"It's Dad's Grail Diary" - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Grail Diary

Luke0312

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm proud to finally show my handwritten Hero plus all B prop pages Henry Jones Grail Diary.

I decided to add all the B prop pages since a true Hero would not include some pages which were even shown in the film. I also through it would make a more interesting piece and add some variety to the repeating signatures.

Been in the works for quite a while. It required experimentation on many different techniques, from binding, aging, handwriting, to finding all the correct materials. They diary contains all the correct text from the Matthew's source book, which was also provided the scans for many of the images in the diary. Correct page order throughout, contains all the correct inserts as well (even the full tablet/shield rubbing). To provide additional realism, different paper types were used on every insert. The only time the same type paper was used was for matching items (i.e. astronomy sheets). It also has the correct page corners turned.

I never was happy with any fonts I found, even with adjustment, the fact they were computer generated was still obvious. To that end, I decided true handwriting was the way to go. So, I spent around 20 hours a week for about a month working on my "Henry" handwriting, a lot of it was just reteaching my self how to write in cursive (been about 25 years), then adjusting the style to that of "Henry". I used several pens with different nibs, as the original diary also had different weights to the text depending on the page. I believe the two really add to the realism. Once each page was complete, I would scan it and fit it to the page.

I have to start off by thanking a couple of people. First off Marviana Jones, he provided many of the drawings for the diary, a very talented guy. Also need to thank MurdocXXL, he provided some guidance with aging issues I was having, very helpful.

To start out, I had to build several items used in the binding of the diary, in particular a press, sewing frame, plow, piercing cradle, and drying rack (not shown). While none of them were fancy, they serve their purpose well and function as intended.

I used this tutorial (modified a few things to what I felt created a stronger and better bind) for binding the diary:
http://www.csparks.com/Bookbinding/index.xhtml

Here's the items mentioned above:
2gv07qa.jpg

As for how they are used, once the pages are done, they first go into the piercing cradle, this allows all the holes to punched for sewing the signatures together:
28k4l5d.jpg

Next up is the sewing frame. I use binding tape on the spine for additional strength:
309hwrl.jpg

Once all the signatures are sewn together, the pasted pages are added (minus the maps) and it goes to the press where the spine is glued:
16gz9t0.jpg

After a couple of coats of glue has been applied, it is flipped around and ready to be plowed. You'll notice how wrinkled the page edges are, I found that orienting the paper grain the correct way when printing, you can get all the waves/wrinkles on one end, where they can now be removed for perfectly flat pages:
205b5ep.jpg

This is the first plow I made. It worked fine, but I was always concerned the blade would come off and slice right through my fingers, so I now use a chisel that I ground and sharpened just for this:
14mq2o9.jpg

Once plowed, perfectly flat pages remain. The only issue is you now have edges that are too clean, that is taken care of later with distressing inks:
b3q7wx.jpg

Here's where I have to skip ahead since I'm horrible at taking progress pictures (in fact all the pics above where taken over the course of several diaries).

What's missing is pictures of the diary with cover boards attached along with muslin. Also missing it the application of the leather cover.

Once the cover is on, all that's left is additional page aging, distressing the cover, and inserting all the... inserts.

So here is the final result:

Exterior front
14wel3d.jpg

Exterior top
2moa7i9.jpg

Exterior bottom
qxtaw4.jpg

Venice window and colored knight rubbing
5wftys.jpg

Fold out map
154ioau.jpg

Venice knight and lion
5vy8ok.jpg

The path of the Grail and colored Sword/Scroll
2jax0ux.jpg

X marks the spot spread
nyycjs.jpg

Colored drinking stag and ****** (with stag color impression)
2enyge9.jpg

A fountain with marble and Triangular floorplan
68g68j.jpg

Lancelot and Prestor John (covered by telegram envelope & grey letter)
dw3sbc.jpg

Large cup and Melchizadek window (covered by Camel pack)
213p0n8.jpg

It is possible and Mountain Road w/ Hitler's signature
2hnap1g.jpg

Leap from the lion's head spread
v2z2qc.jpg

Three trials spread
2hwd8g7.jpg

Also, here's something to demonstrate how accurate I've tried to make it. This often goes unnoticed, but once you see it, you'll see it every time.

From the diary wrapper, you'll notice that the Z in VENEZIA is set at a slightly different angle than the other letters.

Original:
2ezhett.png

Stamp I had made for the wrapper:
2v2fk9h.jpg

The Grail diary is one of those props that are never truly finished (in fact this one needs to be carried and read a bit for some true distressing), but I'm happy with where it is at right now. Hope you enjoy. :)

and here's some comparison shots of the latest diary I did with the orignal:
289h6ir.png

2ufwqz9.png

2na8p4i.png

2dhwoeb.png

5eid6g.png

14j7ntu.png

femagh.png

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, it has been very fun to work on and see come together.

So are all of the drawings recreated by hand too?

Yes and no. Pages such as Prestor John, Omphalos, Lancelot, etc come from Matthew's book, The Grail - Quest for the eternal. The drawings are modified a bit in that they usually have some parts removed (i.e. Prestor John image is only the center part of a larger image and they removed and moved some elements of it). As this is how the original diary pages were done, any attempt to redraw them would have resulted in a less accurate image. So I bought the book, scanned the images at the highest resolution possible, referred to pictures of the original diary and modified the drawings to match. All drawings not found in the source books (Venice knight, lion, X marks the spot, etc.) was done by Marviana Jones since he could create a more accurate drawing than I.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back