ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

The 501st is made up of a huge array of different minded individuals, much like this community. I wouldn't lump all of the 501st into that one judgement call. I realize there are some.

The sad thing is, good people like you aren't the ones with the loudest voices in that community.

As for why some members in the 501st would dismiss the EFX TK suit or "tear it apart", well, that's their choice. It isn't "The 501st" as a whole doing it, just individuals.

It was definitely those who claimed to represent the club and/or who held position of "authority" within the club.

They can definitely correct me if I am wrong but from what I've experienced with the Anovos crew is they are a lot like I have been all of my 15 years doing this, with wanting to make costumes, ... that get worn, used, and abused ... so I believe they want to achieve as much accuracy as they can while providing a high quality costume that can be worn and depended on to hold up (unlike how most original movie costumes were made), while staying within the obvious and inevitable confines of manufacturing and smart business making decisions.

Yup, I think @Gotmaul mentioned something along those lines. They are striving for accuracy, but unlike eFX who are making items to be displayed only, Anovos is keeping in mind that there are wearable costumes and sometimes sacrifices will be made for greater wearability/durabiliy which I think is a good compromise from a costuming perspective.

What's crazy is I was JUST at Fan Expo in Vancouver, and the 501st was there. They had their usual costumes and an R2 unit, and on the table a couple lightsaber hilts. Crazy inaccurate hilts. Like a thick necked Obi-Wan, and a weird grip Luke. Gotta say I was a little disappointed in them. Weaponry not as picked over?

That's excellent to hear about the Vader! And holy heck now you've gotten me excited to see it... Having a full blown accurate suit like that all in one package is an extremely hard thing to do, and to hear that you guys are doing it... that's just awesome.
Not going to lie, I've been wanting to get an ESB costume collection going on to have on mannequins in my house.... I think you guys can help make that happen! Hahaha!

Thanks for the info GotMaul. I already signed up for the newsletter, and will be following your work. :thumbsup Thanks again for offering these to the Star Wars fans :)

RINZLERTRON - Well, being that theme is ESB for 2014, I think you're in luck !

Thanks for the all the support, all. David alluded to it between EFX, UDReplicas and ANOVOS, this is going to be a killer time to be a Star Wars fan !

Any chance there may be an a la carte or soft parts only option on some the costumes with armour components?

Zen walker - we will have options that will service various levels of costuming need. We are still building out buy page drop downs so we will have more information as it comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excuse the slightly OT query, but:
I've been told by a few folk who were admiring your excellent Star Wars work, that you're planning to also make Colonial Marine armour from "Aliens" at some point - And that you "Have original Terry English moulds".
This intrigues me - Could you tell us a bit more about that, please?

Mmm. I believe the 501st will have no problem with the Vader being submitted as long as it is probably accurate to a specific film and made from the same quality of materials.

Overall it's the look though in my book. You can have the best most accurate costume in the world but if it doesn't fit you properly you're not going to pull it off lol

Of course if you are doing it for the love of it then it doesn't matter one bit really does it?

I wouldn't say everyone in the 501st with less than accurate gear or FX armour prances...I think many are motivated by the charity work. Maybe...lol

I think it's good there is some grey areas in interpretation though.

It sorta reminds me of the battles over recasting. It's perfectly ok for some things to be recasted and sold by some and not by others on various boards. Lol depends who is in Charge really.

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's crazy is I was JUST at Fan Expo in Vancouver, and the 501st was there. They had their usual costumes and an R2 unit, and on the table a couple lightsaber hilts. Crazy inaccurate hilts. Like a thick necked Obi-Wan, and a weird grip Luke. Gotta say I was a little disappointed in them. Weaponry not as picked over?

I'm derailing off topic but I feel I should address this: As the Squad leader for the 501st in BC, I'll speak only my personal observation and perspective. The 2 sabers you referred to: many of the table props displayed were for people to handle and pose with in the charity photo booth. They ranged from cheap painted Hasbro blasters to off the shelf Park sabers for display. There was no intention for "accuracy". Just some fun things to handle for guests.

If you want to talk accuracy and pushing levels of quality, we have plenty of examples in our squad. Feel free to check out any of my build threads on here, Whitearmor, Mepd, etc. I have helped establish many of the higher levels of accuracy now adopted as 501st standard. So please don't judge a book by its cover at a fan convention. We can be plenty accurate with costumes, props and weapons as much as is seen here on the RPF.

Back on topic to Anovos: I know they have a keen eye for detail and I think they have a good market scoped out. Doesn't really matter if 501st don't buy from them as there are makers and suppliers for them too. Anovos provides an alternative product for a specific audience which is great, I wish them the best on their new projects.

Thanks for the all the support, all. David alluded to it between EFX, UDReplicas and ANOVOS, this is going to be a killer time to be a Star Wars fan !

Is everything shown with the Luke Bespin available from Anovos or will the DL-44 Blaster and Lightsaber come from EFX?
Also, who will be making accurate boots?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back