Airfix B-Wing Conversion

Archive&Future

Sr Member
(This is a commissioned piece)

Well yup I've got another model to be working on now, the 1985 Airfix B-Wing. I must say that I was expecting something absolutely awful, instead this is actually a very workable kit to anyone with moderate modelling skills. The kit was built when it arrived, in perfect condition too; thankfully it's a snap fit kit and i could pry the parts away from each other.

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o1_1280.jpg

The guns, as you'd expect, are kinda lame. I was never going to keep them anyway though

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o2_1280.jpg

The first thing I did was to cut and file away the guns on the cockpit jaw, the plastic is so soft on the kit that this was easy peasy

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o6_1280.jpg

I also scrapped the smoke tinted canopy and went for a more studio look. At least you'll can see the cockpit now

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o8_1280.jpg

I also started scratching the wing mounted guns from brass rod, heatshrink and....cotton buds

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o7_1280.jpg

I then filled the terribly misaligned cockpit seams and enhanced the angled end

tumblr_n4no1lUrw61sf4tb1o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4noeteZtL1sf4tb1o1_1280.jpg

Before I could glue the fuselage together, I had to scratch build new guns for the wing pod

tumblr_n4noeteZtL1sf4tb1o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4noeteZtL1sf4tb1o4_1280.jpg

And then a ton of clamps!

tumblr_n4noeteZtL1sf4tb1o3_1280.jpg

I've not seen many build ups of this kit, it's tiny but respectable. Comments are always appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Wing guns mounted

tumblr_n4pkmxPoZN1sf4tb1o1_250.jpg

Then an attempt to cover up those huge holes without putty. I bent these over later on

tumblr_n4pkmxPoZN1sf4tb1o3_1280.jpg

Needed a new front vent system to replace the chunky kit part

tumblr_n4pkmxPoZN1sf4tb1o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4pkmxPoZN1sf4tb1o4_1280.jpg

All assembled and ready for paint! This has been a lovely build, no hassle and very dainty

tumblr_n4pkmxPoZN1sf4tb1o5_1280.jpg

Can't wait to give this a killer paintjob hehe

I gave the whole model a coat of gloss black, which is unusual for me because I normally go for flat grey primer but in this instance I felt given the size of the model, it could do with a little extra 'pop'. I then mixed an appropriate shade of grey for the basecoat

tumblr_n4wufiRdVx1sf4tb1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n4wufiRdVx1sf4tb1o2_1280.jpg

Looks prettty cooool if I do say so myself :D
Then I gave it a thoroughly grimy wash of brown and blue

tumblr_n4wufiRdVx1sf4tb1o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4wufiRdVx1sf4tb1o4_1280.jpg

I used a hairdryer to set the wash, but I will wait until at least tomorrow before doing anything further to it

Looking great HH, the new guns & scratched vents are a definate improvement!!

I used to have this kit,...A long time ago, in a.............

J

Oh man! Now you are making me want to get my salvaged kit out and get working on it. From what I remember, most of the detail isn't too bad. There is a fantastic plastic resin kit on EBay right now, and other than it being closer to the correct scale (1/72), it is not really much of an improvement. I am definitely looking forward to seeing this one finished.
Arrin

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Looking great HH, the new guns & scratched vents are a definate improvement!!

I used to have this kit,...A long time ago, in a.............

J

Thanks J! I'd love to see what you could do with it hehe

Oh man! Now you are making me want to get my salvaged kit out and get working on it. From what I remember, most of the detail isn't too bad. There is a fantastic plastic resin kit on EBay right now, and other than it being closer to the correct scale (1/72), it is not really much of an improvement. I am definitely looking forward to seeing this one finished.
Arrin

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah to be honest this is a very nice little kit, once you've swapped out the guns and vents it's a respectable model. The panel lines are crisp and accurate to boot, it's just a shame that you can't get hold of it for less than £25, £30 or so. I was considering scratching a 1/72 B-wing, i'd not realised there was a kit floating around about

Looks really great :)
Makes me want to dig our some of my vintage kits but after finemolds I look on them in a different light, which I shouldn't.
The guns looks great, the only thing that let's it down in my eyes are the joins behind the cockpit and halfway down the fuselage, it seems a shame to leave them after all the improvements you have done.
Will follow with interest
All the best

Looks really great :)
Makes me want to dig our some of my vintage kits but after finemolds I look on them in a different light, which I shouldn't.
The guns looks great, the only thing that let's it down in my eyes are the joins behind the cockpit and halfway down the fuselage, it seems a shame to leave them after all the improvements you have done.
Will follow with interest
All the best

No I agree with you, but I couldn't manage to get the really big seams filled or flush, the fit of the kit is generally acceptable apart from those areas. In fairness I could have tried a little harder...

Still looks great mate. Don't get me wrong it wasn't anything against your skill. I will be following this and the guns are great, he joins jumped out at me a little that's all. The weathering should tone them down anyhow. Best wishes

Last edited:
I made a base from mahogany, varnished it and used polished steel rod for the support (seen alongside a gift for my design teacher!)

tumblr_n567xnKtfo1sf4tb1o1_500.jpg

Then today I added two more layers of modulation and shading over the grime wash, then masked off areas for different shades

tumblr_n567xnKtfo1sf4tb1o2_1280.jpg

I rly love masking fluid....

tumblr_n567xnKtfo1sf4tb1o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n567xnKtfo1sf4tb1o4_1280.jpg

Anyway here's where I'm at. Next stop is orange dots, details then....weathering

tumblr_n567xnKtfo1sf4tb1o5_1280.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back