Templates for DIY Luke ANH Vintage Graflex Customized D-ring + Clip

Sym-Cha

Master Member
Hi there,

I've had many requests in the past regarding my own custom design of Luke's ANH vintage graflex
D-ring and clip, alas it was a indeed a very, very limited run, that being said however if you are a bit
handy with metal wire and thin metal sheet then here are the templates that were used by my silver-
smith in the making of them.

Please read all the instructions carefully . . . before you even get your dremel in your hands!

Here's the template for the clip:

D-Ring7.jpg~original

and here for the D-ring:

D-Ring9.jpg~original

You'll need to turn a 2.5 mm steel wire several times around a rod of 24.0 mm in diameter. Then cut off a full circle
and bend it according to the template to make the D-ring. Or you could just bend an O-Ring which has to be about
2.5 mm in width and with an inner diameter of 24.0 mm.

Now you saw a straight rectangular piece 43 x 19 mm out of thin metal sheet wrap it in the center around the D-ring.
DO NOT SAW THE GREY BITS OFF YET!!!
Hold it in the middle of your graflex bottom. Then and only then will you see where exactly to saw the round ends off
mark them onto your sheet so that the edge goes smoothly along the inner edge of your graflex bottom and the clip
is placed nicely in the center.

Here is what it finally should look like:

D-RingClip_00013.jpg~original

D-RingClip_00008.jpg~original

D-RingClip_00004.jpg~original

I used a rivet to hold it onto the bottom however you may hear the sound of the tiny piece that's left inside.
Just put a small droplet of super glue inside the rivet to make it stop rattling.

Also here's a template how to align the D-ring+ Clip with the graflex clamp:

luke_anhgrips.jpg~original

If you need more info don't hesitate to ask. Good luck and show us your graflex/lightsabers soon, okay?

MTFBWY,

-Chaim

Last edited:
Yeah I could make one pretty easily... but how crips would the edges be? Not very. Not with the tools I have.

So if anyone WITH the tools and straight edge skills wants to make a couple, let me know and I would be in!

Thanks Luke the Belter ... that's very kind of you and excellent replicated D-ring + clip ;) ... I still like my customized design over any fabricated D-ring

:)

Chaim

You're very welcome cyberpyrot :) ... I finally hope to finish my own Luke ANH graflex based lightsaber this year :wacko

Chaim

Update ... there's a new sabersmith in town by the name of Roy Gilsing ... and he decided to replicate my custom designed D-ring + Clip ... as well as some new T-track to my specs based on original close-up pictures of several lightsaber props ...

(Picture courtesy WannaWanga.com)

... so for those of you who are unable to use my template nor have the time to track down a proper D-ring ... here's the thread made by Roy Gilsing with all the info you seek ;)

http://www.therpf.com/f79/various-custom-build-lightsaber-parts-original-trilogy-228132/

Also you may check the Junkyard for Roy's FS threads :)

Chaim

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back