3D printed Obi-wan Lightsaber

That looks absolutely amazing! Do you have any pics of that cool internal part you printed?

Also thank you very much for posting that video! I'm going to use that technique on quite a few builds now, hehe.

Good job! The print lines on the grenade and booster really resemble the machining marks found on metal parts.
Clever idea to have the parts interlock to one-another.

That's what I was thinking too. This is one example where leaving the lines looks good.

This is too cool!

Your saber looks great!

I'm in the middle of trying to model a prop in 3D myself, so you have my utmost respect for your 3D skills. What software did you use?

Thank you for sharing your build, this is some awesome work and is very well presented. This really solidifies my thoughts on the viability of successfully 3D printing lightsabers.

How does this multi-quote thing work?? It doesn't seem to do anything...

Anyways. Thanks for the comments!

Your saber looks great!

I'm in the middle of trying to model a prop in 3D myself, so you have my utmost respect for your 3D skills. What software did you use?

I use 3D studio max. It's not the ideal software for doing 3D prints, but that's what I use for work so it's more of a comfort level thing. I would imagine something like solidworks would be better and not as destructive as blender, max or something similar.

Thank you for sharing your build, this is some awesome work and is very well presented. This really solidifies my thoughts on the viability of successfully 3D printing lightsabers.

Thanks! I think the big distinction for me would be the 3d printing on consumer level printers... while a commercial printer can literally make anything, it's actually affordable to do now with consumer ones.

Please please please do a run of these. I would love to have one.

I wasn't planning on doing a run since I made the files available for free. What you can do is go here: 3D Hubs: Local 3D printing services and 3D Printers Find a local printer near you, direct them to the file and have someone make it for you. You'll save on shipping and time. But quality will depend on person/printer.

One thing to note though, there are two versions of the lightsaber. the 4 piece one is currently available, it is easier to print but not quite as accurate.
but this crowd is probably keen on the accuracy, so you might want to wait for the 14 piece one to be available (which is the one shown in the pictures). That one requires specific printing instructions to get the most out of it so we haven't made that one publicly available yet.

That looks absolutely amazing! Do you have any pics of that cool internal part you printed?

Also thank you very much for posting that video! I'm going to use that technique on quite a few builds now, hehe.

no problem, The internal part is the right most part in this picture.

IMG_20140428_030734-e1399102724283-1024x576.jpg

You can see where it fits inside the clamp.

Lightsaber_renders.jpg

It serves a few purposes, it gives the buttons a little bit of a give if you push on them. keeps the buttons from falling into the hollow section, and large enough for a laser pointer to be put in there. If you look through the little cut out holes on the right side, you can see some detail so it doesn't just look hollow.

I was initially thinking of putting in a thing that holds the crystals as some of the more detailed props seem to have, but I didn't want to over complicate and miss the May 4th date. Maybe later...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back