ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Obviously happy and excited to see true fans doing what they love for a living and I know they will do things right.

Honestly not excited to see a Darth Vader costume in the works. I know it will look stellar, but guys like me and many others work really hard on making awesome, accurate Vader costumes and because of the details needed to get it right and the cost involved there are less Vaders out there compared to many other popular costumes. With Anovos making a high-end super accurate version, any jerk with $8,000 can have a stunning Darth Vader costume with no work. I know really that's an awesome thing, and something I might have wanted before I started making my own, but it just makes me feel sad.

On the flip side, maybe I'll stop seeing those ugly, horrible plastic Rubies DV costumes and those guys will upgrade to a far superior turn-key kit.

I feel a bit the same way- just finishing up an ANH Vader costume which was a journey rather than a purchase and in doing so, learned far more about Vader that I would have if I just plunked down $$$ for the costume.

However, a new source of quality, accurate costumes for SW characters is always a good thing for the SW community and the franchise- looking forward to seeing their offerings in the near future:).

To everyone worrying about their Vaders...

I have no doubts that the 501st will re-write their costuming rules so no one will be able to use an Anovos Vader right out of the box...

To everyone worrying about their Vaders...

I have no doubts that the 501st will re-write their costuming rules so no one will be able to use an Anovos Vader right out of the box...
Unless there was some problem with accuracy on the ANOVOS costume, that would be just weird....

Unless there was some problem with accuracy on the ANOVOS costume, that would be just weird....

It's not just how accurate the costume looks, but how accurate you look in that costume. If you bought a cleared 501'st costume from someone else you would still have to tweak it to fit you and re-submit it for clearance. So unless you are fortunate enough that the costume fits you 'off the peg', you would still have to modify it to pass clearance.

It's not just how accurate the costume looks, but how accurate you look in that costume. If you bought a cleared 501'st costume from someone else you would still have to tweak it to fit you and re-submit it for clearance. So unless you are fortunate enough that the costume fits you 'off the peg', you would still have to modify it to pass clearance.
I get that, but I figured a proper fit was already covered in the rules. I just thought it would be weird to re-write the rules simply because a high-end costume hits the market

Me too. I'm 6' and lanky so it wouldn't look right. Now... if it was a ANH costume I might be tempted since it would help to have something to go with my landspeeder ;) It had better come with a wig too though...haha..I grew my hair out for the Lone Ranger movie and that kinda sucked. I don't think I could live with a Luke hair cut.

LOL!!! I have the opposite problem, perfect fit with Stormtroopers and Luke, started a great Vader accuracy wise, figuring out that following 501st's rules I could never reach the proper Height and stature, so I'm turning it into a Lifesize display!:rolleyes
Problem is, now I have to dig out Prowse's measures and figure out how to make a correct Prowseish display mannequin!!:D Without spending a fortune on a musclesuits!:facepalm

Getting back from OT, can't wait to see how the Luke's Bespin costume is going to cost, since with the holster I'll finish also the parts of the Hoth Luke pilot I'm also making!!:D

Regards,

Alberto

Honestly not excited to see a Darth Vader costume in the works. I know it will look stellar, but guys like me and many others work really hard on making awesome, accurate Vader costumes and because of the details needed to get it right and the cost involved there are less Vaders out there compared to many other popular costumes. With Anovos making a high-end super accurate version, any jerk with $8,000 can have a stunning Darth Vader costume with no work. I know really that's an awesome thing, and something I might have wanted before I started making my own, but it just makes me feel sad.

I have seen this mentality many times in the past, and every time I see it, I am confused by it. Why do you care what other people have or how they obtained it? As long as they are breaking into your house and stealing YOUR Vader, what difference does it make? Do you love your Vader because it is Vader and a fantastic replica that you crafted with your own two hands or because you have one and few others do? If the latter, why does that matter to you?

Not picking on your specifically, because you are definitely not the only person who feels this way, but this is something I have just never understood as it feels like it comes out of the pettiness of the collecting mentality where value is derived from having something others don't instead of value being derived from the object itself.

From the 501st? Not so much... Keep in mind, eFX showed off a set of stormtrooper armor cast off the only known complete set of armor known to exist and the 501st was very quick to dismiss it, while they still have people prancing around in FX armor...

Clone armor would be very intriguing, particularly if they do Cody or Wolffe. Anybody know the company's track record with armor costumes? Wish they got the license for Boba Fett, maybe someday ;)

I'd like to shed some light on the subject of a Darth Vader costume for the 501st.....
From what I know of Anovos costumes, YES it will be a very nice looking replica. But, it will be a GENERIC Vader, which the 501st does not allow.
Now, I could be wrong, but I've heard from a few sources on the 501st that most likely a lot of people will be upset because it will have to have tweaks to it to make it through approval. Don't ask me how they know this, because I have no clue...
Naturally, for the suit to look right, it would have to be:
1) Proportioned perfectly to your fit
2) The cape and robe would have to be a certain length
3) The suit should be made of leather to have the correct look, but pleather can pass as well.
If I know costume companies, high end ones too, they usually don't ask for measurements unless it's just a simple store that sells on Ebay or is a simple vendor, but not a company that reaches out to a large portion of people. My Leather suit that I use for Vader was made to my measurements with my muscle suit on and so it fits as it should. But, if something has just a small, medium, large type size chart, I'm not sure how well it's going to work for the 501st....
Other issues? They need to stick with a Vader version and go with it. Look at companies like sideshow collectibles.... They sell EXTREMELY nice Vader figures (such as the Vader deluxe figure that was just released) but the truth about that figure is that their claiming it as a ROTJ figure when the truth is that it is not. For ROTJ, the dome would have to sit higher, the chest box would need to be different (from what I can tell), and other things like that. Most companies KNOW that even the very devoted fans cannot tell the difference if a Vader is super accurate or just generic. Kotobukiya, Sideshow, and all those companies create Vaders and call them a Vader from a certain movie when the truth is they are just generic.
Now, I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying something bad about Anovos, and what I'm about to say will hopefully change your mind if you think that.... Do I believe what I've been told from the resources of the 501st? I did, yeah, until I saw the pictures of the Luke Bespin suit.... If the Luke Bespin suit look that good, I see no reason why the Vader won't be accurate. If Anovos is as detail oriented as what I've heard and they stick to ONE version of Vader, yes, I do believe this will be a very high end and accurate replica. I hope that they choose to go with real wool, leather, and satin for the costume pieces, and really stick to what is known as the "best" Vader sources. I have high hopes that they end up being at least basic approval worthy suits for the 501st.

Clone armor would be very intriguing, particularly if they do Cody or Wolffe. Anybody know the company's track record with armor costumes? Wish they got the license for Boba Fett, maybe someday ;)

They have the license for Star Wars costumes, so Boba Fett is covered. Now, whether they choose to take that one on or not will be their choice, but they certainly have the license to do so and they have already shown off a Jango Fett, so I am thinking Boba isn't out of the question.

They have the license for Star Wars costumes, so Boba Fett is covered. Now, whether they choose to take that one on or not will be their choice, but they certainly have the license to do so and they have already shown off a Jango Fett, so I am thinking Boba isn't out of the question.

Sweetness :thumbsup Boba's a big seller, if they have the license I'd presume they'd tackle it sooner or later.

From the 501st? Not so much... Keep in mind, eFX showed off a set of stormtrooper armor cast off the only known complete set of armor known to exist and the 501st was very quick to dismiss it, while they still have people prancing around in FX armor...

Yeah, i just thinking about that only known complete set, could it be the one stolen from the set? Isn't it from a private collection? The Making of Star Wars notes a stolen Stormtrooper costume when it shows a picture of Joe Johnston being suited up as the spacetrooper.

The 501st is made up of a huge array of different minded individuals, much like this community. I wouldn't lump all of the 501st into that one judgement call. I realize there are some. There are uber elitists in the club who try to push the CRL's (acceptance guides) to the point where they want members to have the correct stitching to be in the club. Then there are those who just enjoy wearing their costumes to support charities and to have fun so the costumes don't have to be uber accurate. As long as they are professional, have high quality costumes, and the general public sees that then they are good. The FX kit may make some of us cringe and may not be accurate but it is still high quality and serves the purpose of the organization. It is just a costuming club. It is also a club who assisted charities in raising $32.8 million last year world wide. All in all, it's a pretty awesome organization. Back to the elitist way of thinking, I myself am one who usually pushes for the extreme level of detail (most of the time anyway), but that's just for myself and for educating others. I don't believe in forcing new members to achieve what I want. I love the club. I have been a very active member since 2003. I have also been an active member of this community since 1999. Both are important to me personally and that's even with both having their "tools".

As for why some members in the 501st would dismiss the EFX TK suit or "tear it apart", well, that's their choice. It isn't "The 501st" as a whole doing it, just individuals. There is likely practical reasoning such as durability for heavy costuming, customizability vs. practicality, fitting different body types, budget, loyalty to their own, etc. There's is a customizable market.

They can definitely correct me if I am wrong but from what I've experienced with the Anovos crew is they are a lot like I have been all of my 15 years doing this, with wanting to make costumes, ... that get worn, used, and abused ... so I believe they want to achieve as much accuracy as they can while providing a high quality costume that can be worn and depended on to hold up (unlike how most original movie costumes were made), while staying within the obvious and inevitable confines of manufacturing and smart business making decisions.

Last edited:
So in the end will the OT armors and helmets from Anovos be made from original molds and as accurate as possible? Or they will be more idealized?

Firstly, David P. is quite the word master and I honestly could not have said it better myself. His description is deadly accurate and hit the nail on the head with regard to the demarcation of EFX and Anovos. Thank you also for your patience letting us get back on our feet after a draining C2E2.

ESB DARTH VADER TALK

As for the Vader, this is an ESB Vader as the paint scheme and structure will reflect. To be clear, we will not be pulling from any screen used molds or direct lineage molds. This is called the "Legendary Edition" prop replication, which is something that EFX masterfully creates and offers. Anovos creates "Premium" and "Standard" editions, much like our current costume lines, where Premiums replicate original fabrics/detailing/features (in this case, leather and 100% wool), and Standards with an economic substitute (vinyl, polyester blends). As for our molds, we have sources elsewhere, which have asked not to be revealed and we will respect. Regardless, we have made vast structural changes. While maintaining certain levels of accuracy, these changes will also increase user comfort and independence in costuming. One such feature aims at giving the you the benefit of gearing up independently, exemplified in "doming" your own helmet (place the dome on your head) without need for assistance or mirror for visual alignment --- in other words, perfect placement every time, locked into place. This, along with other modifications will aim to finely balance accuracy and costume abilities. While I can't and won't promise the most accurate prop replica every built, we will try our darn hardest to undoubtedly present, the finest and most accurate ESB Darth Vader Fully Wearable Costume ever created under a licensed Lucasfilm/Disney brand.

501st

Little known fact, the founders of the Anovos were once Midwest Garrison 501st members...yes, who actively trooped at events :) Therefore, the 501st needs and concerns have always been a strong consideration in our development of the Star Wars line. While I can't and won't guarantee that every costume will be 501st approved, what I can tell you is that we have approached top leadership about inviting members to actively participate at ground level in helping to consult on the creation of armor sets and programs that will mutually benefit both our organizations, while also overall increase the accessibility of armor to the general public. We look forward to this and should have more information soon on some of these programs.

Luke Bespin Fatigues
If all goes to plan, we are looking at opening pre-orders on May the 4th. This was one of the first costumes we asked specifically to view from the Lucas Archives and thankfully, from their very limited stock on ESB costumes, they had this fully complete. We took extensive measurements, patterned directly off the screen used outfit, and even took digital pantones from the original outfit. You wouldn't believe how complex this costume truly is, despite its outward appearance of simplicity. If you looked close enough to our production prototype, we recreated these subtleties such as the convex bend of the overlapping lapel, enlarged neck hole with specific collar-stitched detail, and most importantly, the inclusion of complex system of padding/facing/interface that unnaturally extends through the whole jacket to create the military-like framing of the jacket. All together, this will be the most accurate replica of a Luke Skywalker Bespin Fatigue ever offered by a licensed entity. We are very proud and excited for this one.

Boba Fett
As you wish...

NEWSLETTER :
Why this is important : Because you need to sign up. Why ? Because of the way we sell things! If you haven't purchased with our company before, ANOVOS is a pre-order site, much like many others. BUT, we do pre-orders in "Tiers" which rewards early adopters. Tiers 1,2 and 3 have limited spots where Tier 1 "Founders" has the deepest discounts, Tier 2 "Pioneers" have a less discount and Tier 3 is the least discounted. Therefore, the earlier in, the greater your value. For example, in the launch of our Star Trek Enterprise Jacket, the full retail value is $235, but Tier 1 Founders got it for $150 and sold out all 100 spots in just a few hours ! This is our way of giving back and saying thank you to our most faithful. Furthermore, we will build in even more exclusives in the near future. Why newsletter ? Newsletter people get the first crack at the tiers, so from one RPF member to another, this reward system might give you the little extra help to buy into the product you want. So be sure to sign up : ANOVOS Productions LLC | ANOVOS Productions LLC (in the "About" Tab) to get our newsletters.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back