ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

there was nothing wrong with the OP's review. He openly admitted to not knowing about accuracy. His review was in regards to expectations. Go to and https://www.anovos.com/collections/...-lt-oxixo-imperial-tie-pilot-helmet-accessory and tell me were it says:

Exact filming production standards
Will be wonky
Flimsy to the touch
Not made to be lopsided but once put in the non accurate liner, it were throw it out of whack

What is does say is: Helmet is created from visual reference of the original prop

Which means they had some pictures. Well guess what. We fans have had pictures of these props for 40 years and still finding new details.

They never promised or indicated the materials they utilized are exact. They could have used a better quality ABS so that it would not be flimsy and not be distorted once the NON-ACCURATE liner/adjustment system is put in place.

An Anovos customer should be able to go to the website, see the images, read the description and have a decent expectation of what they want. I hate to tell you all this but not everyone who wants to buy a helmet is coming to RPF or even interested in props and costumes as a hobby AND THEY DO NOT NEED TO BE ONE. Most people just want an item of what they perceive on screen, not a history lesson and THAT SHOULD BE THE CASE.

So what are you saying: Anovos could post Clone armor for sale and they could actually deliver a green spandex suit with ping pong balls attached?

No company would deliberately say their product will be wonky and flimsy.....I know I wouldn't if I had the same company. They could have used better wordage to convey all that. But there has been a TON of information out there over the years the that explain how the originals where made....and if you or the average Joe Shmo had a vague idea on how they were made the Anovos description as is would be enough to indicate what you would receive. I knew right away what the final product would be like since I was not ignorant and was in the know about the original Star Wars props.

Research is an important factor when buying high dollar items. I never go blind into buying something that expensive with out a little bit of asking around. It would only set you up for disappointment when you thought it was one thing when in fact it was something else. There is always more to things in life then what meets the eye or wallet in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
No company would deliberately say their product will be wonky and flimsy.....I know I wouldn't if I had the same company. They could have used better wordage to convey all that. But there has been a TON of information out there over the years the that explain how the originals where made....and if you or the average Joe Shmo had a vague idea on how they were made the Anovos description as is would be enough to indicate what you would receive. I knew right away what the final product would be like since I was not ignorant and was in the know about the original Star Wars props.

Research is an important factor when buying high dollar items. I never go blind into buying something that expensive with out a little bit of asking around. It would only set you up for disappointment when you thought it was one thing when in fact it was something else. There is always more to things in life then what meets the eye or wallet in this case.
The Anovos OT Stormtrooper listings pretty much say they are wonky. "Distinctive asymmetry, an artifact of the hand-sculpted screen-used pieces created for the original production of 1977’s*Star Wars: A New Hope, with replicated hand-painted style decoration.".

The description of the material could be better in some cases. Some of the listings say "Gloss white UV-coated ABS plastic construction." or "Helmet is constructed in ABS plastic." with no mention of vacuforming. Others say "The helmet is vacuum formed ABS construction.". The First Order Stormtrooper helmets are also ABS, but the method of manufacture is very different so I can understand confusion if the method of manufacture on some products is not mentioned. Some OT stormtrooper helmets like the efx PCR are not made like the original helmets, so knowing how the originals were made doesn't indicate how all replica stormtrooper helmets are made. The listings should clearly specify so the customer knows what to expect.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Again the definite proof that some people do not do any research before buying anything.

Again the definite proof that some people have their nose so far up Anovos's figurative butt, that they will sacrifice their fellow hobbyist to defend poor business practices.

Aren't the two helmets identical except the paint apps?

I don't know Mr "some people do not do any research" Guy. You tell me. Show me definite documentation of the following....

-That all TIE helmets in the movie were made exactly the same. That even though they were hand assembled, nothing deviated.
-What the actual thickness of the material of the actual props one those variants match exactly that of what Anovos used.
-That Anovos was actually able to extract all this true accurate info from "visual' references.
-That when Anovos says 'asymmetrical' in for the standard TIE it did not simply mean because original props were hand sculpted (not via computer aided design) but also lopsided. And it is only lopsided because of the insertion of the liner.

Go ahead... show me all this existing research that is easy to find. I'm waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Same challenge as above to you...

Again the definite proof that some people have their nose so far up Anovos's figurative butt, that they will sacrifice their fellow hobbyist to defend poor business practices.

I don't know Mr "some people do not do any research" Guy. You tell me. Show me definite documentation of the following....

-That all TIE helmets in the movie were made exactly the same. That even though they were hand assembled, nothing deviated.
-What the actual thickness of the material of the actual props one those variants match exactly that of what Anovos used.
-That Anovos was actually able to extract all this true accurate info from "visual' references.
-That when Anovos says 'asymmetrical' in for the standard TIE it did not simply mean because original props were hand sculpted (not via computer aided design) but also lopsided. And it is only lopsided because of the insertion of the liner.

Go ahead... show me all this existing research that is easy to find. I'm waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Starwarshelmets.com has all the valuable information on the original helmets...enough to tell you where Anovos came from with their final products.

Starwarshelmets.com has all the valuable information on the original helmets...enough to tell you where Anovos came from with their final products.

That's your research?... you post a link? That's like turning in an essay to a teacher that is just a map to the library.

Ok, let's play this game....

I read Starwarshelmets.com and it says you are wrong on all counts.

That's your research?... you post a link? That's like turning in an essay to a teacher that is just a map to the library.

Ok, let's play this game....

I read Starwarshelmets.com and it says you are wrong on all counts.

My point is that it describes the original helmets which explains why ANOVOS came up with their final wonky product. That is all im saying.

My point is that it describes the original helmets which explains why ANOVOS came up with their final wonky product. That is all im saying.

Exactly where? Where does it say that the TIE Wingman helmet is not wonky until the liner (which is not film accurate is installed)? Because that is the case with this product. Which people know,,, if they read previous reviews. Show me that piece of documentation.

That's all I'm saying.

It also seems to me that you are a bit disappointing with how the original helmets where made. They were wonky and light vac formed plastic. Hard core fans want wonky and light vac formed plastic....Fans made that but where under the radar. Finally when a company officially does the same thing people cry out crappy product.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly where? Where does it say that the TIE Wingman helmet is not wonky until the liner (which is not film accurate is installed)? Because that is the case with this product. Which people know,,, if they read previous reviews. Show me that piece of documentation.

That's all I'm saying.

The liner can be removed..Easy the end.quit crying about that.

It also seems to me that you are a bit disappointing with how the original helmets where made. They were wonky and light vac formed plastic. Hard core fans want wonky and light vac formed plastic....Fans made that but where under the radar. Finally when a company officially does the same thing people cry out crappy product.

- - - Updated - - -

Missing the point entirely. :facepalm

ok so I am the "OP" with the original "uninformed" review.

I certainly made a few mistakes in my post. I should have NOT called it a review, I should have been more clear of my opinions, expectations and reasons for those opinions. Especially with the value comparison I made with EFX PCR line.

I am NOT apologizing or backing down on my opinion of the item in the context of my wants/expectations

JKNO and others are correct, RPF is an accuracy forum and I failed to CLEARLY explain my expectations/position properly for this forum context.

My intention was not to "bash" it as a completely poor product. I said it was ok, just I thought over priced (given my expectations)... Never did I say I felt ripped off, cheated or that the product was garbage.

I completely agree accuracy in materials and production methods has value, again I should have been more clear on what I valued in the item.

I appreciate the poster who explained the difference in product/cost of Vac Form vs PCR. While I certainly figured/assumed the "thickness" of the material was due to accuracy, the fact PCR is thicker AND cheaper to produce imo is counter intuitive and something I will not be ashamed of getting wrong but also appreciate the learning.

To be fair, dandirk, you did preface several of the opinions you shared with “imo.”

It seems that some members here might have missed that.

I thought your review was fine in what it was- your own opinion as a customer. Reviews are inherently subjective, or, to use another word, the “opinion” of the reviewer.

In the end, if you go back far enough, we were ALL novices once. Always seems silly to berate someone else just because you read about something on some forum or website before they did. It’s also worth remembering that not everyone has an interest in devoting their spare time to the minute differences between this prop and that one. That’s ok. You don’t need a license to buy one of these helmets, nor is there any prerequisite “prop knowledge” level to permit being able to own one.

To quote something someone said in a movie: “pass on what you have learned.” Beyond the thrill of obtaining hard to find stuff, or building it yourself, that’s where the real joy in this sort of hobby comes from.

I'm pretty sure jkno was saying the Anovos TIE helmets are the same product except for the paint job. Reviews and comments about the construction of the Anovos TIE helmets applies to both versions.

As far as I can tell, my Anovos TIE helmet is not warped by the liner. It is possible it was installed incorrectly on some.

Don't forget that Anovos has a costume license, not a prop replica license. They will make their products with wearing in mind, not necessarily replicating every feature of the original props.

ok so I am the "OP" with the original "uninformed" review.

I certainly made a few mistakes in my post. I should have NOT called it a review, I should have been more clear of my opinions, expectations and reasons for those opinions. Especially with the value comparison I made with EFX PCR line.

I am NOT apologizing or backing down on my opinion of the item in the context of my wants/expectations

JKNO and others are correct, RPF is an accuracy forum and I failed to CLEARLY explain my expectations/position properly for this forum context.

My intention was not to "bash" it as a completely poor product. I said it was ok, just I thought over priced (given my expectations)... Never did I say I felt ripped off, cheated or that the product was garbage.

I completely agree accuracy in materials and production methods has value, again I should have been more clear on what I valued in the item.

I appreciate the poster who explained the difference in product/cost of Vac Form vs PCR. While I certainly figured/assumed the "thickness" of the material was due to accuracy, the fact PCR is thicker AND cheaper to produce imo is counter intuitive and something I will not be ashamed of getting wrong but also appreciate the learning.
I can understand preferring a more sturdy helmet over the vacuformed versions. Unfortunately for helmets like the OT stormtrooper and Vader it is necessary to make design changes to allow for injection molding. The OT stormtrooper helmets were vacuformed. The Vader helmets were fiberglass. Injection molding doesn't allow certain things to be done that can be done in vacuforming or fiberglass. In the case of the OT stormtrooper, an injection molded helmet may have advantages in cost and sturdiness but has disadvantages in accuracy.

Other helmets like the First Order Stormtrooper are more suited to injection molding. I'm not sure if it is widely known exactly how the screen used FO stormtrooper helmets were made and what material was used. I doubt the injection molding or fiberglass are accurate to how the actual props were made.

Luckily for certain helmets there are several choices with different features including material used. It's just a matter of researching the differences and deciding which is best for you. Unfortunately some helmets have pretty limited options because they aren't as widely made as stormtroopers and Vader.

Helmet arrived. Not sure I can pinpoint my feelings on it. On one hand, it's more a replica of the exhibition costume helmet, which for me, is cool as a collector. As a "snowtrooper" helmet to use for costuming, not so much. It comes down to helmet construction and choice of cowl material.

The construction isn't entirely good, in that parts like the dome and outer shroud weren't properly trimmed and fitted. The rear boxes are crooked, not correctly shaped and sit too low. For this reason we've denied 501st applicants before. Additionally, they added a "groove" on each side of the eyes which apparently was intended for allowing the edge of the outer shroud to sit into. It's null and void since these grooves are perfectly clear, out and open. Thing that really irks me about this is that not only was this not on the original helmet but if they looked at reference properly, they would have seen that the return edge of the shroud where it meets the eyes are completely removed on the screen used helmets- so these grooves really weren't necessary at all and are a result of a lack of attention to detail.

The cowl material, advertised as a "vinyl" doesn't appear to be any vinyl I've ever seen. It's more of a very thin but stiff plastic. It's not bad looking if you never plan to wear it but I can't even wear it due to it being so stiff, and if I try to force it down, it'll crumple in an adverse way, that or the duct tape holding the cowl in the helmet will likely lift off, as mine was starting to when I tried.

So looking back on it, I paid tier 1 price, but I don't think this helmet is "constructed" for a $250 full price value. The plastic is very thin making the helmet feel fragile and wobly. It couldn't hurt to use thicker ABS? For $250? Come on, and you literally use tape to hold the cowl in there.

This just doesn't feel like it was ever really any kind of object of priority.

Helmet arrived. Not sure I can pinpoint my feelings on it. On one hand, it's more a replica of the exhibition costume helmet, which for me, is cool as a collector. As a "snowtrooper" helmet to use for costuming, not so much. It comes down to helmet construction and choice of cowl material.

The construction isn't entirely good, in that parts like the dome and outer shroud weren't properly trimmed and fitted. The rear boxes are crooked, not correctly shaped and sit too low. For this reason we've denied 501st applicants before. Additionally, they added a "groove" on each side of the eyes which apparently was intended for allowing the edge of the outer shroud to sit into. It's null and void since these grooves are perfectly clear, out and open. Thing that really irks me about this is that not only was this not on the original helmet but if they looked at reference properly, they would have seen that the return edge of the shroud where it meets the eyes are completely removed on the screen used helmets- so these grooves really weren't necessary at all and are a result of a lack of attention to detail.

The cowl material, advertised as a "vinyl" doesn't appear to be any vinyl I've ever seen. It's more of a very thin but stiff plastic. It's not bad looking if you never plan to wear it but I can't even wear it due to it being so stiff, and if I try to force it down, it'll crumple in an adverse way, that or the duct tape holding the cowl in the helmet will likely lift off, as mine was starting to when I tried.

So looking back on it, I paid tier 1 price, but I don't think this helmet is "constructed" for a $250 full price value. The plastic is very thin making the helmet feel fragile and wobly. It couldn't hurt to use thicker ABS? For $250? Come on, and you literally use tape to hold the cowl in there.

This just doesn't feel like it was ever really any kind of object of priority.

I got my snowtrooper helmet today, and this sums up my feelings too. It feels and looks like they built it in under an hour. The trimming of the top dome is wavy and uneven. The way they tapped the thin green lens inside has it rippled, they don't lay flat. Also disappointed to look inside and see that most of it is taped together. The vinyl is so stiff you can't really wear it. I think the biggest insult is that for a 2.5 year wait, the final product feels like it was slapped together as quickly as possible to get them out the door. The final insult was that they sold & shipped the kits out before the completed helmets. I'd have preferred to get a kit because I could have done a better job than what I got, but that wasn't an option when I paid for this thing back in 2015.

It boggles my mind why they wouldn't just use marine vinyl; I mean it's not that hard to find. Plus duct tape to hold it together sounds more like something a beginner would do not a company charging top dollar for licensed helmet.
What's next a TK helmet make from cardboard and hot glue ;)

It boggles my mind why they wouldn't just use marine vinyl; I mean it's not that hard to find. Plus duct tape to hold it together sounds more like something a beginner would do not a company charging top dollar for licensed helmet.
What's next a TK helmet make from cardboard and hot glue ;)

Marine vinyl isn't accurate, but there's known sources and materials they should have been using

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! The original TIE and TK helmets were not fiberglass, but ABS, and wonky as hell. And this is not a secret. It is already mentioned this on every serious prop site like RPF, 501st groups, Prop Den, starwarshelmets.com, etc. etc. These days you have many choices, including idealized or not, but people should do simple research before spending their hard earned cash and then be disappointed by the wonky flimsy product.

I'm pretty sure jkno was saying the Anovos TIE helmets are the same product except for the paint job. Reviews and comments about the construction of the Anovos TIE helmets applies to both versions.

As far as I can tell, my Anovos TIE helmet is not warped by the liner. It is possible it was installed incorrectly on some.

Don't forget that Anovos has a costume license, not a prop replica license. They will make their products with wearing in mind, not necessarily replicating every feature of the original props.

BINGO, Griffaw is right, that is exactly what I meant through my post: Anovos TIE helmets are the same product except for the paint job. But Mara Jade's Father didn't even read the link from the screen shot I and him posted, the one saying "Helmet is also available in Lt. Oxixo variant paint scheme" and "Helmet is also available in Basic variant paint scheme".

- - - Updated - - -

Just chill dude LOL I like how you consider yourself a crusader in the name of the hobbysts. Hilarious. There is enough information out there describing the screen used TIE Pilot helmets, as well as the Anovos ones, and others. We are in the age of internet, you don't need to go to a library and borrow books to read there. You can also use Google, you know. You can also come to various forums and boards, plus Facebook groups, and ask members who own these helmets already. You are like those students wanting everything in a single place, to chew it instantly,, with no research of any kind on their part. And you still forgot to look on the Anovos Oxixo TIE Pilot site where it clearly says: Helmet is also available in Basic variant paint scheme, and the basic TIE Pilot it has a similar link: Helmet is also available in Lt. Oxixo variant paint scheme. Talking about missing the point again and again, to use your common phrase:facepalm...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back