ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Well you may have had no problems and good for you, maybe knowing them as you said helped but most of the rest of us have, it took them 2 years to deliver the Imperial officer when they claimed at first 6 months and others had much longer wait times and as you can see from the last few pages even items shown as in stock are not being shipped, but if their business practices are ok with you then carry on, I will never give them money again.

I was told that I would miss one Halloween. Now I am going to miss three without this product. When they posted "Delivery in Spring" it turned out to mean nothing. But I guess my real question is this: Are the unforeseen difficulties you refer to enough to account for THREE HALLOWEENS? There was a very interesting post here earlier today that was deleted. I will not repeat it but a second question if you know people there: Are we in danger of losing our money?

@Nocternus, that's because for a decade (since before they got the Star Wars license) I've had good dealings with ANOVS and continue to do so, despite having to wait for some items. I know a lot of the people there. I know they love these properties, are fans, love costuming and research and all of that. I know they are having more issues now than before between more-demanding/micromanaging licensors and a lot more back-and-forth to foreign manufacturing than previously with their Star Trek and BSG stuff. I know they hate missing their projections at least as much as us, and that they're not doing it on purpose and those projections are set based on where they are with stuff before factors they can't control interfere.

As impatient as I am, I know I will get the stuff I ordered eventually, and as soon as they can manage. I don't have a single costume I've hung all my happiness on, or even a single intellectual property. And over the years I've had to learn to work on what I can control, and be patient for what I can't. In the eternal equation of time/cost/quality, remembering you can only ever have any two... I want quality and ANOVOS ticks that box much more than they miss. Their costs are reasonable for the product, helped by their payment plan setup. So I accumulate paints and adhesives and accessories and accurizing elements, work on the things that I'm patterning and sewing, various Black Series items, eBay purchases, scratch-built items, and so on and so on.

I've had good dealings and delays with pretty much every vendor I've bought from over the years -- the delays always because Stuff Happened™. Patience is key. I've always waited and they've always come through. So that's my advice for anyone who buys from anyone. Expect to wait, regardless of what they say, have stuff to work on/distract yourself with in the meantime, and be pleasantly surprised if whatever it is shows up sooner than you expected. I've never had to put it to the test beyond two years. I look at eFX's Scout helmets, which I passed on for several reasons, and wonder if I'd still be hanging in. Tough to answer, because they failed to engage me enough to take the plunge in the first place.

I have seen some folks on here get out of the hobby after years in it for one reason or another. I imagine some concern among people having to wait for product is the fear they won't care any more by the time they get it. Frankly, I can't wrap my head around that. I'm in my 40s now (how that happened, I have no idea). I have loved Star Wars since conscious memory. I have loved Transformers since I was 9. I have loved Star Trek since I was 11 (I didn't dislike it before, but it hadn't "clicked" yet). I have loved Warhammer 40K since I was 16. Comics and anime and video games and such... *shrug* So much of my self-identity is interwoven with all of that, I can't conceive of ever not wanting to be doing this. Part of why I accept waiting is because I plan to do this for the rest of my life.

I was told that I would miss one Halloween. Now I am going to miss three without this product. When they posted "Delivery in Spring" it turned out to mean nothing. But I guess my real question is this: Are the unforeseen difficulties you refer to enough to account for THREE HALLOWEENS? There was a very interesting post here earlier today that was deleted. I will not repeat it but a second question if you know people there: Are we in danger of losing our money?
I’ve seen you post this a lot, why not just get your refund and buy a Kylo ren elsewhere. 3 years later and nothing; chances are you’re never going to get it at this point.

I hear ya - three reasons I guess. One, I'll admit, is admitting defeat.

Two is that I have not found a Kylo that is duplicate of film - pleats that are uneven down the arm, not even/ same materials/ same pleat work and weight in the drapery/ same sheen. I've seen the original too and everyone else uses too little material for those patterns.

And three is that RIGHT around the moment I was considering a refund, Anovos spoke up and literally said, "Completed!! Delivery in Spring!" Flat out.

And now that I fell for it there is no time for me to come up with something else.

I don't mean to be harassing all of you who read this but you just helped me walk through my mindset.

I’ve seen you post this a lot, why not just get your refund and buy a Kylo ren elsewhere. 3 years later and nothing; chances are you’re never going to get it at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inquisitor Peregrinus, your patience is admirable.
I don't entirely agree with your point of view, mainly because, for me, there's an important distinction between passion and a business transaction.
My passion for SW doesn't suppress the fact that I'm left with fully paid but unfulfilled transactions. It's a business bottom line that makes me a little nervous - for obvious reasons. Although I have no doubt that a lot of people at Anovos understand, that doesn't change the bottom line.

Regardless, I do appreciate you taking the time to express your point of view. It's helpful.

Last edited:

Two is that I have not found a Kylo that is duplicate of film - pleats that are uneven down the arm, not even/ same materials/ same pleat work and weight in the drapery/ same sheen. I've seen the original too and everyone else uses too little material for those patterns.

And three is that RIGHT around the moment I was considering a refund, Anovos spoke up and literally said, "Completed!! Delivery in Spring!" Flat out.

And now that I fell for it there is no time for me to come up with something else.

I don't mean to be harassing all of you who read this but you just helped me walk through my mindset.

It always works like that, the second you cancel your order. The second orders will start to ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is there anyone out there who has actually received a First Order Stormtrooper kit? I pre-ordered one 23 years ago and after the 2+ year wait decided to cancel it and get the FO Tie helmet instead, which arrived with 2 large cracks in the gel coat, no less.

You ordered one 23 years ago? :lol

So is there anyone out there who has actually received a First Order Stormtrooper kit? I pre-ordered one 23 years ago and after the 2+ year wait decided to cancel it and get the FO Tie helmet instead, which arrived with 2 large cracks in the gel coat, no less.

Just had a little look round the Star Wars section of the Anovos site, and I’m surprised at the amount of products that are ‘not available’.

With such a limited number of items on offer, does this mean they are throwing in the towel and just concentrating on the bare minimum of products?

Well you may have had no problems and good for you, maybe knowing them as you said helped but most of the rest of us have, it took them 2 years to deliver the Imperial officer when they claimed at first 6 months and others had much longer wait times and as you can see from the last few pages even items shown as in stock are not being shipped, but if their business practices are ok with you then carry on, I will never give them money again.

I haven't not had problems. Just that I haven't had only problems. Same with every other vendor I've worked with, except the O.S.C.S., and that because I've only ordered a couple things from Kev, several years apart.

As for the rest, the one thing I keep poking them on is to not underestimate the feet-dragging nit-pickiness of Disney approvals. ANOVOS legendarily had the Solo holster rig in their warehouse for, what, a year? ...before Disney was satisfied all their qualifiers had been met. Even though Disney now has them gagged on their internal business matters, I'll wager heavily all the in-stock stuff is in their warehouse, only waiting on Disney to be satisfied on this or that peripheral matter before they give the go-ahead... And ANOVOS keeps thinking they've got everything handled, only to run into that. I've suggested to them that they just leave it at "shipping TBD -- stand by" until Disney actually signs off.

First answer, probably. I mean, the Beta FOTK was sent out in limited numbers to folks in the 501st with just barely enough time to get 'em done in time for the premier of TFA. I know that even at that time they had become aware of inaccuracies, and included upgrade parts with the kits sent out. Most notably, the buyers had to cut out the central chest vent, glue in the more-accurate version, and get it blended in. I also know that when they got the first batch of formed sheets from China of the revised version, they were seriously disappointed with how they looked. I honestly haven't followed stuff with the Kylo, so I have no idea what they've been dealing with there, but I know there's precedent.

As to the second, I'm not worried. I've been getting to know several of the newer hires, I know some of the folks getting Trek stuff, like me. I admit I haven't paid much attention to the BSG stuff beyond lusting after the classic Colonial Warrior ensemble, so I have no idea what the word is there. But the gist I get from talking to the people I know there is they're working hard on what they've got, they pass stuff along to the licensors, they keep trying to anticipate and clear approvals, they float new products to gauge interest, they are sad when they have to cancel something for lack of interest (I'm looking at you, Shoretrooper ensemble). I exepct them to be around for a bit.

I'll see what I can find out for you, not that they can tell me much more than the general announcements.

Inquisitor Peregrinus, your patience is admirable.
I don't entirely agree with your point of view, mainly because, for me, there's an important distinction between passion and a business transaction.
My passion for SW doesn't suppress the fact that I'm left with fully paid but unfulfilled transactions. It's a business bottom line that makes me a little nervous - for obvious reasons. Although I have no doubt that a lot of people at Anovos understand, that doesn't change the bottom line.

Regardless, I do appreciate you taking the time to express your point of view. It's helpful.

It's a matter of scale, for me. They're still a small-ish operation, despite having a couple dozen regular employees, and a number of subcontractors that varies. They're closer to the fan-makers/vendors we know well on here and elsewhere in the hobby than, say, Hasbro. And, ironically, even though they're bigger than the one or two guys working with a vac-former in their shop, they have less control over the process because they have small orders at Chinese volume factories. I'm not privy to the details of their shift States-side, so I don't know how much of that process might be brought onshore -- but gods I hope it's the case, as that'd shorten timelines considerably.

Not since the Beta run in '15. Some have gotten the subsequent helmet run, but that's it so far. Ask folks around here how loquacious I can be -- you can be sure the instant I get a shipping notification and/or BBB on my doorstep, y'all will be among the first to hear it -- if others don't get theirs first. I haven't done unboxing vids before, but I probably will for this.

As for the gel coat issue, I know that's one of the reasons they're trying to move more domestic. Most of the second batch of Phasma helmets had their chrome finish separate from sitting in a shipping container in port for too long. I imagine cracks like you and others have had to deal with are from similar circumstances -- drastic repeated temperature fluctuation in transit.

Just had a little look round the Star Wars section of the Anovos site, and I’m surprised at the amount of products that are ‘not available’.

With such a limited number of items on offer, does this mean they are throwing in the towel and just concentrating on the bare minimum of products?

Nope. It's semi-cyclical. Items that were open for pre-order switch to "unavailable" once the pre-order window closes. Items that have been released previously, but are out of stock until another run is in, are also listed as such. Only the stuff that is actually on-site is listed as "in-stock" -- and, of that, I'd only rely on the stuff that's had prior runs to ship promptly, as physical presence is no guarantee if packaging and such for new items still has to grind its way through Disney, commented on above.

Last edited:
Inquisitor - THANK YOU for taking the time. I very much want to believe that Disney is the problem here and that Anovos is otherwise healthy but I go back and forth with that of course.

And good point regarding TBD shipping - a lot of new customers will not like that but when Anovos, the company, specifically tries to get customers excited about finally receiving their product and time and time again gutting that excitement, they are shooting themselves in the foot. They need, yes, to basically shut up until they have something in had to deliver. Dry progress reports are what they should be issuing because the silence is overwhelmingly disrespectful to their customers.

But bottom line, thank you for addressing our points individually. If Anovos survives any of this, they owe you.

Nope. It's semi-cyclical. Items that were open for pre-order switch to "unavailable" once the pre-order window closes. Items that have been released previously, but are out of stock until another run is in, are also listed as such. Only the stuff that is actually on-site is listed as "in-stock" -- and, of that, I'd only rely on the stuff that's had prior runs to ship promptly, as physical presence is no guarantee if packaging and such for new items still has to grind its way through Disney, commented on above.

So we still may see the AT-AT driver helmet again in the future? Missed it last time.

As far as ‘in stock’, don’t believe it (refer to my previous posts- I won’t bore people by repeating it again!).

It’s now 8 weeks since I paid for my ‘in stock’ Officer tunic and pants, and according to the tracking I was given, it hasn’t moved from the ‘shipping partner facility’ since September 1st!

Inquisitor - THANK YOU for taking the time. I very much want to believe that Disney is the problem here and that Anovos is otherwise healthy but I go back and forth with that of course.

Oh, they've had delays before, but those were fulfillment when they underestimated demand issues, and only involving domestic production -- nowhere near the level of what we've seen with the Star Wars stuff, for all of those reasons.

And good point regarding TBD shipping - a lot of new customers will not like that but when Anovos, the company, specifically tries to get customers excited about finally receiving their product and time and time again gutting that excitement, they are shooting themselves in the foot. They need, yes, to basically shut up until they have something in had to deliver. Dry progress reports are what they should be issuing because the silence is overwhelmingly disrespectful to their customers.

Pretty much. That's the one thing I've directly chastised them on -- they've had plenty of time to have learned about the impact of 1) factory issues in China, 2) unanticipated QC matters, 3) Disney and LFL dinging something they thought was ready, and 4) Disney's gag instructions all but eliminating their prior, if not transparency, at least translucence. *heh* They can't treat their Star Wars (and probably Marvel, as well -- I haven't looked at that stuff) items like their other licensed stuff. The process is much less under their control, and as much as they might expect certain shipping dates, the truth is, they're at the mercy of factors outside of their company where that's concerned, and they need to act accordingly. At least, until they have more control in that department.

But bottom line, thank you for addressing our points individually. If Anovos survives any of this, they owe you.

They can repay me by making items otherwise unlikely to see the light of day, such as an accurate Wrath of Khan Kirk vest or the Range Trooper mag-boots. :)

So we still may see the AT-AT driver helmet again in the future? Missed it last time.

As far as ‘in stock’, don’t believe it (refer to my previous posts- I won’t bore people by repeating it again!).

It’s now 8 weeks since I paid for my ‘in stock’ Officer tunic and pants, and according to the tracking I was given, it hasn’t moved from the ‘shipping partner facility’ since September 1st!

I'll ask about the AT-AT helmet, rather than speculate. As far as "in stock", I concur. I make my own Imperial uniforms, so I haven't paid as much attention to theirs as I might have. I can see if I can find out what the deal is there, too...

Thanks god I have my Kylo Ren and TFA Stormy helmet from them.First I bought at a local dealer here in germany and the second one from a member here.
I would never order something direct from one of these companys(EFX and Anovos).The stress is not worth the few $ cheaper price.
I buy only when the stuff is in stock here in germany...so I also can easy send it back when I have any flaws like cracks or something.
The quality of collectibles is so patchy today..you must be very carful whereto you send your money.Its a shame.

Last edited:
TLJ helmet has been delayed to Winter 2018. Surprised there hasn't been an email regarding the TFA kit as it has three days to start shipping.

Yes, this is frustrating, they just recently delayed the TLJ helmet and now again. Well that was the last straw and no more preorders, now considering a refund. Highly doubt the TFA kit gets out as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back