Elysium Max Exoskeleton

Started a new two-part mold for shoulder connector heads:

u01.pngu02.png

A batch of connectors. I do 4 at a time because that's how many fit in my pressure cooker for autoclaving.

u03.pngu04.pngu05.pngu06.png

New vacuum setup with fixtures still working well:

u07.png

Last edited:
I've been working on a custom vacuum assist chamber for casting large parts:

I also got a 360 camera so now I can video blog & live stream the work on this project in VR. The editing should also be fun.

360.png

Lastly, I am continuing to make rubber molds for the remaining parts:

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

07.png

08.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sharp work, as always...and the addition of a vacuum assist chamber will certainly be a +:) Keep up the good work!

There is amazing work and dedication on display here. Bravo to you Sir! Having been a guest at Weta for a short time, I can assure you that the quality of your work certainly matches and in some cases, exceeds what they did on the original suit.
Well done, thank you so much for sharing all of your hard work and please keep it up! I’m sure that the finished product will be outstanding.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Another 360 video of trying out my new vacuum chamber:

I keep having to manage "denial" - someone just told me again that casting the bigger parts using Ultravest molds is a waste of time and I should go back to shell casting. I wouldn't need a new vacuum chamber and custom flasks that I'm spending so much work on. But my previous experience with shell casting was such a nightmare that I can't bring myself to spend another $1000 on three bags of silica sand, a drum of suspenda-slurry, and then spend two weeks building a shell, without knowing if all that time is a complete waste until the last moment. At least with Ultravest I don't spend 100 hours and possibly end up with nothing. I guess I will schedule some shell casting classes and see if I can use their foundry to cast my last 7 large parts.

This crazy work:eek Just the molds and now shell casting: complicated for sure! Keep up the excellent job; you are a machine, since the bar you've set up with this project is unattainable for most of us:cool

Cannot believe I missed this thread. Great work, truly awe inspiring. I really love the movie and am in the process of making the AK bullet encoder, I have an actual AKM deactivated to put it on. You plan to have a prop like that also?

Hey, thanks! The suit is largely a stage prop for playing guitar, so I probably won't combine it with the augmented AK.

I followed advice on building more shell layers, pre-steaming the pressure cooker before putting in the shell, steaming for a short time (30 mins instead of 2 hours) and repairing cracks /adding another shell layer after vitrification. I have one final problem with a frozen surface in parts of the cast. Here's the video of this attempt:

Here's the frozen effect. I poured at 950-970 and I skimmed a film of metal off the top, but it filmed over just as I was pouring.

1714351536033308396.JPG

9676111536033299833.JPG

Today I got shell casting to work, with continued (incredibly strong) support from The Home Foundry forum.

hot01.pnghot02.png

Things are looking up! I might be able to finish next year.

I got a USB temperature logger that works with my K-type thermocouple, so I can overlay a live temperature feed on my next metal casting video.

1.jpg

2.jpg

logger-graph.PNG

output.PNG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back