Elysium Max Exoskeleton

CNC milling that latest part you posted would be a pretty challenging undertaking. If I were handed this part to fabricate, like OldSkool said, I would probably have to do a good bit of reverse engineering on the important parts (drill points, etc) to ensure correct tolerances are met. That and running something this complex would probably take the better part of a day or two once all is said and done. If it were printed, I'd do a quick check on the stl mesh, click print, and then carry on with some other task. If rigidity / durability is such an issue, I'd look at molding the 3d printed part and then casting with an aluminum filled resin. Weighs a ton but is rugged as hell. On top of that, if you were to cold cast that resin, you'd have a hard time telling that it wasn't an actual billet machined part without really giving it a close inspection.

Last edited:
Looks like most of the parts are a 5-axis job, first few shops said they can't do it and referred to others (also I assume the quote would have been a few grand per part). Had a lot of trouble finishing the upper-arm piece in AC due to bends, plus I got other parts on horizon where I require the "Engrave" feature of Inventor, so I'm finally switching to Inventor. This project is not really doable on AutoCAD. Because of the switch I need to convert the piece back to 2-D (some changes I made to 3D version I didn't back-propagate), and ended up re-designing for closer screen appearance. That will take another iteration or two before it goes to 3D again, but whatever.

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

GP,nice work so far bro I'd love to see this when your done. So you play an axe the majority of my friends are all local metal and hardcore musicians keep up the great work.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I love me some industrial metal. Dead Animal Assembly Plant just opened a show for Mushroomhead in a local venue here, they had some good material. Not to mention the headliner of course, my favorite band for a long time.

First iteration of the same part after switching to Inventor. I messed up in some places so it will have to be redone, but probably only once (since Inventor actually has a 3D operation history much like 3ds max's Modifier stack). This is pretty tight, it actually gives you the weight (just over 1lb for Aluminum for this one), center of mass, and even the Moments of Intertia matrix, which you could use to calculate angular velocity generated by a force applied off-center on the object. That's pretty much all you need for a sophisticated physics simulation.

inventornew02.PNG

inventornew03.PNG

inventornew01.PNG

Wow GP, that's cool bro Mushroomhead is Bad Ass Grazt on opening for them . That prototype isn't half bad it's actually quite good keep up the great work.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

The M5 bolts through the upperarm to the front 'L' shaped piece should be cap heads. Also that part off the back where you have a KARM fastener should be a metal connector.

Oh, ok, people here call those "Socket heads". The "head" seemed a little too tall so I tried round heads instead. I will check to see if it looks better with sockets. On the top hole, you are right, there is a connector piece. I've been looking at this part for so long I started forgetting how it fits into the big picture.

Re-design in Inventor took a long time because it's very detail-oriented. Anyway, just started getting quotes for subtractive manufacturing. So far the estimate stands at around $20,000 to manufacture the whole suit out of Aluminum 6061:

$2000 - upper arm left and right
$1700 - hip left and right
$1000 - shoulder left and right
$2000 - chest
$700 - upper back
$700 - lower back
$1100 - pelvis
$2000 - hands
$1600 - forearms
$800 - elbows
$700 - shins
$700 - feet
$5000 - pistons

I got a half of that available, so I am contemplating whether to give up and go with additive manufacturing or spend an extra year saving money to have enough for the whole thing. So I guess it's "are two years of my life worth it" question. So far I am leaning toward yes.

For comparison, additive is around 50% of the price.

quote.png

After contemplating this issue, I decided to research additive methods a bit more, and get some samples. I have 7-8 other projects like this one planned, I decided that spending two years on each one is a bit unreasonable as a significant portion of my life will pass :)

Besides what was mentioned in this thread before, does anyone have pointers on painting a 3D printed surface to look like a fat coat of "model car" paint with metal paint underneath (to show through when upper coat is chipped or scuffed?) By model car paint, I mean the thick multi-coat layering that's glossy and looks cool. Kind of the way expensive metal model cars are painted when they are supposed to be "realistic". I've seen tutorials from somebody painting a Terminator skull to look like metal, but it looked cheap. Let's say I want to try top-shelf stuff that looks really good - any suggestions?

Thanks!

I officially decided to go additive, trying to decide between RapidMade and Fineline at the moment. RapidMade is more price competitive and they have a material that's easy to paint, plus they are on my way to work whereas Fineline is in another state.

Still re-creating stuff I already did in Inventor, shoulder blade assembly close to being done (still need the upper shoulder connector).

shoulder blade.png

back shoulder.png

shoulder side.png

shoulder assembly another.png

$20,000. horey sheet. alternatively, you could get a job as a cnc miller and do it all for free plus or minus ten years haha but for that price this thing must look great, cant wait to see it!

Some progress on leg assembly (added connector from knee to yet-to-be-modeled shin guard/shock plate):
hip shin assembly.png

hip assembly.png

Arm assembly with two new connectors reused from shoulder/back and mock pistons of wrong size added (so far all pistons are one size, just to preview):

arm back.png

upper arm assembly.png

arm front.png

I decided I'm going to light the whole thing up to give it cyberpunk feel, so those circuit-looking holes on the front of the upper arm are there to look like glowing circuits. Same with shoulder blades posted previously, some geometry which was sunk in the movie instead of being cut all the way through, I cut through to create lighted interest.

Got upper arm shoulder printed at Fineline. Not bad resolution, but surface quality is pretty average. Planning to sand/prime/oil paint if possible, still in research.

IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG

Getting more this week from RapidMade, different material.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back