ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Very interesting to see that the 501st requires 6 or 7 stitches in the cap even at the basic level, seemingly (I've never bothered to count the stitches until this came up in this thread.) Interesting that Anovos would go this route, but I'm not in any position to doubt someone who said it matches (at least some of) the originals.

Who knows though, the 501st is the same organization that used to give a big thumbs up to the FX Stormtrooper helmet and armor, so I don't really take their word as gospel. Will be interesting to see this play out.
What the 501st accepts is sometimes hard to understand. At times they are very strict to the point that some actual screen used items would not be accepted. Other times they are pretty loose. Some of it appears to depend on which costume it is.

There are screen shots of some costumes that do not pass the CRL.

I understand some of it is to enforce consistency. That is probably more important for stormtroopers since that is the most likely to have multiple costumes at an event.

But in the case of the IO hat, I would have preferred the Anovos have six stitches just because that is the most common in screen shots from the films.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Very interesting to see that the 501st requires 6 or 7 stitches in the cap even at the basic level, seemingly (I've never bothered to count the stitches until this came up in this thread.) Interesting that Anovos would go this route, but I'm not in any position to doubt someone who said it matches (at least some of) the originals.

Who knows though, the 501st is the same organization that used to give a big thumbs up to the FX Stormtrooper helmet and armor, so I don't really take their word as gospel. Will be interesting to see this play out.
I can see all the members of public at 501 trooping events up in arms over this! there's a stitch line missing!

Not on our screen used reference. I am looking at it right now. Now, to be fair, you are wrong on both points. lol :

There were in fact multiple variants of the hat, but between the variants it was a 5 stitch and a 7 (yup, I said SEVEN) stitched line. We went with the hat we could pull direct patterns from and had the most reference to get you the most accurate one out there...because it is our job and commitment to the community.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes:)....

- - - Updated - - -

You are too kind and I appreciate the kind words. The team worked really hard on this helmet and am so very appreciative of the warm reception it has received.

I can see all the members of public at 501 trooping events up in arms over this! there's a stitch line missing!

Thats irrelevant there are standards and i like to stick to them because its important to me after all im the one paying for it and wearing it

Not really as i said its important to me i dont expect others to understand and that is their right but its not cool to make light of others OCD i do however apologies for using dick that was a bit strong

Ok, you two kiss and make up, its the Star Wars Holiday Special time of year, lets get back to complaining about Star Wars props!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FX armor is, for the most part, not approvable with the 501st anymore. Those who were approved previously with an FX remain approved members but a new applicant would most likely be denied...

As for all the negativity surrounding the legion, I've been a member for 6 months now. Sure, I've seen some accounts of rivets counting but for the most part, my experience has been that it's a group of friendly star wars enthousiasts... We have fun at events, we go out for drinks and overall, it's been a great time!

So, this all being said - can anyone from Anovos talk to the Legion people about the Officer hat being approved?

As of right now, we have multiple people in our garrison who waited over 2 years and paid good money for a hat that cannot be approved for 501st use. And no, I don't feel I should take apart a brand new hat to add a stitch line on a new product which should be "screen accurate".

I am one of those Legion people and staff in the officer corps changing a CRL is time consuming and wont be done over night also we would need a reference to a screen hat with 5 lines but in Anovos defence and yes i will stick up for them when justified they dont make their costumes just for the 501st

FX armor is, for the most part, not approvable with the 501st anymore. Those who were approved previously with an FX remain approved members but a new applicant would most likely be denied...

As for all the negativity surrounding the legion, I've been a member for 6 months now. Sure, I've seen some accounts of rivets counting but for the most part, my experience has been that it's a group of friendly star wars enthousiasts... We have fun at events, we go out for drinks and overall, it's been a great time!

I wasn't trying to be negative, and specifically said "used to" in relation to the FX armor to clarify. I don't have any of the hatred or disdain for the 501st that some others seem to have, all I was saying was that the idea of what is "accurate" per the 501st has changed in the past, and could well change again. The FX armor was just the most extreme example I could think of. :cheers

I wasn't trying to be negative, and specifically said "used to" in relation to the FX armor to clarify. I don't have any of the hatred or disdain for the 501st that some others seem to have, all I was saying was that the idea of what is "accurate" per the 501st has changed in the past, and could well change again. The FX armor was just the most extreme example I could think of. :cheers
That's ok, no offense taken ;)

It's just that you hear those things from people outside the 501st and can't help but try to diffuse some of it...

Anyway, happy holidays :)

Really @benhs1898 ? I see the Anovos helmet as far too over textured. In fact, their first iteration of the prototype I consider far better in terms of what we see on screen AND the real world prop. Why did they switch to what they do now? You'd have to ask Got Maul who swears it's accurate but of course can't show us pictures.. Maybe just one?:$

Well anyways here are some images that seem to me show the texture is much too overstated on the Anovos.

I'll be painting one of these myself soon, so if you have any reference proving otherwise, I'd really love to see it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Anovos texture, and in fact have done paint tests to match it as best I can because I think it looks great. Film accurate? That is a totally different discussion..

As always: There is no real definitive KR helmet, so why are we having this discussion about accuracy again?

Let's have a look at these two pictures, taken under relatively good light conditions and with an acceptable resolution. Something the movie and your screens completely lack. By the way, why are we referring to the promo costume again when it isn't even screen used as far as I know?

Anyway, this helmet does apparently represent the PS on ein terms of texture. Again. Lighting can make things look very different but I'm even noticing how different the left metal cheek pattern is compared to the PS one. Inaccurate! Right? No.

IMG_0638.PNG

This shot definitely resembles the same helmet texture which Anovos is using. Looking at the top of the helmet, the darker areas look way more glossy even though the whole helmet has this very subtle pattern which can't possibly be picked up in most scenes at all. It does look perfectly fine to me. A bit different than the Anovos and PS one but then again, even the screen used ones differ greatly.
IMG_0598.JPG

As always: There is no real definitive KR helmet, so why are we having this discussion about accuracy again?
Why are we having this discussion? You quoted me... No definitive Kylo Ren helmet? I'd say the one 3D scanned and referenced by both Anovos and Propshop would be the one to call definitive if anything.

Let's have a look at these two pictures, taken under relatively good light conditions and with an acceptable resolution. Something the movie and your screens completely lack. By the way, why are we referring to the promo costume again when it isn't even screen used as far as I know?
As far as you know? Here is a tip, if you DON'T know, don't assume, ask. Here is what I was told: The helmet was pulled from the same molds, and finished by the same finishers. "Screen used" or not, it is a production helmet.

This shot definitely resembles the same helmet texture which Anovos is using... A bit different than the Anovos and PS one but then again, even the screen used ones differ greatly.

So let me get this straight. I say that I feel the Propshop has a closer finish than the Anovos, as the Anovos' finish is overstated. You quote me, post two photos proving my point, and agree with me saying yourself it "resembles" the Ren helmet but it is different.. So why are we having this discussion again?

It's interesting to me that every other post in your history is about the Anovos Kylo helmet. As I said, I love the texture. I plan to replicate it on my BB Props V3.. that being said, I hold no bias towards or against Anovos.. do you?

Merry Christmas, by the way.:D

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back