"It's Dad's Grail Diary" - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Grail Diary

Thanks guys. :D

I finally found the link to the tutorial that I based my binding process off of and added it to the first post. Lot's of pictures and easy to understand.

Unbelievably beautiful replica! The hand work really pays off. It just looks "right"

Thank you. My favorite scene with the diary is when Indy opens it in the Venice library. You have all the ragged inserts sticking out of the sides and it just looks like a well traveled journal that has been through a lot.

This morning I got some pictures of the diary, Grail, and stand that I finished for someone. This diary has a bit more aging on the pages, but the subtle aging still isn't showing up (like what happened in the pictures above). Any tips on how to better pick up the aging in pictures (I'm using a Canon Rebel EOS T3)?

2mh93df.jpg

25tw1gl.jpg

2cogdhj.jpg

ea001y.jpg

As a reminder, all buying and selling takes place in the Classifieds forums. Search the Junkyard and Project Runs forums to find what you are looking for (I believe there is a Grail Diary there now in the Junkyard). If you can't find what you are looking for, start a thread in the "Want to Buy" forum.

Last edited:
Fantastic job! I am thoroughly impressed with you building everything from the ground up. It is impressive to see you doing the book binding as well as the pages. I am working on my right now, but was happy to start with a blank diary from Indy Magnoli. Very nice work!

Fantastic job! I am thoroughly impressed with you building everything from the ground up. It is impressive to see you doing the book binding as well as the pages. I am working on my right now, but was happy to start with a blank diary from Indy Magnoli. Very nice work!

Thank you, what I enjoy most about it is learning how to do something new. Each time I learn something, the next thing to learn becomes easier, the knowledge builds upon itself.

Updated the first post with some comparison shots of the the latest diary I've been working on and the original. Performed a technique that marsattack turned me onto, using thinned oil paints on the page corners. Really think it adds to the finished look of it.

Where does one find the files to print your own grail?

I spent hours scouring the web, and the COW site doesn't have it, indianajonesprops.com is defunct, every where I've gone, I've come up with a dead end. Even torrent sites have nothing.

Last edited:
What type of paper did you use?

To answer your first question, no, the files won't be available. However, I have considered putting together a file that contains all text, page order, etc. It would be not a printable diary in any way, but it would provide folks with a way to easily understand what all should be in there. Would be offered for free, just something I thought would be helpful to those who want to create their own. I've only thought about it though and haven't started anything, so who know if or when I would have it done.

As for paper, I stay on the thin side and use 24lb. Researching how the original diaries were constructed and seeing a Hero in person, I have some theories on why this is more accurate. I know most folks use heavier paper, which is easier to age, but I prefer the results of what I'm using, even it requires a bit more work.

To answer your first question, no, the files won't be available. However, I have considered putting together a file that contains all text, page order, etc. It would be not a printable diary in any way, but it would provide folks with a way to easily understand what all should be in there. Would be offered for free, just something I thought would be helpful to those who want to create their own. I've only thought about it though and haven't started anything, so who know if or when I would have it done.

As for paper, I stay on the thin side and use 24lb. Researching how the original diaries were constructed and seeing a Hero in person, I have some theories on why this is more accurate. I know most folks use heavier paper, which is easier to age, but I prefer the results of what I'm using, even it requires a bit more work.

I think ive got an idea of all of the pages and the inserts now after a bit of research it would have just been a help to clarify. But no worries, but that list would be a help to know where the inserts go as im not quite sure about that yet :)

What would be you best tip for aging this type of paper?

I think ive got an idea of all of the pages and the inserts now after a bit of research it would have just been a help to clarify. But no worries, but that list would be a help to know where the inserts go as im not quite sure about that yet :)

What would be you best tip for aging this type of paper?

I brew strong coffee and fill a baking sheet with it. I dip each page into it, so that the entire page is saturated. Like so:

amdsx.jpg

I lay them aside and sprinkle a bit of regular coffee (that's the only thing I've found to watch out for, some coffees clump really bad and stick to the page, I'm using the absolute cheapest, from a store called Sav-A-Lot and it doesn't clump) onto the page. Dip the next page and lay it on top of the other, then sprinkle more coffee onto that page. I do this two signatures at a time, then hang them onto a rack (keeping them in order) I built out of yard stick, a 2x4, and piece of scrap MDF:

f2t4ea.jpg

After they are fully dry, I brush all the dried coffee off the pages. It creates a slightly darker stain wherever it was, but it blends into the other colors well, doesn't look like obvious fake aging. Once they are all brushed off, I fold the signature, and place them into the book press. I place a damp (just barely) paper towel after each 4 signatures. This puts just a bit of moisture into the pages and allows them to relax, so the pressure of the press makes them completely flat, no wrinkling (which I hate). I take them out after a couple of days when they are fully dry again and they're ready to bind. After binding, I put them back in the press and plow the edges. Plowing the edges creates a perfect edge, too perfect in fact. I sand the edges a bit to rough them up and use a diluted oil paint mixture to stain the edges of the book. After I've put on the cover and fly sheets, I use the same diluted oil paint on a rag and apply a bit to edges of each page, so that they pages are a bit darker at their edges. You want to go really light with the paint, using a technique similar to dry brushing, just using a rag instead of a brush.

I brew strong coffee and fill a baking sheet with it. I dip each page into it, so that the entire page is saturated. Like so:

http://i65.tinypic.com/amdsx.jpg

I lay them aside and sprinkle a bit of regular coffee (that's the only thing I've found to watch out for, some coffees clump really bad and stick to the page, I'm using the absolute cheapest, from a store called Sav-A-Lot and it doesn't clump) onto the page. Dip the next page and lay it on top of the other, then sprinkle more coffee onto that page. I do this two signatures at a time, then hang them onto a rack (keeping them in order) I built out of yard stick, a 2x4, and piece of scrap MDF:

http://i66.tinypic.com/f2t4ea.jpg

After they are fully dry, I brush all the dried coffee off the pages. It creates a slightly darker stain wherever it was, but it blends into the other colors well, doesn't look like obvious fake aging. Once they are all brushed off, I fold the signature, and place them into the book press. I place a damp (just barely) paper towel after each 4 signatures. This puts just a bit of moisture into the pages and allows them to relax, so the pressure of the press makes them completely flat, no wrinkling (which I hate). I take them out after a couple of days when they are fully dry again and they're ready to bind. After binding, I put them back in the press and plow the edges. Plowing the edges creates a perfect edge, too perfect in fact. I sand the edges a bit to rough them up and use a diluted oil paint mixture to stain the edges of the book. After I've put on the cover and fly sheets, I use the same diluted oil paint on a rag and apply a bit to edges of each page, so that they pages are a bit darker at their edges. You want to go really light with the paint, using a technique similar to dry brushing, just using a rag instead of a brush.

Wow thanks for that it's a massive help... I was thinking about just printing all of the pages but you have convinced me that it's sacrilege :) one more question though... what type of pen? I think I'm all set to start making now! Thanks.

Wow thanks for that it's a massive help... I was thinking about just printing all of the pages but you have convinced me that it's sacrilege :) one more question though... what type of pen? I think I'm all set to start making now! Thanks.

I used three different pens. The main pen that I used the most was one I ordered (tried to find where from, but it must have been after a random google search since I couldn't find it), but it has a custom ground 0.8mm cursive italic nib. For pages with heavier strokes, I used a Schaeffer calligraphy pen with a "Fine" nib. For the thin text, I used a Pilot Varsity with a "Medium" nib. I loaded all of them with black Noodler's ink.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back