Your most recent original prop or costume acquisition

How did you mount the rifle on top of the glass, I am sure it is obvious but I can't see any mountings.

First, I replaced the cardboard backer for the frame with a sturdy but thin piece of mdf. Next we laid the prop over the poster and marked to places on the plexi; one just in front of the mag well (the point that holds the weight of the prop) and one just above the buffer tube (to keep the prop at the right angle. From there, we drilled holes through the plex, through the poster and through the new backer board. We put in long screws that had very large, flat heads that were colored a blackened brass, that tends to fade into the gun and the photo. The gun goes in between them and then rotates clockwise between them until it is locked in place by gravity and its own weight. It comes off in seconds, but would never fall off.

I was really nervous about screwing the mounting up and was quite pleased when it worked beautifully, just as planned. That is a rare thing. If I get a chance, I'll take a photo in the studio, so you can see it better.

I am building a couple of those spears right now! Thank you for the reference photos!!!

Spot on :thumbsup

It's from Troy, when Achilles storms the Trojan beach-head with the Myrmidons. It's almost 8 feet long and has a retractable spearhead that collapses and slides back inside the spear shaft each time a Trojan was 'dispatched'

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae153/nidgit/nidgit044/Spear3_zps4c7f9a06.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae153/nidgit/nidgit044/Spear4_zps08bd52cd.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae153/nidgit/nidgit044/Spear2_zps1674d344.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae153/nidgit/nidgit044/Spear1_zps47b8f2d6.jpg

Thanks guys. The spear also has some very fine (what looks like brass) tubing running down the either side of the shaft to carry the 'blood' when someone get's impaled. It's sunk just beneath the surface of the spear so it's barely visible and there are two small holes at the end of the shaft were the blade is. It's a very nifty design.

First, I replaced the cardboard backer for the frame with a sturdy but thin piece of mdf. Next we laid the prop over the poster and marked to places on the plexi; one just in front of the mag well (the point that holds the weight of the prop) and one just above the buffer tube (to keep the prop at the right angle. From there, we drilled holes through the plex, through the poster and through the new backer board. We put in long screws that had very large, flat heads that were colored a blackened brass, that tends to fade into the gun and the photo. The gun goes in between them and then rotates clockwise between them until it is locked in place by gravity and its own weight. It comes off in seconds, but would never fall off.

I was really nervous about screwing the mounting up and was quite pleased when it worked beautifully, just as planned. That is a rare thing. If I get a chance, I'll take a photo in the studio, so you can see it better.

Thanks for the explanation Art. Great idea and execution.

I picked up these Helboy 1 & 2 production dental prosthetics recently and thought I'd throw them all into one display. The level of detailing, especially the Doug Jones Angel of Death teeth, shows you what a true art form creating these really is!

Teeth Display complete.jpg

That's genius, and one of the coolest prop displays I've seen, it looks like a window into the film! :cool:thumbsup

I showed this in the very first post, but wanted to show how we ultimately displayed this piece. Since we had an AMAZING photo of Ben Foster holding our gun in nearly a perfect profile position, we had the photo printed as a poster and the screen used gun mounted over the photo of the same gun. We particularly love how the prop "breaks" the frame and comes out of the photo. Pretty happy with this one. (Sorry for the reflections on the poster)

That is BRILLIANT, Art. I'm stealing this idea! Great stuff.

Don

Thats a truly awesome costume!! Congrats!! It was worn by a guy called Kevin Foster in the movie. If you ever want any behind the scenes info on it he's a helpful guy and very approachable!!

Kevin Foster: Creatures

seen this on ebay for several months price was to high to take the risk it was from Man of steels production .then 2weeks ago the prison belt was relisted for $150 and i won it
its with a friend who checked it out for me and believes its from the film

from the photos it looks great all the detail that was added to the belt for something we don't really see that much is amazing .my plan is once in hand have a frame made that will have the belt and above a zod replica emblem

10357531_1426920047582765_8515121663168094563_n.jpg10175008_1426920060916097_6950593165680075263_n.jpg10428656_1426920074249429_3396098583277420751_n.jpg10177366_1426920087582761_6783469909710456592_n.jpg

seen this on ebay for several months price was to high to take the risk it was from Man of steels production .then 2weeks ago the prison belt was relisted for $150 and i won it
its with a friend who checked it out for me and believes its from the film

from the photos it looks great all the detail that was added to the belt for something we don't really see that much is amazing .my plan is once in hand have a frame made that will have the belt and above a zod replica emblem

View attachment 336589View attachment 336590View attachment 336591View attachment 336592

This is indeed a production made belt. The white acrylic sheet molded into the black urethane is a give away and the fact that there's no holes drilled into the middle piece where the chain would be fixed shows it was unused. I have the screen used shackle set worn by Zods right hand lady Faora-Ul and this belt matches completely. Congrats on the price!!

Darren

This is indeed a production made belt. The white acrylic sheet molded into the black urethane is a give away and the fact that there's no holes drilled into the middle piece where the chain would be fixed shows it was unused. I have the screen used shackle set worn by Zods right hand lady Faora-Ul and this belt matches completely. Congrats on the price!!

Darren

Thanks. Reason we wasn't 100% sure was because the photo the seller had used just showed the the shape of the belt and very little detail so when it was in hand showed right away it was from the film

I've found myself picking up lots of screen used dental prosthetics recently and I just displayed these from the Lone Ranger. They're a hero set of prosthetics worn by William Fichtner as the movies bad guy, Butch Cavendish. They have a gold tooth and a small hook on the gum line to give him the appearance of having a cleft lip. I went with a sand and bullet themed display inside a 5 x 5 acrylic cube.

display 1.jpgdisplay 2.jpgdisplay 3.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back