Elysium Max Exoskeleton

Today I mocked up the wrist clamp which is still drying, to be polished and assembled tomorrow or Thursday evening to check fit.

I also measured out forearm, bicep and shoulder bracelets that attach exoskeleton bones to wearer's body. The movie suit has bloody bandages in those places which looks bad, so I will use 30-mm tall bracelets with two slanted rail holes to make them look like any other shockplate. Belts and buckles on the back for comfortable attachment and easy removal. I may be able to finish modeling them tomorrow evening.

Another task was to come up with a definitive setup for reading finger movements with potentiometers hidden in pistons on the forearm. The wires from each finger will be routed there, and the goal (at least for now) is just to be able to have potentiometers move in nearly-constant ratio with each finger, reading voltage from analog channels in Arduino. In the future that could be used to control UI elements hanging in augmented reality space, such as joysticks, keyboards, sliders, and video windows. I bought the EyeTap book to build AR goggles later. Of course just using bend sensors like in PowerGlove would be easier, but won't look as cool. Using LeapMotion would be way more precise but again won't look as cool.

assembly.png

parts.png

Last thing for today is starting to model the per-finger routers shown mocked up in air-dry clay above.

[EDIT]

Routers modeled, need another hour to refine geometry. Starting on bracelets tomorrow.

routers.png

[EDIT2]

Wrist clamp proto in progress

IMG_1811.JPG

Last edited:
The forearm muscles (extensors and flexors) are both in mid-tension when the hand/wrist is in neutral position. In order to relax the extensors fully the wrist has to be pushed backward as far as it will go. Likewise for the flexors. During use, neither set of muscles is ever fully relaxed. Hope this helps!

Your understanding of the "pulleys" and tendon sheaths keeping the tendons close to the bone is also correct, just like the rings on a fishing pole keeping the line next to the rod.

Regarding the magical mechanism that causes fingers to close in a spiral (JPH), I ended up giving metacarpus exo-bones some slack to rotate in their mounts. This appears to work just fine since this is not a real exoskeleton for force augmentation. Metas are connected with plastic belts on the bottom which lets them move as if they were attached with screws without worrying about screws breaking the material apart, plus allows for limited twist and rotate motions.

I see what you are saying, ahoudini, the springs should be connected so that resting position stretches them by certain small percentage while fully flexed position compresses them completely and fully extended position stretches them to maximum point. Of course I am making many major anatomical simplifications here by modeling only the flexing part to do the job of flexors and extensors together like in robotic hand toy.

[EDIT]

Clamp came out a bit too small. Air dry clay remains a quick way to prototype without messing with paper and glue too much.

IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG

[EDIT]

Forgot that since forearm will have double-ended pistons, the non-shaft end has to be attached somehow. Screwing it to a nylon belt will be unsightly, so I need one last small part for the hand assembly - the Piston Mount. Shown below, they look like little coffins with a hole for mounting the piston and two exhaust port holes to make them look useful.

Photo0649.jpg

Last edited:
Finally getting close to finishing arm assembly. The bracelets (now placed as you can see) will need another couple iterations, and then of course the complex setup of miniature pistons. The proto bracelets are drying along with forearm piston mounts to be finished and photographed tomorrow, then computer parts can be adjusted based on the protos.

wbracelets.png

wbracelets2.png

wmounts.png

Protos for the parts are ready. Another failure, the belts can't hold the bracelets in place so they slide down. The bicep and shoulder bracelets would actually be held up by the piston connection at the shoulder and clavicle, but I don't feel safe relying on that, so I would like them to hold their own. Went to the Mill End today (my favorite sewing store in PDX) and re-supplied on belts and buckles for the hand parts, and got some stretchy belts of various kinds to try on the bracelets. Also buckle sliders to control the slack. Then stopped by hardware store and got tubing to make forearm pistons. Since tubing is readily available in exactly the size I need there is little need to 3D-print, so maybe I will just print the caps with rod ends.

DSCF2841.JPG

DSCF2830.JPG

DSCF2831.JPG

DSCF2834.JPG

DSCF2837.JPG

DSCF2840.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks joberg! Picking this exosuit for my first prop project was both a great and terrible idea, but I promised myself I will finish everything I start.

Proto'ing pistons with metal tubing turned out to be a horrible idea. Using the tube cutter disabled my fingers for a week (not going to post the terrible pictures) and after hours of beating on the tubes with a mallet I managed to force thinner tube into thicker tube only for one out of 5 pistons. When you cut alum/steel tubing with tube cutter it crimps the ends slightly so they no longer slide onto each other tightly - rather, not at all. I will proto out of clay again this coming week. Fitting springs into them is also super problematic.

DSCF2844.JPG

Prototyped the hip exobone for size and fit. It looks too small when you hold it in a hand, but turns out it's the right fit when adjusting for piston connections at the top and the fact that the bent plate at the floor end will hit the other side of your knee when you bend your legs enough. Glad I spent the time to be sure. Wood proto looks horrible, sorry for the quality.

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

Thanks, and I appreciate your tips on painting 3d prints! You did such a great job on Star Citizen that we flooded you with build detail requests :)

Today I made a clay proto of the shoulder blade, pretty happy with the size. After re-scaling in Inventor I spent most of this week rebuilding geometry and almost done with left blade, then still have to do the right one (which is mirrored except for text, and has a different circuit pattern on the bottom). Was hoping to get that done today, but didn't anticipate mounting the blade on clothing would take so much time. Used rubber gasket sheet on the other side to anchor. Obviously it's too heavy for a spot-anchor, the finished suit will have to have a thick rubber/belt framework underneath to hold everything together. And once again, I have a difficult requirement of making it work with a tank top instead of t-shirt, so there's even less space for concealing the under-anchor.

IMG_1851.JPGIMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1859.JPGIMG_1873.JPGIMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

Still need to finish prototyping the arm, this time tried plastic. Clay was not high-res enough to make end caps and rod ends. Shafts are still polished alum.

IMG_1899.JPG

Fantastic job (difficult for sure)...yeah, the "under suit" will have to be sturdy, yet not too bulky, to attach the various pieces to the T-shirt...keep up the incredible job:cool

Thanks! It's actually not a complicated project, just work-intensive (especially because I have zero experience in every single thing I attempted from CAD to finishing).

This thanksgiving was 1-year anniversary of starting this project. I got the first large batch of parts in:

all.JPG

arm.JPG

hand.JPG

shoulder.JPG

A couple of the parts are finished with primer and ready for paint (upper arm shown here propped at an angle to get some specular):

finish1.JPG

finish2.JPG

I primed with 7 coats of Tamiya Fine Primer Light Gray (takes 3-4 cans for each part):

prime.JPG

The Tamiya primer and finishing sand paper are both better than sex.

Got my first airbrush for painting:

paint.JPG

Also got some finishing stuff for after painting:

wax.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back