History of Snowtrooper Commander helmet at Lucas Archives

Zachilles

Hi all,

Starting this thread in the hopes that RPF members can accurately fill in the blanks. Can anyone provide insight as to what happened to the actual Hoth Snowtrooper Commander helmet used in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back? I am aware that the Hoth Snowtrooper is still around and has circulated through various museum showings, but what about the Snow Commander? Does anyone know what happened to the helmet prop at the end of ESB production and does it still exist at Lucas Archives?

snowt_commander01.jpg

Hi all,

Starting this thread in the hopes that RPF members can accurately fill in the blanks. Can anyone provide insight as to what happened to the actual Hoth Snowtrooper Commander helmet used in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back? I am aware that the Hoth Snowtrooper is still around and has circulated through various museum showings, but what about the Snow Commander? Does anyone know what happened to the helmet prop at the end of ESB production and does it still exist at Lucas Archives?

View attachment 318979

I wish I could give you an answer, but if it's not at the LFL archives, well it's either long trash or sitting in someone's attic, as all the other screen used helmets seemed to have

Could you describe the difference? To me, the auction helmet looks a lot like the photo in the original post with the exception of a floppier face section.

Just curious.

The only difference is the to metal badges on the sides. And of course he wears commander rank on his chest plate. The helmet that sold is yellowed with age, has green lenses and the vinyl is crinkled now too of course but it essentially the same helmet.

Could you describe the difference? To me, the auction helmet looks a lot like the photo in the original post with the exception of a floppier face section.

Just curious.

The only difference is the to metal badges on the sides. And of course he wears commander rank on his chest plate. The helmet that sold is yellowed with age, has green lenses and the vinyl is crinkled now too of course but it essentially the same helmet.

The only similarity is the fact that they used the same dome and eyes/goggles. The face plate is solid-formed plastic which has a form fit, as well as recessed nostril details. This hard "cowl" wraps around the back of the neck area, but spaced with a significant gap from the rear of the helmet

1422528_10152307871651628_2088872421309939740_n.jpg

The rest of the costume itself is different from the snowtrooper, only using base armor components, but with completely different details

500px-Snowtrooper_Commander.jpg

500px-TS_full.jpg

Nice job, I stand corrected. Great photos! Where did you get them at? Where they in one of the Lucasfilm archive books?

The pics I posted are fan-made replicas. I used these as a quick visual since they show front and back. These costumes are reasonably accurate so it's sufficient for this topic

Figure I'd post again in this thread for the sake of maintaining it's history.

Prop store, as of now, has a set of production-made snowtrooper gear, a helmet and backpack. The story is that one of the prop/costume builders had taken these unfinished pieces. The backpack was allegedly cut along the bottom-grey portion carefully to allow his child to store his toys inside of (that's what we're told).

How this is relevant to the Snowtrooper commander is that now this provides public* proof that all snowtrooper helmets had the nostril details on them- just as we see with the commander helmet. What I believe to be the final sculpt used for the production used helmet forming bucks also had these nostrils.

img-8903-1492201866636_1280w.jpg

img-8910-1492201866625_1280w.jpg

* I say "public" as this was something most of the community speculated, but apparently this was "common knowledge" among the "higher-tier" collecting community

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back