Iron Man Mk 25 STRIKER helmet 3d print

Re: Iron Man Mk 25 STRIKER helmet 3d print (W.I.P)

Thanks guys. It's getting there, but still a ways to go. But everyday, I make sure to put some time in.

This looks fantastic. I would love to see any progress you have on it and if you ever mold it, I'm in. :)

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long. Haven't had too much time to work on the lid. That said, I did manage to spend a good bit of the day working on it. I'm almost done with the faceplate, and hope to get a good bit of the main worked on tomorrow. Probably only a few hours needed to finish the rear detachable piece, too.

There is still much to do, however. I'll start an interest thread for casts when I'm a good deal closer to the finish line, so to those who have already stated desire to get one, stay tuned!

Striker Helmet Progress.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic.

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long. Haven't had too much time to work on the lid. That said, I did manage to spend a good bit of the day working on it. I'm almost done with the faceplate, and hope to get a good bit of the main worked on tomorrow. Probably only a few hours needed to finish the rear detachable piece, too.

There is still much to do, however. I'll start an interest thread for casts when I'm a good deal closer to the finish line, so to those who have already stated desire to get one, stay tuned!

View attachment 343485

Sorry for the crappy pic.
Crappy pic indeed sir lol. Next time i would like to see that bucket in a vid, on a lazy susan doing the full rotation. You robbed us of that, shame on you. Awesome though...GM

Well, some unfortunate delays on this guys.

The first is completely my fault, a stupid mistake honestly. As some know, I recently moved. The house that I used to live in had a back yard that was almost always in the shade, due to the position of the house relative to the sun and the fact that there were a ton of trees back there. The new yard, however, is not very well shaded. Beyond that fact, the position of the house makes it so that the shade "travels", and one area that is completely shaded at say 10 a.m. is fully under the sun's assault by noon.

What does this have to do with anything? It is what led to the demise of the faceplate. The pretty much complete faceplate.

Sprayed the last coat of primer, ready to polish it down, and left it to dry. It was in the shade when I set it down, then my attention was called to something else. When I came back, the faceplate was roasting in the sun, the hot summer sun, and was warped beyond repair. I mean bad.

So, well, damn. Lesson, harsh lesson, learned. Printed a new faceplate the next day, glued it together, and braced it up with some wooded rods. Gotta start a part that was pretty much done all over again.

It gets better.

Once glued and braced, I set the faceplate on the main assembly. I did notice that the bottom lip was sitting much better than before along the jaw. However, I noticed the top "widow's peak" has sunk a bit. Now, the main assembly never sat in the sun. It has basically warped some on it's own. The same stuff has been a problem with my mk 5 helmet. The thinner wall models seems to eventually warp over. The thicker wall models I printed for my buddy Dirtsen don't have this issue, as the parts have no flex to them. I really don't think I will be able to properly repair it, so I will just have to reprint that as well. When I do, I'll brace that one up real good too.

Beyond bracing them, the plan is to worry about one part at a time, obviously starting with the faceplate, and get it done. The whole moving to another house put a good damper on my time, but now that that's over, I have more time and will be working as much as I can. I'll complete the faceplate, and immediately make the mold for it (after double checking all the measurements in nettfab). Then I'll reprint the main assembly, brace it up, and go to town on it.

Can you tell I'm new to this?:lol

So..........it's coming. I promise ;). Gonna be more of a wait, but in the end I've learned a great deal. As my buddy Dirtsen told me, "you're never gonna make that mistake again."

The only thing that worries me is the mistakes I am gonna make! :lol

So, stay tuned. Again. Pics of a new, unwarped, ready to mold faceplate coming soon!

Sorry to hear that. But don't let this set you back. The new helmet will be even better than the previous one. And the first helmet was AMAZING!

I am still looking forward to this and following it intently. Good luck on the rework and I'll be here to throw money at you once you get it ready for casting. :)

Can you say what settings do you use in this print? I buy MakerBot and totally newbie >w<

Can you say what settings do you use in this print? I buy MakerBot and totally newbie >w<

Well, it's difficult to answer your question. Not all of the helmet was printed on the Makerbot, I have a Lulzbot Taz as well.

Generally speaking, though, on both machine I print .2mm layer height. I avoid using support material, and position the parts so they usually don't need any.

My advice, play with it and have fun. I love mine, I know a lot of people aren't big fans of the Makerbot company, but I think it's a kick ass printer (and it's software, too).

So, this is the first weekend that I don't have to move crap from one house to another. :)

I'll be working on this new faceplate all weekend, trying to get back some momentum. Once I got something good to show, I'll show it :thumbsup

How goes it? Sorry to bug you on the progress. I can't wait to see this one done.

How goes it? Sorry to bug you on the progress. I can't wait to see this one done.

I'll be hopefully finishing up the new faceplate this weekend, ready for molding, and start making the mold for that. I've been playing around with the silicone a little bit with another build, more for practice than anything. Things went pretty well with that, and there were good lessons learned.

I'll be re printing the main assembly as well. There's enough warping on the one I have to make me want to start over with it, I want it to be perfect. I've been bracing the new parts as soon as they're glued together.

I'll make sure to post some pics this weekend of the progress. Haven't posted simply to not bore everybody repeating the build.

But I have been working on it. :) And it'll be with us soon. :thumbsup

Got a lot accomplished today :) It's nice to be moving forward, and not backwards.

New Faceplate 1.jpgNew Faceplate 2.jpg

Gotta clean the details up a bit, but I'm hoping to start polishing it down tomorrow if I get the details done. Then a clay base awaits it..........

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back