ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

I'd keep a Stormie RS helmet instead of 10 Anovos.

Well yeah, so would I, but if he is disappointed in the wonkyness of the Anovos, he'd be even more sorely disappointed in the RS. He said, "I don't need super screen accurate, but I was expecting more for $250," but screen accurate means bumpy, paint drippy, unevenly trimmed, etc. In this case, screen accuracy correlates to crappiness. Some of us, myself included, like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn't change the molding of the teeth from their previous version, just the painting correct?

No, they kept the same teeth. The difference aside from the paint is how they trimmed it. If you compare it to their original version, the open-areas between each tooth was trimmed cleanly up to the edges of the teeth, like anyone building the helmet logically would. On this new version, however, in their attempt to "make it more accurate" by having a more rounded appearance like the originals, they didn't fully trim the excess plastic, but instead made the hole and rounded out the top and bottom.

The orange line is roughly where the maximum trim point. This just points out that they left untrimmed material to make the "rounded" appearance, which is incorrect

anovos tk teeth compare.jpg

No, they kept the same teeth. The difference aside from the paint is how they trimmed it. If you compare it to their original version, the open-areas between each tooth was trimmed cleanly up to the edges of the teeth, like anyone building the helmet logically would. On this new version, however, in their attempt to "make it more accurate" by having a more rounded appearance like the originals, they didn't fully trim the excess plastic, but instead made the hole and rounded out the top and bottom.

The orange line is roughly where the maximum trim point. This just points out that they left untrimmed material to make the "rounded" appearance, which is incorrect

View attachment 757152

Chris thank you very much for the picture and explanation, that makes total sense

Well yeah, so would I, but if he is disappointed in the wonkyness of the Anovos, he'd be even more sorely disappointed in the RS. He said, "I don't need super screen accurate, but I was expecting more for $250," but screen accurate means bumpy, paint drippy, unevenly trimmed, etc. In this case, screen accuracy correlates to crappiness. Some of us, myself included, like that.

You can add bumps and paint drips to a clean helmet, but it is pretty difficult to take the bumps away when they are molded into the plastic.

If Anovos still offered the helmet kit, you could trim it sloppily as well.

I can understand some wanting the bumps of the original, but it doesn't make much sense to me that all helmets from the same maker have the exact same paint drip/chip bumps. They should vary from helmet to helmet. Other bumps actually in the original plastic, but not from paint, does make sense to be on every copy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

View attachment 757152
If the originals had somewhat rounded teeth, how is the new version incorrect for not being trimmed straight? Maybe they are a little too round, but straight doesn't match the originals.

You can always file some material away if there is too much material.

It looks like the paint should get closer to the top and bottom as well.

If the originals had somewhat rounded teeth, how is the new version incorrect for not being trimmed straight? Maybe they are a little too round, but straight doesn't match the originals.

You can always file some material away if there is too much material.

It looks like the paint should get closer to the top and bottom as well.

Because the helmet's teeth are not properly trimmed to properly replicate that look. As I stated on the last page, this helmet originates from a STUNT helmet, and they clearly are trying to force a HERO style look onto the teeth.

Lastly, you can search for it on google, there's a nice collage of the original helmet Stunt frowns (I can't get it cause the image is blocked on my work comp) which shows you all the various ways the frowns looked like.

I'll post this last image here, which if you put side-by-side with the V2 anovos, you'll see that the Anovos is clearly incorrect in that they just didn't trim it properly- its just too deep/recessed into the material that shouldn't be there to begin with

LFL_Storm_Stunt01.jpg

The teeth can always be fixed. It looks like a simple task for the know how. My thing is the pricing for the helmet and kit is a lot cheaper then the fan made kits ive priced before. I haven't seen a fan made kit that was $450 with a finished helmet. That is a big huge advantage for a working class guy like me. I have seen $650 or more with the helmet still in kit form. Id take those Anovos teeth any day.

Speaking of that, how would one go about fixing those teeth? Removing the backing mesh, and just filing the excess material away?

Hey, I don't really want to start a debate but something I've been asking myself a lot lately as I would love to buy a really nice stormtrooper helmet is that there doesn't seem to be a really good offer to do either a really realistic stunt or a really realistic hero at the moment.
For me, it seems that this anovos helmet would be a good choice for a Hero helmet if you consider the material and the fact that it's cleaned. but they put the stunt teeth on it.
And the RS that everyone seems to be recomending to someone that wants something accurate also bothers me a bit because it's based on a stunt and has all of the bumps and stuff but is made of nice ABS white plastic like the hero. It seems to me that the hero should be smooth.
At some point RS offered a version which was made of that amazingly ugly green plastic, that you could paint and weather to make it look like a perfect stunt helmet but it doesn't seem to be offered anymore.
I don't really know what to be taking. especially considering that I would prefer to build it. (actually, I know what I want, I want that green RS, but it's not made anymore :cry)
Sorry, I don't know if this is appropriate in this thread as it wasn't really just about the stormtroopers.
cheers guys

Thanks for the input. After reading what was discussed it's grown on me. I think this winter I'll trim the teeth a bit, and extend the grey paint up to more closely match the picture tubachris85x posted above.

You can add bumps and paint drips to a clean helmet, but it is pretty difficult to take the bumps away when they are molded into the plastic.

I can understand some wanting the bumps of the original, but it doesn't make much sense to me that all helmets from the same maker have the exact same paint drip/chip bumps. They should vary from helmet to helmet. Other bumps actually in the original plastic, but not from paint, does make sense to be on every copy.

I was responding to somebody who said the Anovos helmet didn't live up to his expectations because it was wonky and not finished as cleanly as he thought it would be. I was just saying that wonkiness is screen accurate and that a more accurate helmet, up close, would look much worse. It would have bumps, paint drips, poorly cut parts, etc.

Speaking of that, how would one go about fixing those teeth? Removing the backing mesh, and just filing the excess material away?

If your helmet is anything like mine the mesh is just tacked in with glue and comes off easy. An exacto knife would make quick work of the excess since the plastic is really thin. While your at it might as well clean up around the eyes, too.

If your helmet is anything like mine the mesh is just tacked in with glue and comes off easy. An exacto knife would make quick work of the excess since the plastic is really thin. While your at it might as well clean up around the eyes, too.

Thanks for that info. I know that on my gen 1 anovos, it's just a little piece of screen behind the frown and front what I've seen in pics the frown is backed with a much more substantial piece of mesh and felt on the new one. The eyes are supposed to be much better trimmed on this new release

Hey, I don't really want to start a debate but something I've been asking myself a lot lately as I would love to buy a really nice stormtrooper helmet is that there doesn't seem to be a really good offer to do either a really realistic stunt or a really realistic hero at the moment.
For me, it seems that this anovos helmet would be a good choice for a Hero helmet if you consider the material and the fact that it's cleaned. but they put the stunt teeth on it.
And the RS that everyone seems to be recomending to someone that wants something accurate also bothers me a bit because it's based on a stunt and has all of the bumps and stuff but is made of nice ABS white plastic like the hero. It seems to me that the hero should be smooth.
At some point RS offered a version which was made of that amazingly ugly green plastic, that you could paint and weather to make it look like a perfect stunt helmet but it doesn't seem to be offered anymore.
I don't really know what to be taking. especially considering that I would prefer to build it. (actually, I know what I want, I want that green RS, but it's not made anymore :cry)
Sorry, I don't know if this is appropriate in this thread as it wasn't really just about the stormtroopers.
cheers guys
You could paint a white helmet with primer the green color, mask parts you want to show through, then paint the white. There is a tutorial on whitearmor.net in the Rogue One Build thread building and painting a Shoretrooper helmet. Similar techniques should work to make a beat up looking stormtrooper.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

You don't need the forehead bumps to have an accurate helmet. The sharpness of the Anovos cannot be taken away. It stands out like a sore thumb.

You don't need the forehead bumps to have an accurate helmet. The sharpness of the Anovos cannot be taken away. It stands out like a sore thumb.
I'm not just talking about the forehead bumps. The original helmets are lumpy all over from multiple layers of thick paint, chipping, paint runs, abuse, etc. Molding the exact marks from one helmet into every copy is unrealistic if you compare a group of those helmets to a group of screen used helmets that all have unique lumps, chipping, paint runs, etc.

If you want an exact copy of a specific character, I can see the desire to have all the defects molded in. But even in that case there are usually multiple helmets that each have their own defects.

I just don't like helmets that represent a large group all having the same defects from only one helmet from the movies when the defects we're unique on each helmet in the movies.

Ideally there would be a helmet like the originals before they were painted. Then you can add as much abuse and defects as you want and each would be unique like the screen used helmets. I totally understand that there is no helmet available like that. I think Anovos attempted to go that route to a certain extent but may have cleaned up too much. The difficult part is some people want one that is even more idealized and others want one less idealized, so there is no way to make a helmet that is ideal for everyone.

As far as the Anovos standing out for being overly sharp, is that compared to the overly soft versions that have been made by different makers over the years or to original helmets? I can see where it is somewhat sharper than the originals, but I suspect that was intentional because the originals were hastily made due to limited budget and time and look pretty poor up close.

Don't forget that Anovos has a costume license not a high end replica license. They aren't trying to produce an exact copy of the original props.

As far as the Anovos standing out for being overly sharp, is that compared to the overly soft versions that have been made by different makers over the years or to original helmets? I can see where it is somewhat sharper than the originals, but I suspect that was intentional because the originals were hastily made due to limited budget and time and look pretty poor up close.

Don't forget that Anovos has a costume license not a high end replica license. They aren't trying to produce an exact copy of the original props.

To the originals

anovos stormtrooper compare original.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back