Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears...

Just because Tuvok is a Vulcan and has control his feelings doesn't mean he doesn't have fears that the clown couldn't exploit and crank up to eleven. Anyone can repress fear, but it doesn't mean it's gone. The Doctor makes more sense because he had no concept of fear or even pain (the Doctor even says he can't "experience pain nor fear of death" in the 'Future's End' two-parter, until the main villain of that story made modifications to his program to experience it the season after the episode "The Thaw" took place). No fear and no pain means the Clown can't manipulate him using any fears he may have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that, I meant that he was best equipped to deal with his fear. Yeah the Doctor made sense as well, but I think it would have been interesting just from a story perspective to have put Tuvok in that role.

I know that, I meant that he was best equipped to deal with his fear. Yeah the Doctor made sense as well, but I think it would have been interesting just from a story perspective to have put Tuvok in that role.

But I have a question about that idea: if they had sent in Tuvok instead of the Doctor back then, wouldn't you be here now complaining about them sending Tuvok in instead of the Doctor because of the fact he has zero fear for the Clown to exploit?

But I have a question about that idea: if they had sent in Tuvok instead of the Doctor back then, wouldn't you be here now complaining about them sending Tuvok in instead of the Doctor because of the fact he has zero fear for the Clown to exploit?

Yes. Probably. :lol

The biggest thing about Trek that is problematic for me is.... the transporter technology. I can accept that, in the future, this tech exists, but the various tech films and series have made it SO POWERFUL that there should never be any reason for anyone to die from any illness. Ever.

For Example: Hey, Dr. Pulaski has some rare fast aging disease. Know what? Let's get a sample of her DNA from a hair in her hairbrush, run it through the transporter buffers to filter out the disease and re-materialize her at her correct age.

For that matter, based on what transporter technology can and has been shown to do, you would never need an operation. Have appendicitis? Just jump in the transporter, and we can "beam out" your infected appendix... or lung cancer, or melanoma, or brain tumor, or whatever.

And don't get me started on how crazy Voyage went with it's transporter holodeck technology, making Torres pregnant while stuck on the holodeck in Nazi Germany, no less....

Those are huge problems with the transporter, but if you ignore two episodes of TNG and one Voyager, most of that goes away, and it's back to its TOS basics.

I forgot what series or what episode, but I remember one where some crew were on a shuttle that was in jeopardy. I thought "Why don't they just beam the shuttle to the hangar?" I don't know if that's too large or what, but you'd think they could do that.

As for surgery, I would guess that the transporters aren't precise enough to do that. I may be wrong. One inconsistency in ST is when a crew member is injured and they call for a medic. Why don't they just do a site to site transport in the ship and beam them right to the medbay? That would be easier than waiting for a doctor to navigate the ship to get there.

I saw that Voyager episode "Dreadnought" where they encounter a Cardassian missile that B'Elanna reprogrammed in the regular galaxy. The missile AI is confused and doesn't believe it's in the Delta Quadrant and thinks a planet is the Maquis target. This bugs me because the ST ships sensors can take star readings and tell when and where they are at. In the Voyager episode where they go back to 1996, I think they do exactly that. You could take an 18th century ship and plunk it down on a planet in the Delta quadrant and they will immediately figure out they aren't in the Atlantic ocean anymore. Somehow this advanced Cardassian missile couldn't. That's what really bugs me about ST is that they completely forget their ship's abilities between episodes. They will do one thing in one episode, but the ship can't do it in another. Also a lazy writer.

I just binge watched Voyager and so many problems that you did not notice if you were watching one episode per week followed by eight months of nothing.
- The holodeck. This was more of a problem on TNG, but that thing was a crutch. It's like the writers were sitting there and couldn't think of anything to write about for the next episode. Then someone said, "well, we can have another malfunction or romance in the holodeck."
- Continuity. There was an episode were some alien was warping the space around Voyager. When it was finally done someone said there was now a lot of extra data about the area of space they were in. An episode or two later and it was like that data disappeared.
- Radiation. Someone told the writer who suggested the holodeck malfunction or romance that they had already done two of those episodes that season. Someone else then said, "what about some sort of radiation?". Seriously, they had one episode late in the series about "antimatter radiation". WTF is that?
- Shuttles. How many did that ship have? They crashed a lot of them and they always seem to have more.
- Brannon Braga.
- Badges. Did Roddenberry ever explain why the TOS Enterprise service patch shape became the Star Fleet logo? I have not seen it yet, but it seems like everything on the new Discovery has the logo on it. I expect that includes those paper things you can put on public toilet seats.

Badges. Did Roddenberry ever explain why the TOS Enterprise service patch shape became the Star Fleet logo? I have not seen it yet, but it seems like everything on the new Discovery has the logo on it. I expect that includes those paper things you can put on public toilet seats.

I don't know if this has ever really been explained. I think back in the 80s I read some sort of Movie era tech manual (maybe something else) and it said that the Enterprises's 5 year mission was so successful, Starfleet adopted the logo for the organization. Not sure that was a conscious decision for the designers when they started making movies or not.

I can't remember if it stayed true for Enterprise. I think the logo for Starfleet had a weird Delta but not identical (correct me if I am wrong). Sort of like you could see how some of the different ship logos derived from it. so things seemed to be ok.

The new movies totally blew that theory out of the water. They either forgot or did not care. It would seem Discovery is adopting that the movie's use of the logo.

The only thing that makes any somewhat sense is that the delta had a history prior to TOS era and that for some reason, while every other ship got unique logos, the enterprise was honored to utilize the Star fleet logo.

I'd love to know if there is something out there to explain it.

Regarding the Starfleet Delta logo, I remember that explanation also: that Starfleet adopted it after Enterprise's Five Year Mission because it was so succesful and the stuff of legends. I read it in a german fanzine, but it is totally possible that it was a translated excerpt from a tech manual.

Same goes for the 'history' of the Delta - triangle, there was one of the older ST novels ('Federation' maybe, not entirely sure...) where the form of it is explained as sort of Zefram Cochranes diagram which visually displays the amount of antimatter input and it's effect of building a warp bubble... Seriously, I'm not making this up! *lol* I remember the context of this explanation in the book was about why you cannot build a warp bomb. Anyone else remember this from the novel?

Once can find on-screen defense of the delta being Enterprise-only, and also it being not.

It was on a guy watching Vena dance in The Menagerie, although since it's an illusion it could be explained away. Or for all we know he was from Enterprise.

It was on a couple of guys at the bar in Court Martial....harder to explain that one (canon-wise....production-wise, it makes sense not to invent a new starship patch for such a quickie couple of shots).

And it's on a dead guy on a sickbay bed on the Defiant. However: every other dead body on the Defiant is carefully arranged so that the patch is away from camera or otherwise covered. I think that's an indication that the intent was not to reveal the patches because ones for Defiant had not been made.

It is clear that the intention on the stage, while not 100% consistently carried out, was that the delta was for Enterprise and Enterprise alone.

Despite a Bob Justman memo that surfaced fairly recently telling them to knock it off. They didn't. What Justman wanted and what production followed through with are two different things.

- Continuity. There was an episode were some alien was warping the space around Voyager. When it was finally done someone said there was now a lot of extra data about the area of space they were in. An episode or two later and it was like that data disappeared.

Yes this! There were several episodes where they got new data, but they never really told the audience that it got them any further. They did this with tech as well because in one episode they get a transwarp doohickey and install it in the ship (I think to chase a Borg ship and retrieve Seven?), and at the end of the episode they say something like it got the X years closer to Earth before it burned out.

That's the trap with a show like this. You can't really give the crew any really great thing to help them because if you keep doing that they can't keep making episodes because they get home too quickly. So we would see them say something got them closer to home, but the audience doesn't feel like it went anywhere because they are still so far away.

As far as the shuttles, could they replicate a whole shuttle? I guess they could part it out and do smaller pieces to build one. They also had that ship docked under the saucer they never used.

I probably missed the dead guys. I just remember the various people with obvious different patches.
942f1d65049577881446ff2e20664514c58d52be.jpg
200px-robert_wesley_2268.jpg
b7a8230d47a8351ed87b4336bc9a78ac3ed36afb.jpg

The best theory I've seen is that the ship patches are for the various fleets within Starfleet. There were ten as of DS9 -- this possibly goes back to the Founding of the Federation or earlier. The old model was that there was a negotiated "exploration zone" around the core Federation systems, roughly spherical (minus chunks taken out for impassible space or foreign nations), divided into quadrants, with a fifth "quadrant" of similar size around actual Federation space. All divided along the galactic plane into "North" and "South" subquadrants. Ten total subquadrants, ten fleets. Works as good as anything.

So the familiar Enterprise delta is for the First Fleet. This is potentially the subset of ships operating out of Starbase 11, designated as Enterprise's command base in TOS, and would explain why we saw other non-Enterprise personnel there with the same insignia. Part of their mission was described as border patrol, which implies poking around toward the fringe of known space and on the edge of the designated unknown Exploration Zones, and they would likely run into vessels from other fleets in adjoining subquadrants (Antares, Constellation, and Exeter patches). The Starfleet Command badges are a non-fleet-specific badge for flag officers -- i.e., it is not indicative of what the rest of the crew was wearing on the ship Commodore Wesley was commanding in "The Ultimate Computer".

As I pointed out over in the Discovery thread, this was the insignia of Starfleet as a whole at the time:

Court_martial_starfleet_pennant.jpg

36704138273_ebd6dae6c6_b.jpg

As of TMP this was just ending with the uniform change. Starfleet ships all now had the delta-symbol, but stations hadn't caught on to that yet (the Starfleet communications relay station Epsilon IX had a very non-delta insignia patch for its personnel). Reason I know this isn't an indicator of the whole fleet-insignia thing is that Kirk was the head of Starfleet Operations -- not just for the First Fleet -- and he had the delta. I think it was just part of a general transition/streamlining going on at the time, and nothing to do with the Enterprise specifically. Other fandom sources from the '80s went further to say that Kirk's ship was the only Constitution class ship to return from its Five Year Mission. Which is stupid on many levels and contradicted by the canon.

--Jonah

What ever happened with that TNG episode where they said warp drive was destroying space and they were going to put a speed limit on warp drive?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back