'm going over possibilities with a friend about making a Phantom Cigar prop for my own costume. The night shots of the cigar in the trailers look pretty sick and hopefully the end product will atleast come out decent.

Goodluck with your next build I can't wait to see and thanks for the advice!

John

I have lost track of how many times I have seen the new trailer, I love it. Sadly I'm not cool enough for an iPhone so im not sure about the iDroid haha, but maybe I could try and making something out of a cheap phone case, we'll see and ya I'm trying to figure out a phantom cigar as well.
Good luck with your build too, start a thread and keep updating!

I've been thinking of "upgrading" from MGS3 Snake to Phantom Pain's version for a while now, I'm not particularly liking the design choices of making him look more like his voice actor though but yeah I agree with everyone in the thread that a Phantom Cigar would be a nifty prop to have in hand- why not just use a real E-Cigar and modify it to look like Snake's so you can get some real vapor going?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back