Elysium Max Exoskeleton

Great work, very ambitious. I'm working on a similar project (Kruger's exosuit) and this thread is very inspiring.

Are the computer fans meant for cooling your body? I think that's a good idea. I just hope that the grill on top is intake, not exhaust, cause it's aimed at your face. :)

The fans are mounted kind of haphazardly, but I think there is a way to orient them to designate where the intake and the exhaust directions are. The movie suit has vent holes in the same place, so I decided to install fans to give the vent holes a reason to exist.

When you are making your suit, note the forearm bottom piece has a rail it slides apart on, to support people with different limb lengths. I made mine of several parts, but didn't see the sliding separation until it was too late (don't want to spend two weeks to redesign). The upper arm does the same thing, and I designed that one as one piece as well because I couldn't figure out how to make it slide. Of course my upper arm is not screen matched at all (didn't like the screen version with Kawasaki on it).

Great update! It`s really complex to make for sure, so I`ll be waiting eagerly for the next update; keep up the great work!

Moving on the chest base, the bend is approximated for now. The ridge geometry is not an exact screen match, but it's the best I could do with references I had last year.

chest-blocked.png

Received and primed many of the exoskeleton costume parts. The chest model has a lot of unexpected complexity, will take another week or two.

01.png

01b.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.png

Exoskeleton costume references:

08.png

Last edited:
Oh yes:eek; seeing that Exosk laid on that table is a sight to see (and appreciate the effort behind its construction). Great work and eager to see the next update:cool

Amazing photos. May I ask where you bought the rod end bearings and how much they cost? Are they metal or polymer? I did some research and the cheapest I could find are 2.2 euros per piece.

Thanks for following my thread and all the encouragement! The bearings are polymer, which is supposed to increase their abrasion resistance in real-world applications. I ordered directly from Igus because that's where Weta got theirs. They ship from Germany, I think my order was around $100 for 24 pieces. Then I noticed that I was 2 short (plus I plan to make two of these suits) so I will order another batch at some point. Ordering was a bit weird, they call for confirmation early morning on weekdays and don't take most of the usual credit cards.

http://www.igus.com/iPro/iPro_02_0038_0000_USen.htm?c=US&l=en

I have a pretty accurate 3D model (Inventor IPT) exportable to STL, in case you want to print them yourself + polish & paint to save money.

Last complex part (chest) awaiting final size verification before printing. Then another week or two for a handful of simple parts left to model, and onto pistons. I will print piston caps and look for alum & plastic pipes of the right size to put together the pistons. If I can't find the right pipes, I will hit up Zorro or another industrial supply place and get thick-walled tubes so I can machine them on a mill to get the right profile. After that, months of polishing and priming, all culminating on casting the lot out of Alum and more months of polishing, priming and painting (it never ends!)

exoskeleton-front.gif

exoskeleton-back.gif exoskeleton-side.gif

exoskeleton-p1.png

exoskeleton-p2.png

exoskeleton-p3.png

exoskeleton-p4.png

It will be fun to count out the parts when it's all printed :) I hear it's in the 250+ region.

All modeling has been completed, planning another two weeks for fine-tuning, parallel with figuring out the lengths of all pistons, capturing that in individual model instances (template piston model has existed for some time), and integrating with the assembly file that links all parts.

Done this week... Upper arm "twisted" connector:

upperarmtwist.png

Back side connector (I know, exciting!):

backsideconnector.png

Shin guard "lock" for the side opposite shock plate:

shinlock.png

Shin guard:

shin.png

shin2.png

Shin extender (you could build almost anything with these):

shinext.png

The new leg/foot assembly with all parts included:

footassembly02.png

footassembly01.png

Piston template ready to be instanced:

piston.png

Second iteration of the mounting harness. I decided to make this first to make sure that measuring piston lengths will be more accurate. First iteration... is being worn as we speak by some homeless person. I can't believe what kind of stuff people would steal. Third iteration will have custom 3D-printed grommets to fit the look better.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away :)

05.png

06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

Worth the effort? I think so. Thanks to a fellow RPF member who helped me prototype the chest parts (fits on first try! The months I spent on this piece paid off).

10.png

11.png

Fans slide into the chest plates as envisioned. The batteries too.

12.png

13.png

14.png

And the fans work!

15.png

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 379
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 379
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 404
just found this thread and its amazing. I love that you are learning as you go, and providing us with so many pics.

was the computer on the back of his head a found object or custom made for the costume?

Thanks skillsthebarber :) The computer was custom made. You correctly noticed that I didn't model it, this is because I am the opposite of bald (for now) and would have no place to put it. Anyone interested in contributing to my project (remember, I will have STLs available for the community) can model this piece.

(screen used refs)

14959825.jpg

14959823.jpg

14959819.jpg

headpiece-and-cables.jpg

Regarding those spacer mounts, someone suggested they look like cable grommets... This is the closest I could find for now:

http://www2.trelleborg.com/en/Indus...ons/Single-gates/IP67-Series/T-VET-Series-PG/

Attachments

• head-plate.bmp
    2 MB · Views: 379
Last edited:
[Edit]

Pre-final piston lengths, unique pairs:

Back Bottom: 100mm
Back Top: 50mm
Back Middle: 35mm

Tricep: 130mm
Leg: 130mm
Clavicle: 100mm

Hip Front: 95mm
Hip Middle: 75mm
Hip Back: 70mm

Shoulder Front: 90mm
Shoulder Back: 115mm

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back