Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears...

Not to mention it was kinda racist towards Vulcans "LOL, they all look the same!"
But yeah, a whole episode about baseball? Not the best. I didn't like the one that was entirely about Vic's holographic bar being taken over. And really, what was the point of a sentient 60's lounge-singer holo-program anyway?
Holo-novels. It was a novel, or environment, with a heaping helping of nostalgia and entertainment. I think the concept grows out of gaming that is mor than just FPS and war games ... the ability to explore a time, place, cultural zeitgeist that you can interact with.

I also hate the dax worf relationship.

I 'm rewatching a little out of order, but it seemed to get NO buildup, and just kind of happened.
Watch in sequence, it was set up. I think in prior joining Dax was an ambassador to the Klingon Empire, and so was well versed in their culture. IIRC even liked and respected it.

Watch in sequence, it was set up. I think in prior joining Dax was an ambassador to the Klingon Empire, and so was well versed in their culture. IIRC even liked and respected it.

yep. That I saw. I got through seasons 1 -4 and am watching season 5 a tad out of order ;o).

From what I can tell so far, she isn't fond of worf at all. 10 episodes later, they are suddenly linked to the hip ;o).

Meanwhile, for four seasons, she started to and continued to flirt with bashire until that stopped when kira got pregnant lol.

And why was morn not given his own series?

I always wonder how he got to be such a great running gag.

there is one shot where worf throws him off his chair, and the actor inside did a great reaction shot with just his eyes and hands ;o).

And why was morn not given his own series?

I always wonder how he got to be such a great running gag.

there is one shot where worf throws him off his chair, and the actor inside did a great reaction shot with just his eyes and hands ;o).

For me, Morn was proof that at least one of the writers on the show liked/watched Cheers. He was the Norm, of the bar.

Morn was a great example of writing and acting. The actor did well, they had running gags about his "conversational" ability. This is where ST usually was way better than other TV SF ... though others have caught on and is no longer an "exclusive brand" known for that. It's recognized for "phasers," "beam me up," "transporter," etc. :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

since there really isn't a star trek appreciation thread, i'll use this one..

i've gotten up to season six again of deep space nine. after not watching it for ten years or so, it's amazing how much of it goes by so fast and it shows you how dull some of the characters on TNG really are at times, and Voyager. there is no sense of fun on those shows most of the time. and apart from the bajoran occupation episodes, this show tends to have alot of fun mixed in with the drama..

but i was watching the one where dukats daughter sadly gets offed. anyone notice how dukat said 'noooo' it kind of reminded me how kirk said it to spock? not sure if that was intentional or not....but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Neelix from Voyager. That character was the Jar Jar of Trek for me. I took far too much enjoyment from the episodes where he got his lungs stollen or hurt in some way. Also, that one episode where Tuvok lost his memory and said he just wanted to have fun. Poor Vulcan, just wanted to bake cakes and they had to ruin it by fixing his memory.

I just watched the Voyager episode "The Thaw" where they find the people in stasis being held by fear, which is a creepy clown. So while trying to solve this problem they don't go "Hmm, now who on the crew is best equipped to deal with fear...?" and send Tuvok in. Oh no that would make sense. Instead they send the Doctor.

Oh and the other thing about ST in general, with a few exceptions, is that they immediately can work alien computers. There's no "Give us a while to figure this out and we'll see what we can do." They just immediately start tapping screens and working the system.

The Jar Jar of Trek for me was Naomi Wildman. Episode after episode (even if just B-stories) about a little blond half-alien girl on the Voyager and her barging in on Seven all the time.

Did. Not. Care. Get her the hell off the screen.

"Jim Henson's Borg Babies", as I like to call them, are a close second. (Icheb, et. al.)

Oh and the other thing about ST in general, with a few exceptions, is that they immediately can work alien computers. There's no "Give us a while to figure this out and we'll see what we can do." They just immediately start tapping screens and working the system.

Yeah, that happened way too much and it was even worse when it was on Voyager and Enterprise. Hi, we're in a completely alien part of the galaxy where no one from the Federation has ever been or hi, we're still pretty new to the whole warp and interstellar travel yet when we meet a new species that no one from Federation space has ever met before we not only know how to use their computers, but we know to work on their ship's systems as well. That always bugged me to no end. In the case of Voyager, why would anything from the Delta Quadrant be the least familiar to the crew of the Voyager? Shouldn't they have developed things differently in the Delta Quadrant with the only thing in common being the core principles of warp speed and that's about it? With Enterprise, they've only barely begun to get into interstellar travel and are still pretty new to warp theory and travel yet they're able to help alien species with their warp engines.

I just watched the Voyager episode "The Thaw" where they find the people in stasis being held by fear, which is a creepy clown. So while trying to solve this problem they don't go "Hmm, now who on the crew is best equipped to deal with fear...?" and send Tuvok in. Oh no that would make sense. Instead they send the Doctor.

Just because Tuvok is a Vulcan and has control his feelings doesn't mean he doesn't have fears that the clown couldn't exploit and crank up to eleven. Anyone can repress fear, but it doesn't mean it's gone. The Doctor makes more sense because he had no concept of fear or even pain (the Doctor even says he can't "experience pain nor fear of death" in the 'Future's End' two-parter, until the main villain of that story made modifications to his program to experience it the season after the episode "The Thaw" took place). No fear and no pain means the Clown can't manipulate him using any fears he may have.

Last edited:
I thought there was more credit given for Trip and others hving to figure things out. Like Hoshi struggling with alien languages.

I liked Season 3 (the Xindi) wehre they took a whole season to figure out WTH was going on in their part of teh galaxy with the spheres and stuff. Kept me watching.

Just because Tuvok is a Vulcan and has control his feelings doesn't mean he doesn't have fears that the clown couldn't exploit and crank up to eleven. Anyone can repress fear, but it doesn't mean it's gone. The Doctor makes more sense because he had no concept of fear or even pain (the Doctor even says he can't "experience pain nor fear of death" in the 'Future's End' two-parter, until the main villain of that story made modifications to his program to experience it the season after the episode "The Thaw" took place). No fear and no pain means the Clown can't manipulate him using any fears he may have.

You make a good point. People often think that Vulcans have no emotions, which is not true, they do but they simply suppress them, not letting them affect them as Humans and other races do. So against something that exploits emotions would most definitely be able to affect a Vulcan, it just might take it a little more effort.

The Jar Jar of Trek for me was Naomi Wildman. Episode after episode (even if just B-stories) about a little blond half-alien girl on the Voyager and her barging in on Seven all the time.

Did. Not. Care. Get her the hell off the screen.

"Jim Henson's Borg Babies", as I like to call them, are a close second. (Icheb, et. al.)

despite them being kid actors,

I thoughtthe show NEEDED to do more of this to seperate itself from everything else.

by the season finale in the future, they should have picked up half a dozen new alien crew members and refugees from the delta quad.

I thought the show NEEDED to do more of this to separate itself from everything else.

by the season finale in the future, they should have picked up half a dozen new alien crew members and refugees from the delta quad.

That was always my problem with Voyager, it was too much like a TNG clone with just a bit of lip service to them being in the Delta Quadrant. Everything was too familiar, everything was too clean, everything too compatible with Federation/Starfleet tech, and there was never a real sense that they were anywhere but the Alpha Quadrant even though they weren't. We should have seen the Voyarger become more battered, more slapped on tech that was jerry rigged to fit in with Voyager's systems, and we definitely should see fewer Starfleet and Maquis crewmen and more aliens.

The Mirror Universe seems to let everyone's more base nature come to the front. In Humans this seems to lead to angry, and sadistic versions of the crew. Less repressed Vulcans are more subtly different: Spock's beard and T'Pol's hair are probably quite outrageous by Vulcan standards.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back