ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

I'm not going to post the entirety of the mailed update, but the bullet points are:

- New steel bucks are done and approved. First test-pulls... well... pulled. A couple last-minute tweaks underway. [From additional tidbits not in the update, those tweaks are aiming at correcting the couple issues that popped up int he test pulls -- amount of heat, the manner in which the sheets are removed from the bucks, etc. -- I.P.]

- Because of their own self-acknowledged hesitations, shipping is getting bumped back a quarter, but all pre-orders will be shipped before Celebration in April. [One of the things I know they were trying to do -- and ultimately failed at -- was seeing if they could get the whole shoulder yoke as a single piece, as with the movie costumes. But without that material in negative moulds, it just wasn't working with vac-forming dies and thermoform plastics. So they ended up going with the two-piece version. I just wish they'd admitted defeat on that sooner. -- I.P.]

- As a partial apology for the additional delay after they'd been sure they'd make their last shipping projection, all pre-order kits will be sent out already trimmed with the same five-axis laser cutter they're using to cut the parts for those who ordered the completed armor. [If you're a particular big/tall person who ordered the kit, drop them an e-mail now if you want them to not trim your armor. I don't know if they'd be able to accommodate, as packing in boxes will be optimized for already-trimmed pieces... Besides, the cut lines are nice and clear, and you'd have to fill them if you needed to keep material past them. -- I.P.]

- Armor can be finished to either TFA or TLJ spec. Just looking at the pics, it seems a bit more TLJ as it comes. Granted, 99,9% of the populace wouldn't be able to spot the differences, but still.

New chest:
44761012372_eaa05e269a_z.jpg

Is this the new underchest?
44810544921_3a0b27be18_z.jpg

New back:
44761014002_31f70d4325_z.jpg

44810540971_209425cfbf_z.jpg

New forearm and forearm box:
44810540611_8c0949decb_z.jpg

44810544351_4fb21db8f3_z.jpg

44810539861_7cd77cc968_z.jpg

Part of the new bicep -- looks like they got the "steps" much better:
44761011432_71c937a74d_z.jpg

New spat? Pulled as one piece?
44761017902_5a44690b70_z.jpg

New groin:
44761015542_15c2eb7bcd_z.jpg

New butt:
44761016832_219b8937be_z.jpg

New kidney:
44810542581_fbd44e8e00_z.jpg

New knee:
44810539001_4ed29d4344_z.jpg

Pretty sure this is a thigh:
44810543411_8898b2c25d_z.jpg

And I feel like this is the inside piece for the bicep:
44810542171_febbefbf85_z.jpg

If I had ordered these items, these pictures would just make me more upset that I'd have to wait an eternity to actually get the product. This company has become the Dictionary example illustration of poor Customer Service. Along with most boutique makers, I might add ...

If I had ordered these items, these pictures would just make me more upset that I'd have to wait an eternity to actually get the product.

Why is that? Having been a buyer of garage created models and props for many years, I guess I'm just used to a wait. Every time I start to get a little antsy about things, Anovos sends out an update. Is it frustrating? Absolutely! In this case though, it seems as though they are trying to make up for the delays.

I'm not going to post the entirety of the mailed update, but the bullet points are:

- New steel bucks are done and approved. First test-pulls... well... pulled. A couple last-minute tweaks underway. [From additional tidbits not in the update, those tweaks are aiming at correcting the couple issues that popped up int he test pulls -- amount of heat, the manner in which the sheets are removed from the bucks, etc. -- I.P.]

- Because of their own self-acknowledged hesitations, shipping is getting bumped back a quarter, but all pre-orders will be shipped before Celebration in April. [One of the things I know they were trying to do -- and ultimately failed at -- was seeing if they could get the whole shoulder yoke as a single piece, as with the movie costumes. But without that material in negative moulds, it just wasn't working with vac-forming dies and thermoform plastics. So they ended up going with the two-piece version. I just wish they'd admitted defeat on that sooner. -- I.P.]
Do you think there's any chance of someone, anyone doing a run of film accurate chest/yokes in the correct flex urethane? Or would that be waaay to expensive for the average prop collector/cosplayer/etc?

- Armor can be finished to either TFA or TLJ spec. Just looking at the pics, it seems a bit more TLJ as it comes. Granted, 99,9% of the populace wouldn't be able to spot the differences, but still.

Definitely looks like a TLJ groin. I wonder if this means they'll ship a TLJ helmet then? If not going to be a weird mishmash of films, which would drive me bonkers.

My (bad) Experience with ANOVOS. Perhaps a friendly warning to you..

Hi guys,

My name is Louis and I am from Montreal, Canada. I have been a collector of many movie props for years, just for fun. I have bought many things over the past from guys on Ebay and companys like EFX, etc..

I just want to share my bad experience with ANOVOS so perhaps it will serve as a warning if you intend to buy from them.

My story starts way back in April when I placed a "reservation" or pre order for a Premium Kylo Ren helmet replica. The item was supposed to be shipped by june 20. On June 18th we received an notification that the shipping date would be changed to the end of summer (september 20).

In August, the changed (again) the shipping date for winter (which for them, goes to march 2019).

After seeing again these delay, I asked a refund like their Terms and Conditions allow.

I recevied a quick answer from a CS rep named Ryan. He was polite and told me my request was transfered to their "financial team". That was on sept. 16, 2018

1 week later, I contacted them again to have an ETA on the refund. I was told, again by Ryan, that the delay might be 4 to 5 weeks because they are a "small team".

I told them that these kind of delay are not something acceptable considering all these previous delay. But what can I do but wait for my money ?

1 week later, I asked for another update, with no other asnwer beside the fact that another ticked was made to the financial team to try to "speed up" the process and that it was also transfered to Charlie, a supervisor.

This bring us to this week, in the "5th" week since my request for a refund and with no answer from the supervisor, and no money yet.

I deceided to now start a charge back process with MasterCard directly..

So my warning to you is if you plan on buying a pre order from ANOVOS, beware that not only the shipping date can change drasticly, but if you ever want a refund you will have all the trouble in the world getting it sadly.

Sorry if my english is not perfect :)

Louis

FWIW - I was finally told to return my Han Solo gun belt as they had the small size I was looking for in stock now and could ship it to me once my return was received and I paid the shipping for the replacement. I packed the return up and sent it in - they received it a couple days later. In between that time they invoiced me for the shipping which I paid IMMEDIATELY. It is now 4 weeks later and still no shipping information on the replacement. I have been told that my support rep "checks daily to see if it has shipped." He's not sure what the issue is... He originally quoted me their stated policy that in-stock orders ship in 10-14 days. They are clearly now in violation of that so he can't even use that as an excuse anymore. I'm trying to figure out my next step. How can I escalate this to someone who can actually get something to happen?

Cheers
Steve

FWIW - I was finally told to return my Han Solo gun belt as they had the small size I was looking for in stock now and could ship it to me once my return was received and I paid the shipping for the replacement. I packed the return up and sent it in - they received it a couple days later. In between that time they invoiced me for the shipping which I paid IMMEDIATELY. It is now 4 weeks later and still no shipping information on the replacement. I have been told that my support rep "checks daily to see if it has shipped." He's not sure what the issue is... He originally quoted me their stated policy that in-stock orders ship in 10-14 days. They are clearly now in violation of that so he can't even use that as an excuse anymore. I'm trying to figure out my next step. How can I escalate this to someone who can actually get something to happen?

Cheers
Steve
Paid by PayPal --> file a complaint right away
Paid by Credit Card --> file a complaint right away

I understand that items going through first productions are going to have delays with vendors, and even licensing approvals. BNUt here's how that is rectified... Make your prototype, get a production prototype made by the vendors, get licensing approval... Then, AND ONLY THEN, put it up on the site for pre-order. That way all you have left to do is collect the money and make the products and ship them out.

Now here's another thing... What about the delayed shipping of "In-Stock" items? What's the excuse there. If it's in-stock a customer order creates a pick ticket, some one pulls it off a shelf in the warehouse, sticks it in a box with a shipping label and sends it out. Where's the disconnect.

Here's something telling - I was waiting for my replacement Han Gun Belt to come back in stock in a size small I had placed a "notify me" via the website so I'd make sure I could pester the customer service rep when it became available. Guess what - I got an e-mail notice off that website action telling me they were back in-stock and I could place an order on the website. Whooo-Hooo! I immediately e-mailed my customer service rep who informed me they were, in fact, NOT back in stock. But, that they were available for pre-order again.

Needless to say I waited a few more months. Recently I was told they finally have a size small to send me. I packed up my return, sent it in, and paid their invoice for shipping the replacement. Unlike the people at Anovos, this is not what I do for a living and amazingly I was able to do all of this all within a day of being notified while still working my normal work day. It has now been 4 weeks since then and the belt has still not shipped. I'm told by my rep that he has no idea why it isn't shipping and he checks daily.

So... there's that,

What really p***** me off is the fact they sent emails out saying ‘look here, 20% off Imperial gear, blah, blah, blah...in stock and shipping’.

Now I was actually caught by the email and reeled in- it was actually an impulse buy, had done some overtime and thought it would look great on a mannequin, so I thought what the hell!

So well done to the Anovos marketing team, really earning their money, but don’t believe the crap in the emails they churn out!

@Nocternus, that's because for a decade (since before they got the Star Wars license) I've had good dealings with ANOVS and continue to do so, despite having to wait for some items. I know a lot of the people there. I know they love these properties, are fans, love costuming and research and all of that. I know they are having more issues now than before between more-demanding/micromanaging licensors and a lot more back-and-forth to foreign manufacturing than previously with their Star Trek and BSG stuff. I know they hate missing their projections at least as much as us, and that they're not doing it on purpose and those projections are set based on where they are with stuff before factors they can't control interfere.

As impatient as I am, I know I will get the stuff I ordered eventually, and as soon as they can manage. I don't have a single costume I've hung all my happiness on, or even a single intellectual property. And over the years I've had to learn to work on what I can control, and be patient for what I can't. In the eternal equation of time/cost/quality, remembering you can only ever have any two... I want quality and ANOVOS ticks that box much more than they miss. Their costs are reasonable for the product, helped by their payment plan setup. So I accumulate paints and adhesives and accessories and accurizing elements, work on the things that I'm patterning and sewing, various Black Series items, eBay purchases, scratch-built items, and so on and so on.

I've had good dealings and delays with pretty much every vendor I've bought from over the years -- the delays always because Stuff Happened™. Patience is key. I've always waited and they've always come through. So that's my advice for anyone who buys from anyone. Expect to wait, regardless of what they say, have stuff to work on/distract yourself with in the meantime, and be pleasantly surprised if whatever it is shows up sooner than you expected. I've never had to put it to the test beyond two years. I look at eFX's Scout helmets, which I passed on for several reasons, and wonder if I'd still be hanging in. Tough to answer, because they failed to engage me enough to take the plunge in the first place.

I have seen some folks on here get out of the hobby after years in it for one reason or another. I imagine some concern among people having to wait for product is the fear they won't care any more by the time they get it. Frankly, I can't wrap my head around that. I'm in my 40s now (how that happened, I have no idea). I have loved Star Wars since conscious memory. I have loved Transformers since I was 9. I have loved Star Trek since I was 11 (I didn't dislike it before, but it hadn't "clicked" yet). I have loved Warhammer 40K since I was 16. Comics and anime and video games and such... *shrug* So much of my self-identity is interwoven with all of that, I can't conceive of ever not wanting to be doing this. Part of why I accept waiting is because I plan to do this for the rest of my life.

Oooff... sorry to hear about your Han belt troubles. I am in a similar issue with the Luke ESB belt. Besides needing a bigger size, the strap didn't cover the blaster. Sent it back when they had new Wave 1 stock in coming, found out after a month they ran out and my hold was missed. Now in Anovos' defense I thought this was a long shot, it was a 50 belt run that sold fast but they said they could do this... but no. Now it's up to wave 2 coming in the fall. If I don't get one of these I'll be very disappointed. So I still have a shot as wave 2 was an open run.. so I'll be optimistic.

Sorry to hear you're having issues... especially this time of year.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back