3D printed Obi-wan Lightsaber

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post on the RPF and I'm so happy with how this came out. It's actually a Christmas present for my brother so hopefully he wont see this, lol.

I knew before I even printed the first part I needed at latest to add lights, the plan was to add sound but I had a bit of a disaster with the circuit board. But a new soldering iron (A Christmas present, I don't no about, lol) will help when I make my Lightsaber.

So below is some photo's and a video, what do you think?

James.

View attachment 568692View attachment 568691View attachment 568690

https://youtu.be/7HVFsxPaP3Y
Super terrific work!

I'm curious what method you used to light this saber?

It doesn't look dissimilar to the method ccodonnell0992 of imgur used in this post: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/tZcEa/comment/585985251

"For the Jedi it is time to eat as well"

Hello everyone, my first post I design Luke Skywalker lightsaber ROTJ V2 I complete exterior now i design the chamber crystal parts..
12745924_10207844683022409_607770970599464332_n.jpgFile 22-2-16, 10 47 46 ??.jpegFile 22-2-16, 9 58 55 ??.jpeg

12745924_10207844683022409_607770970599464332_n.jpg

File 22-2-16, 10 47 46 ??.jpeg

File 22-2-16, 9 58 55 ??.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the 14 piece kenobi and it is truly impressive. Wow! The attention to detail and the quality of the print are fantastic. I'm hoping to paint it up this weekend. It's nice to have a very affordable option to the nice metal replicas which are quite pricey.

...and here it is!

This is next to a 4 piece version done on a crappy machine. The quality was poor, so it was my test piece for painting. The nice one is on the left...you can see the difference in quality especially in the windvane and grenade:

A closer shot:

Thank you! This was so much fun to paint and put together. The painting tutorial was really helpful as well. I'm going to try to make one more in the style of 'as first built by'. I don't want it quite pristine, but no rust...just a little wear.

It was secretly hidden in post 198

Yeah, the demands of life prevent me from reading every post in a 9 page thread. Those look to be just the files, I don't have a 3D printer and I'm kind of new to the 3D printing game. Is there a way to get these printed, is their a Shapeways or Etsy seller? Did a search but I ended up with pages of results. You know how search engines go, I typed in "Obi-Wan Lightsaber" at Shapeways and got over 600 results, to include Kylo Ren saber parts, because, you know, Kylo Ren and Obi-Wan are so similar.........

Yeah, the demands of life prevent me from reading every post in a 9 page thread. Those look to be just the files...

I completely understand. I was looking for them too and just happened to have found them when I saw your post.

There's a "Print on 3D Hubs" button on the top-right. I've never done it, but it probably loads it to an account on 3dhubs.com where you can print it at some local 3d printing place in your town. Give it a whirl?

I completely understand. I was looking for them too and just happened to have found them when I saw your post.

There's a "Print on 3D Hubs" button on the top-right. I've never done it, but it probably loads it to an account on 3dhubs.com where you can print it at some local 3d printing place in your town. Give it a whirl?

I'll give that a shot, thank you.

Thank you! This was so much fun to paint and put together. The painting tutorial was really helpful as well. I'm going to try to make one more in the style of 'as first built by'. I don't want it quite pristine, but no rust...just a little wear.
Can't wait to see that either, keep up the good work! [emoji106]

Hello everyone, my first post I design Luke Skywalker lightsaber ROTJ V2 I complete exterior now i design the chamber crystal parts..
View attachment 595265View attachment 595266View attachment 595267

Just curious The Keeper if you have any plans to make your 3D designs for the V2 publicly available? It's terrifically made.

"For the Jedi it is time to eat as well"

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the first post...

He made it readily available:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/star-wars-lightsaber-complex-version

I printed off just the clamp a few months back on shapeways, so once you have all the pieces downloaded you can do with them what you like-- he released it to the public. I don't recall the exact price, but on shapeways the complex version was still close to $200

Great to see this is still alive and kicking! :D

Don't forget about the Pin fix for those having troubles printing the small parts:
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/light-saber-pin-and-switch-revision

3D hubs is a good choice if you can find the right seller, be sure to choose PLA or PET(G). ABS will cause you undo stress.
Keep in mind I designed this on an Ultimaker so if you have that as an option -that's a safe bet. There are a ton of people who have successfully printed it on other printers. But some printers will do rafts on everything which will also not be so good for this design.

Lastly we offer kits now, if it makes sense for you great! if not, 3D hubs may be able to get it to you cheaper since it's local.

IMO, shapeways/Imaterialize services aren't worth it for this model since it's designed specifically for FDM printing on Desktop printers. Usually you go to shapeways for things you CANT do on desktop printers, and paying a premium for it. Unless you need specific materials and finish, it will be pricey to go with shapeways.

Here is a raw print from our shop:

007-Print-to-Order.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back