ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

They are already out there a few 501st wear them

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have only seen a couple and the ones I have seen... well, the price was reflected in the final look. As I posted above, I think this design is one of the best we have ever seen for officers, but there is literally no way to do it correctly on the cheap (one could debate ANOVOS' approach all day, but that isn't what I am discussing). Anything can be done more cheaply, but I'd challenge anyone to make an accurate copy of this costume on the cheap. Between materials and the type of fitting/sewing/structuring involved, I think it would be quite difficult to replicate accurately without a considerable investment. But hey... I could be wrong and would love to see someone who has done an accurate version for cheap.

Just so there is no confusion, when I am referring to this being the best officer design ever, I am referring to it when the First Order officers are wearing it, not Finn's "I believe I can fly" winged version...

finn-looks-stupid-with-shoulder-pads.png

Ok there is that I guess, I myself am having the Hask version from Battlefront 2 made and it won't be cheap but That's mainly as I'm having a TV/Movie production company make it

For what it's worth, most people I see making Imperial/First Order uniforms do not use remotely heavy enough fabric. The OT uniforms have been my main focus over the years, and the main Imperial Starfleet uniforms were made from leftover fabric when the East German military upgraded army and navy in the '60s to a different shade of gray-green (their Air Force kept the existing color, so if you get an East German Air Force uniform jacket, you're getting the same fabric in the same color -- it's a nice reference point). It's a ~23-ounce wool blend cavalry twill. Most readily available wool twills are for things like suit jackets and tend to top out at around 8-10 ounces. I get my wool twill in the proper weight from International Silks & Woolens in L.A. For 60" wide fabric, it's $70 a yard. With a bit of practice, an Imperial jacket, breeches, and cap can be fit into about four yards. So that's $300 just for the outer fabric. Throw in another hundred for interfacing, lining, thread, and hardware (the required stuff like snaps and neck hooks, velcro, etc., depending on version).

Add in distributed R&D costs (that is, put a dollar amount on time and materials to get the finished design, and split that among the initial batch to recoup), similarly distributed licensing fees (for official vendors like this), time and materials for patterning, cutting, and assembling, and yes you end up over a grand, easy, before accessories. And that's just for off-the-rack sizing. The Imperial or First Order Men's Wearhouse. Custom-tailoring is a whole 'nother layer of cost on top of that. Plus I figure about another $300-$600 or more for accessories (again, depending on version and which blaster, if any)*.

[*For my ANH Stormtrooper Officer uniform, that's two vintage dosimeters I got for $20 each, two of Ken's Michell pulleys for $10 each, a little-too-small belt buckle blank from Tandy for a few bucks as well as some scrap stainless steel -- curved to shape -- I got from a local fabricator for snack-jar contribution, stainless steel strip the right dimensions for the rank bar and switch covers all for under ten bucks, black belt blank and hardware for about $5 a pair of Damascus gauntlet gloves for $70, custom made English riding boots for $300, a Merr-Sonn blaster holster for $60, accurate metal belt boxes for $30... and I think I'm a couple hundred into all the bits going into my Merr-Sonn Model 44/Power 5 blaster. Not counting tools and glues and miscellaneous hardware I already had on hand. As one example.]

The further into the OT, and into the PT one gets, the more esoteric the costuming materials. Limited-availability boots from Prada or Kenneth Cole for the AOTC bounty hunters, for instance, that were rare as the Venus de Milo's arms only a couple years after the movie's release, versus chelsea boots that were used for the original Stormtroopers that are still a regular-stock item from the original manufacturer. More and more it started to feel like an almost-deliberate "try and pull this on off cosplayers" on Lucasfilm's part. That seems to have continued perfectly well into the new films, with First Order Stormtrooper armor made with materials and techniques that are outside the range of most fan fabricators (and, really, ANOVOS, too). I haven't researched the minutiæ of the First Order soft uniforms, but it would not shock me to find that the accurate fabric is close to a hundred dollars a yard or more. Were I interested in doing one of those costumes, yeah I'd spring for that. Especially as they are purchasable through their payment-plan system -- same way I recommend buying just about anything from them that isn't "in stock". So my takeaway is not fussed at all. I've got my payment plan going on the Flametrooper (and nearly finished on the Tank Driver helmet and FOTK kit-plus-helmet). The Luke Bespin ensemble and Rebel pilot Hoth coat are the only soft-goods offerings I'm even vaguely interested in from them right now, though, and those not very.

Now, if they would do accurately-researched, faithfully re-engineered, custom-whatevered 1) jumpsuits (orange Rebel pilots, black Imperial, light gray, etc., as well as ROTJ Scout Trooper), 2) Imperial Senate Guard garrison uniforms (aka the long-misnamed "Rebel Fleet Trooper"), and a nice assortment of Hoth Rebel gear (the pants and jackets and different colored vests and hats and Leia's jumpsuit and jacket...), well I'd be all over that. :)

--Jonah

What do you mean it got cancelled? Just checking - I THINK when they label something as "not available" it means they are not taking any more orders and are catching up. They have cancelled stuff in the past but they actually said it, no? And believe me, I think their situation is a mess for sure. Just checking.

The price is irrelevant if they can't deliver the product in a reasonable amount of time......or at all. I hate saying this but my confidence in Anovos has been shaken after hearing that the Kylo Ren premier line ensemble got cancelled. Then I saw the prototype photos of the new Kylo tunic and I wasn't impressed with the accuracy. This has all left me hesitant to order from them. I'd need some reassurances going forward.

Considering I ordered the entire Krennic outfit (tunic, cape, pants, belt, hat, and rank badge) during one of their sales for around $700 total, these First Order pants and jacket at $1,800 together make no sense. And I'd argue the Krennic outfit is far more complex. There's got to be some odd, strategic reason for this.

IF they are using the proper materials (like the real stuff in some cases), this price fits. Some wools and silks, etc. are several hundred dollars a yard. The material for the Phantom tail coat in the musical is $600.00/ yard. BUT - that is only if they are using something really snazzy. Me, I am NOT saying that the asking price for this costume isn't a little nuts but the cloth, plus U.S. labor, plus license can ramp it up pretty quick. Just my 2 cents.

What do you mean it got cancelled? Just checking - I THINK when they label something as "not available" it means they are not taking any more orders and are catching up. They have cancelled stuff in the past but they actually said it, no? And believe me, I think their situation is a mess for sure. Just checking.

Perhaps I'm misinformed. I could have sworn that not too long ago I read on one of the boards or maybe on a Facebook group that some people's Kylo premier line costume orders had been cancelled and refunded by Anovos. If I am mistaken then I hope someone will jump in and set the record straight.

In any case it's been like 2 years which is like, dude. (for lack of a better word)

IF they are using the proper materials (like the real stuff in some cases), this price fits. Some wools and silks, etc. are several hundred dollars a yard. The material for the Phantom tail coat in the musical is $600.00/ yard. BUT - that is only if they are using something really snazzy. Me, I am NOT saying that the asking price for this costume isn't a little nuts but the cloth, plus U.S. labor, plus license can ramp it up pretty quick. Just my 2 cents.

True. In fact, looking at the details, the First Order officer is made from wool, whereas the Krennic is some type of polyester.

It's a great looking uniform... and accurate AFAIK. But out of my price range. I can have one hand made to my measurements by a tailor for half that.... and I will. Fortunately, this uniform isn't impossible to get a good color match like the Imperial uniforms.

I don't think we have one single male Hux in the legion, or have seen any that wasn't a girl who was able to produce a reasonably nice, accurate uniform on their own time. I know my girlfriend is meeting with a local seamstress this weekend to look into making a teal FO officer for her (to be Rose).

I've seen a lot of great replicas and some really bad ones. Some of the great ones weren't always the most expensive either. I've been in this hobby long enough to know that if someone wants to make something like this at a lower price point than, well, what Anovos is asking here, it can be done. Perhaps they're using the same fabrics as the real ones? I don't know, but costumes at the end of the day just need to look like it, not have to actually BE it.

I've been in this hobby long enough to know that if someone wants to make something like this at a lower price point than, well, what Anovos is asking here, it can be done.

Of course they can. They dont have licensing fees or any of the other overhead that Anovos does.

Of course they can. They dont have licensing fees or any of the other overhead that Anovos does.
Maybe not be with said licence Anovos should have access to the real thing and come up with something better than they have

Maybe not be with said licence Anovos should have access to the real thing and come up with something better than they have

What is wrong with the Anovos FO Officer?

At times they do make surprising mistakes like using an inaccurate color on the Shoretrooper helmets.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I don't know, but costumes at the end of the day just need to look like it, not have to actually BE it.

That one thing I would dissagree with.. for example....there are hundreds and hundreds of Legion members who dress as Vader. They look like Vader but you and me both know a lot of them are no where near the higher standards. I would rather BE the character then look like them. In my opinion we grow up and watch what they gave us on screen, why would someone want to look like a retarded version of that? Thats just the way I feel about it.

Im sure Anovos tried to get as close as possible with the material and pattern. Plus they have the license and want to actually make profit off of us to grow the business. Remember that Anovos is not a one single fan made person. We as fans dont set out to grow and empire and make lots of money. Anovos Does, they are a registered and trademarked business they have to make money to pay employees, monthly costs to run factories, compensate for the license and then make profit. That is why Fan made items will tend to be better at a lower price.

If Anovos were to produce lets say my level quality of a Vader costume I would imagine the price would be $8,000 or more in my opinion.

That is why Fan made items will tend to be better at a lower price.

Some fan made items may be better than Anovos, but many are not. Especially for the items from the newer movies. It is difficult to be accurate when fans do mot have access to measure the actual props.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Some fan made items may be better than Anovos, but many are not. Especially for the items from the newer movies. It is difficult to be accurate when fans do mot have access to measure the actual props.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
While this very well is true for a lot of the hard parts, I find a lot of the soft parts of Anovos lacking, even prototypes. Fans spend a lot of time making sure things are spot on. The difference is, Anovos doesn't have to take as long because they have the reference at their disposal. Fans have to find the reference, compare it, etc to be able to get it accurate, and they do. I've seen multiple fan costumes that, in my opinion look better than the Anovos. Vader and Kylo are simply two examples.

Anovos should stick to what they're good at, which is helmets and armor. I have yet to be dissapointed in an Anovos helmet that I've personally received, but I also do my research. I would never buy the Anovos Vader helmet as it absolutely is not accurate. But the Kylo is spot on, other than paint which definitely looks like it came from a "factory". i was pleased with everything on the TFA stormtrooper helmet, and the DT as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back