ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Hi guys. Wanted to share what I discovered happened to my Phasma helmet. Cracks appeared all over the chrome. It’s definitely a problem with the curing of the chrome paint. I received this early this year, and it was fine. I just discovered it when I had a closer look recently. Have sent an email to Anovos, waiting for their reply.

Anyone else have this problem?

And no, it’s not displayed in any damp or direct sunlight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171113/7d5fcc99cfb2035cfc6f4e89c61b429b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171113/65160b2f0be60057ae1239523ec0ec7a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171113/ae18598e74ac9e561fc474d29390095e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I returned mine to one vendor who didn't have a replacement. I got a full refund and then bought from another vendor. I asked them to inspect for the defect before they shipped. They said they would and that they had sold half a dozen and none were returned. I just received the new one today and no cracks. Yay! Glad I returned it. Phasma is a cool helmet but it's way better without the cracks.

It's weird that this is the only type of retail business that I am aware of where delays aren't just expected and accepted, they seem more likely than not to occur.

It's only semi a retail business. There are very few outlets for their products, and the majority of sales go through their own web site. Quite unlike the major licensor, Hasbro, who have products in just about any store that sells anything. The difference in scale and market-share is staggering.

It all seems very amateurish. Imagine buying a car and being told "not this month, manufacturing issues, maybe next quarter!" for months on end. Would anyone stand for it?

Keeping the analogy up, you're expecting GM levels of product delivery from something like, say, Hawk Cars.

Has it always been like this? Nobody told me when I got into this "hobby" that every purchase would be a battle (I don't really consider a series of attempts to pay money to companies for items a hobby, but that's another topic). It's ridiculous, it's tiring, and I don't see it changing any time soon. Sorry for the rant, but it's been on my mind as of late.

No, it hasn't always been like this. Their other properties, Star Trek and BSG (old and new), have much smaller markets and much more lax lincensors to answer to. They never even imagined the demand for high-end wearable costume pieces for Star Wars would be so high. They honestly figured casual costumers would just go with Rubies and hardcore collectors would go with eFX (a whole other kettle of fish), while the track record of Star Wars costumers was to go with the various fan makers or do it themselves.

Their old business model of shopping a planned product to gauge interest and then build to suit demand had worked just fine. Star Wars customers have proven to be a lot more demanding (i.e., not getting that the example/prototype on display is not an indicator that the finished item is sitting in their warehouse in mass quantity waiting to ship), and the process of research and fabrication and packaging has bogged down far beyond their prior experiences, due to how nitpicky LFL and Disney are. They've had a harsh on-the-fly learning curve over the last five years. They've stopped doing pre-sales to gauge interest, and I imagine it won't be long before they stop doing advance orders either altogether (not even having the stuff actually on boats from China is any guarantee of the quality of what will turn up on American shores) or, like, the instant they've done a final QA check for a few days while stuff is packaged up for shipping.

I have had issues with MonCal/FAC, with SGB, with RS, with IOA, with CROWPROPS, etc. And I say that being friends with most of them. About the only fan maker who has been lucky enough to not have something massively groove-interrupting happen has been KW. For all of those, and ANOVOS, I have usually known the gist of what's been going on. Cal's, Will's, and Gio's real-life issues I've been too aware of, and can easily and readily forgive (and I really miss Will). Currently, I'm waiting/hoping to hear back from Jimmiroquai here, or on Facebook, or via e-mail on a matter of some armor pieces... since mid-September. And that's just to get a price so I can send him money.

With ANOVOS, I was fine with the tiered pre-sales. I do really like the payment plan option. I can stretch things out while I wait for the ready-to-ship announcement, and actually pay off the balance once the thing is actually ready to go. But I'm well used to, over the past decade and a half, sending off money and I'll get the thing anywhere from next week to years later. I got my first two pairs of boots from Gio in about two weeks. He ran into multiple issues around the time his Pit Crews replicas went live, and those turned up -- no shipping notice -- two years later, almost to the day. Given what I've seen of the QA issues and the LFL/Disney safety/approval issues ANOVOS has been dealing with, I have to take a Galdalfian approach to what I order from them: Expect it... when I see it. Meanwhile, no issues or complaints at all with their Star Trek or BSG stuff.

--Jonah

It's weird that this is the only type of retail business that I am aware of where delays aren't just expected and accepted, they seem more likely than not to occur.

It all seems very amateurish. Imagine buying a car and being told "not this month, manufacturing issues, maybe next quarter!" for months on end. Would anyone stand for it?

Has it always been like this? Nobody told me when I got into this "hobby" that every purchase would be a battle (I don't really consider a series of attempts to pay money to companies for items a hobby, but that's another topic). It's ridiculous, it's tiring, and I don't see it changing any time soon. Sorry for the rant, but it's been on my mind as of late.
In my experience it's always been like this. Once in awhile you'll have a seller where you pay and he ships the item without any problems, but most of the time sellers look at this hobby as a ATM where they can collect money and ship product whenever they feel like it. I don't see it changing ever as many are happy to hand over money and wait an undetermined amount of time just for the chance to have some item sit on their shelf.

If Anovos isn't a "retail business" (or is only partially so), then what are they, exactly? Is the sole purpose of their existence not to sell things to customers?

Putting retail aside for a moment, I can't think of *any* type of business, period, where the lackadaisical approach to customer service we see with all of the licensed companies wouldn't be completely disastrous for an individual company. Someone casting and cutting plastic in a shed behind their house, I can understand that. But a business with multiple employees in various roles? I just don't get it.

In my experience it's always been like this. Once in awhile you'll have a seller where you pay and he ships the item without any problems, but most of the time sellers look at this hobby as a ATM where they can collect money and ship product whenever they feel like it. I don't see it changing ever as many are happy to hand over money and wait an undetermined amount of time just for the chance to have some item sit on their shelf.

I have been through this soo many times that my desire to buy as many props and expand has diminished a little bit. I stopped searching for alternate places to buy certain props that I can afford. I had my money stolen from a guy named Mark Starvis on a ROTJ Luke saber because his prices were decent and he shipped out a few products. $300 gone. I also had another $300 or so taken by a seamstress for a Vader cape. Like seriously whats wrong with people? Why be so mean and cruel to others and steal. why be labeled as a thief and be blacklisted from the community just to make a few bucks? I don't understand humanity sometimes. Now I digress.

I returned mine to one vendor who didn't have a replacement. I got a full refund and then bought from another vendor. I asked them to inspect for the defect before they shipped. They said they would and that they had sold half a dozen and none were returned. I just received the new one today and no cracks. Yay! Glad I returned it. Phasma is a cool helmet but it's way better without the cracks.

Yeah. I might just go ahead and buy another one from a vendor and try to repair this.

Yeah. I might just go ahead and buy another one from a vendor and try to repair this.

Glad to hear things worked out. If you're ever interested in doing a Shoretrooper build, check out 850 Armor Works or Backstage Props. Backstage Props are located in Taiwan so shipping should be a reasonable price for you.

Which companies have been in the relatively high priced costume/replica market for a long time and operate by putting all of the money into designing and manufacturing their products prior to putting them up for sale?

Even though Anovos sells a good amount of their products, it's still a small operation compared to large toy companies. I doubt they have the capital to operate the way other larger companies do.

If you don't like waiting after paying for a product, just buy in stock items. Even if Anovos sells out an item, there are other vendors and eBay. It shouldn't be hard to get a fairly recently released product somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

If Anovos isn't a "retail business" (or is only partially so), then what are they, exactly? Is the sole purpose of their existence not to sell things to customers?

Well, "retail" is technically accurate for both Hasbro and ANOVOS. But that's because the term just means "selling products through various outlets for profit", with no qualifiers for scale. ANOVOS sells through their own site, an Amazon store, and BBTS, EE, and comic/collectible shop distributors. Hasbro sells through... well, everywhere. Walmart, Target, GameStop, Best Buy, Kohls, Sears, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's, Ace Hardware, Barnes & Noble, Toys R Us, Safeway, Fred Meyer/Kroeger, ThinkGeek... and the same outlets as ANOVOS (well, not ANOVOS' web site, but you know what I mean). Their public exposure is a lot less, their sales volume is a lot less, they don't advertise on TV. Putting them on the same level is not a valid comparison.

--Jonah

I'm not sure who brought up Hasbro, I didn't, but the issues I had recently with Anovos can't really be explained away by their being a relatively small operation. If anything, that should have made my recent issues much easier to resolve. All of this kinda goes back to how it's weird that these companies seem to get a pass from many in the community, or for whatever reason people make excuses for things being the way they are. I guess I'll report back when my Blue Leader helmet ships or I get another email letting me know it's been bumped to next quarter. Carry on, thread.

I'm not sure who brought up Hasbro, I didn't, but the issues I had recently with Anovos can't really be explained away by their being a relatively small operation. If anything, that should have made my recent issues much easier to resolve. All of this kinda goes back to how it's weird that these companies seem to get a pass from many in the community, or for whatever reason people make excuses for things being the way they are. I guess I'll report back when my Blue Leader helmet ships or I get another email letting me know it's been bumped to next quarter. Carry on, thread.
I understand your feelings completely. I've had good luck finding their products from stores after they come in stock, a lot of them are dropping in price below the retail set by Anovos.

Yep, in stock is a good way to avoid hassles. Products have all been great that I've seen, it's just some of the other stuff. Hopefully things improve once the remaining long-delayed items get out the door.

I agree the communication could be much better, especially for already delayed products. Unfortunately there may not be anything new to say since the last update, but at least we wouldn't be as in the dark on the current status.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Eh, need to get screen grabs. Though, I've been closely watching the build threads and whatnot. The biggest glaring issue is that the TIE helmets in-game are the Rogue One DOME w/ a Rogue One Stormtrooper faceplate. The Rouge One TIE faceplate is NOT the same as the R1 TK, and is more in line w/ the original trilogy. Additionally, the lenses are suppose to have a honey-comb pattern, which doesn't appear present on the Anovos.

Where can I go to see the build logs? Thank you for taking the time and explaining, and also posting that awesome pic of the back of the helmet

So even the helmet frank at tested made, is off when it comes to that pill box. His looks huge compared to this photo

Where can I go to see the build logs? Thank you for taking the time and explaining, and also posting that awesome pic of the back of the helmet

So even the helmet frank at tested made, is off when it comes to that pill box. His looks huge compared to this photo

I honestly would point you to the Jolly Rodger 501st pages. I'm in a few of those facebook groups and watch it passively, but a friend of ours I routinely hang out w/ and build props was putting 2 of them together. The issue is that a lot of folks were trying to build the costume before the game was ever released. This is not good, since things change/can change significantly between game trailers and the final product. So, in terms of the 501st creation of the CRL, people did not want to wait, while others did, and folks still are arguing over certain details. I.E., it's a mess at the moment from that POV.

As for the Tested helmet that Frank put together, it's allegedly a cast from a recaster in Arizona who's a "staple" of TIE helmets for years. I don't like the guy, but know those helmets are OT based and differ from the in-game helmet as I explained

I brought up Hasbro as another Star Wars toy-like merchandise license holder, and one that a lot of people expect ANOVOS to be like, in business model, in scope, and so forth. I find ANOVOS' customer service much more helpful than Hasbro's, even though in both cases the people I talk to are similarly unable to actually do anything. I'm not giving ANOVOS a pass -- I expect them to learn from their mistakes and criticism, and, over the past five years, they have been. They're handling their Star Wars stuff completely differently from their other properties, and from how they started out doing their Star Wars stuff.

How it is now still doesn't work, and I'm giving them constructive feedback as I squirmingly wait for my damn FOTK kit. I'm frustrated that we're still waiting for it, two years after TFA opened, but I'm also confidently hopeful it'll be worth the wait. I followed the builds of several "Beta" kits (for the 501st for the premiere, back during the fall of 2015), and noted all the issues that needed addressing -- one of them even noted by ANOVOS, with a replacement resin bit included in the kit, the builder needed to cut out the inaccurate detail, glue in the replacement, and hide the seam to their own skill level. Given the most recent delay was to redo the forming dies in steel rather than the cheaper ones to get sharper detail -- one of the other issues with the Beta kits -- I'm "happy" to wait. As long as it means the end result is worth it, I can deal with a longer wait. I totally get the impatience -- for product, for details, for anything -- but I also am going to hang in and wait and keep giving them suggestions as to how to do it better next time. Because I want there to keep being a next time.

--Jonah

So, are the Vader wingman TIEs shipping anywhere outside of Asia? I am at the point where I doubt that I will ever get it, but now I see it is popping up here and there. I hope to hear something soon. Some vendors on eBay are selling the standard versions for a decent price.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back