Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. KrangPrime is offline KrangPrime
    May 18, 2017, 5:19 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #176

Treadwell said: View Post
    Agreed. Fontaine was an interesting character for a one-shot, but recurring? And the focus of episodes? No.
    you people have no sense of fun ;o)

I liked the fontaine character for more than one short guest shot. the takeover episode was just a fun diversion.

as was the baseball episode. i hate sports and i liked that episode just to see them out of their element
    From
    Annapolis MD
    May 18, 2017, 6:44 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #177

What?! Haters of the baseball episode?! Baseball was a love of Sisko's. For me it just made sense to have at least one episode about it. Besides, you had some great things happen in that episode. Obrian infusing gum with scotch, Worf's classic "Death to the opposition", and "Find him and kill him" lines.

You want to talk about grinding gears...all the holo deck malfunction episodes across multiple shows. That got old for me.
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    May 21, 2017, 1:35 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #178

I didn't like the really bland Federation anthem in "Take Me Out to the Holosuite", and generally I don't like the TNG+ Vulcan haircuts (same as I hate the TNG-era Romulan foreheads). Why could they not find the same hairdressers that did such a good job on the Vulcans and Romulans in TOS and the films?

I like Vic, but agree he got a little overused at points. Agree about the malfunctioning holosuite stories. But I like Exri. I like her arc, I like how she didn't want to be joined and was learning to deal with it. I like how the joining changed her and she found a new track that neither Ezri on her own nor Jadzia Dax had been following. I like how she found closure with those elements of her prior life -- some differences, some things the same... I also like where her story goes in the Relaunch novels following the series finale.

The whole O'Brien thing is probably one of my biggest gear-grinders. *sigh* He was an officer up until Ron Moore couldn't tell the difference between rank and position. We definitely needed enlisted insignia in TNG and DS9, so getting that was a good thing -- but it shouldn't have been O'Brien. *grump*

--Jonah
  4. KrangPrime is offline KrangPrime
    May 21, 2017, 8:34 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #179

I also hate the dax worf relationship.

I 'm rewatching a little out of order, but it seemed to get NO buildup, and just kind of happened.

I can't help but wonder if Bashir and Dax got canned, because nana visitor and him started dating/got married ?

it made much more sense for the doctor and dax to get together. they fit together better.
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    May 21, 2017, 9:47 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #180

It was already established that Dax had a fondness for Klingons so I thought it made perfect sense, and it was a great way to shake things up and be different which was why I loved this show so much.
    May 21, 2017, 11:53 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #181

Angelus Lupus said: View Post
    Not to mention it was kinda racist towards Vulcans "LOL, they all look the same!"
    But yeah, a whole episode about baseball? Not the best. I didn't like the one that was entirely about Vic's holographic bar being taken over. And really, what was the point of a sentient 60's lounge-singer holo-program anyway?
    Holo-novels. It was a novel, or environment, with a heaping helping of nostalgia and entertainment. I think the concept grows out of gaming that is mor than just FPS and war games ... the ability to explore a time, place, cultural zeitgeist that you can interact with.
    May 21, 2017, 11:57 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #182

KrangPrime said: View Post
    I also hate the dax worf relationship.

I 'm rewatching a little out of order, but it seemed to get NO buildup, and just kind of happened.
    Watch in sequence, it was set up. I think in prior joining Dax was an ambassador to the Klingon Empire, and so was well versed in their culture. IIRC even liked and respected it.
  8. KrangPrime is offline KrangPrime
    May 21, 2017, 12:20 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #183

KojiroVance said: View Post
    Watch in sequence, it was set up. I think in prior joining Dax was an ambassador to the Klingon Empire, and so was well versed in their culture. IIRC even liked and respected it.
    yep. That I saw. I got through seasons 1 -4 and am watching season 5 a tad out of order ;o).

From what I can tell so far, she isn't fond of worf at all. 10 episodes later, they are suddenly linked to the hip ;o).

Meanwhile, for four seasons, she started to and continued to flirt with bashire until that stopped when kira got pregnant lol.
  9. KrangPrime is offline KrangPrime
    May 21, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #184

And why was morn not given his own series?

I always wonder how he got to be such a great running gag.

there is one shot where worf throws him off his chair, and the actor inside did a great reaction shot with just his eyes and hands ;o).
    From
    Annapolis MD
    May 21, 2017, 2:00 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #185

And why was morn not given his own series?

I always wonder how he got to be such a great running gag.

there is one shot where worf throws him off his chair, and the actor inside did a great reaction shot with just his eyes and hands ;o).
    For me, Morn was proof that at least one of the writers on the show liked/watched Cheers. He was the Norm, of the bar.
    May 21, 2017, 2:18 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #186

Morn was a great example of writing and acting. The actor did well, they had running gags about his "conversational" ability. This is where ST usually was way better than other TV SF ... though others have caught on and is no longer an "exclusive brand" known for that. It's recognized for "phasers," "beam me up," "transporter," etc. :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. KrangPrime is offline KrangPrime
    Jun 2, 2017, 10:10 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #187

since there really isn't a star trek appreciation thread, i'll use this one..

i've gotten up to season six again of deep space nine. after not watching it for ten years or so, it's amazing how much of it goes by so fast and it shows you how dull some of the characters on TNG really are at times, and Voyager. there is no sense of fun on those shows most of the time. and apart from the bajoran occupation episodes, this show tends to have alot of fun mixed in with the drama..

but i was watching the one where dukats daughter sadly gets offed. anyone notice how dukat said 'noooo' it kind of reminded me how kirk said it to spock? not sure if that was intentional or not....but it was the first thing that came to mind.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Jun 5, 2017, 7:12 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #188

Neelix from Voyager. That character was the Jar Jar of Trek for me. I took far too much enjoyment from the episodes where he got his lungs stollen or hurt in some way. Also, that one episode where Tuvok lost his memory and said he just wanted to have fun. Poor Vulcan, just wanted to bake cakes and they had to ruin it by fixing his memory.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Jun 5, 2017, 7:25 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #189

I just watched the Voyager episode "The Thaw" where they find the people in stasis being held by fear, which is a creepy clown. So while trying to solve this problem they don't go "Hmm, now who on the crew is best equipped to deal with fear...?" and send Tuvok in. Oh no that would make sense. Instead they send the Doctor.

Oh and the other thing about ST in general, with a few exceptions, is that they immediately can work alien computers. There's no "Give us a while to figure this out and we'll see what we can do." They just immediately start tapping screens and working the system.
    Jun 5, 2017, 7:51 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #190

The Jar Jar of Trek for me was Naomi Wildman. Episode after episode (even if just B-stories) about a little blond half-alien girl on the Voyager and her barging in on Seven all the time.

Did. Not. Care. Get her the hell off the screen.

"Jim Henson's Borg Babies", as I like to call them, are a close second. (Icheb, et. al.)
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 5, 2017, 8:50 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #191

Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    Oh and the other thing about ST in general, with a few exceptions, is that they immediately can work alien computers. There's no "Give us a while to figure this out and we'll see what we can do." They just immediately start tapping screens and working the system.
    Yeah, that happened way too much and it was even worse when it was on Voyager and Enterprise. Hi, we're in a completely alien part of the galaxy where no one from the Federation has ever been or hi, we're still pretty new to the whole warp and interstellar travel yet when we meet a new species that no one from Federation space has ever met before we not only know how to use their computers, but we know to work on their ship's systems as well. That always bugged me to no end. In the case of Voyager, why would anything from the Delta Quadrant be the least familiar to the crew of the Voyager? Shouldn't they have developed things differently in the Delta Quadrant with the only thing in common being the core principles of warp speed and that's about it? With Enterprise, they've only barely begun to get into interstellar travel and are still pretty new to warp theory and travel yet they're able to help alien species with their warp engines.
    From
    Madison, Florida
    Jun 5, 2017, 9:46 PM - Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #192

Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    I just watched the Voyager episode "The Thaw" where they find the people in stasis being held by fear, which is a creepy clown. So while trying to solve this problem they don't go "Hmm, now who on the crew is best equipped to deal with fear...?" and send Tuvok in. Oh no that would make sense. Instead they send the Doctor.
    Just because Tuvok is a Vulcan and has control his feelings doesn't mean he doesn't have fears that the clown couldn't exploit and crank up to eleven. Anyone can repress fear, but it doesn't mean it's gone. The Doctor makes more sense because he had no concept of fear or even pain (the Doctor even says he can't "experience pain nor fear of death" in the 'Future's End' two-parter, until the main villain of that story made modifications to his program to experience it the season after the episode "The Thaw" took place). No fear and no pain means the Clown can't manipulate him using any fears he may have.

Last edited by CB2001; Jun 5, 2017 at 9:55 PM.
    Jun 5, 2017, 11:17 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #193

I thought there was more credit given for Trip and others hving to figure things out. Like Hoshi struggling with alien languages.

I liked Season 3 (the Xindi) wehre they took a whole season to figure out WTH was going on in their part of teh galaxy with the spheres and stuff. Kept me watching.

From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 6, 2017, 11:48 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #194

CB2001 said: View Post
    Just because Tuvok is a Vulcan and has control his feelings doesn't mean he doesn't have fears that the clown couldn't exploit and crank up to eleven. Anyone can repress fear, but it doesn't mean it's gone. The Doctor makes more sense because he had no concept of fear or even pain (the Doctor even says he can't "experience pain nor fear of death" in the 'Future's End' two-parter, until the main villain of that story made modifications to his program to experience it the season after the episode "The Thaw" took place). No fear and no pain means the Clown can't manipulate him using any fears he may have.

You make a good point. People often think that Vulcans have no emotions, which is not true, they do but they simply suppress them, not letting them affect them as Humans and other races do. So against something that exploits emotions would most definitely be able to affect a Vulcan, it just might take it a little more effort.
  20. KrangPrime is offline KrangPrime
    Jun 6, 2017, 11:53 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #195

Treadwell said: View Post
    The Jar Jar of Trek for me was Naomi Wildman. Episode after episode (even if just B-stories) about a little blond half-alien girl on the Voyager and her barging in on Seven all the time.

Did. Not. Care. Get her the hell off the screen.

"Jim Henson's Borg Babies", as I like to call them, are a close second. (Icheb, et. al.)
    despite them being kid actors,

I thoughtthe show NEEDED to do more of this to seperate itself from everything else.

by the season finale in the future, they should have picked up half a dozen new alien crew members and refugees from the delta quad.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jun 6, 2017, 12:04 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #196

I thought the show NEEDED to do more of this to separate itself from everything else.

by the season finale in the future, they should have picked up half a dozen new alien crew members and refugees from the delta quad.
    That was always my problem with Voyager, it was too much like a TNG clone with just a bit of lip service to them being in the Delta Quadrant. Everything was too familiar, everything was too clean, everything too compatible with Federation/Starfleet tech, and there was never a real sense that they were anywhere but the Alpha Quadrant even though they weren't. We should have seen the Voyarger become more battered, more slapped on tech that was jerry rigged to fit in with Voyager's systems, and we definitely should see fewer Starfleet and Maquis crewmen and more aliens.
  22. RPF Premium Member The Mad Professor's Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Jun 6, 2017, 12:14 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #197

Why does Prime Universe T'Pol have short dark hair while her Mirror Universe counterpart has long blonde hair?
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    Jun 6, 2017, 12:33 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #198

The Mad Professor said: View Post
    Why does Prime Universe T'Pol have short dark hair while her Mirror Universe counterpart has long blonde hair?
    Vulcans were severely persecuted and even enslaved in the Mirror Universe, maybe she was trying to look less Vulcan.
  24. RPF Premium Member The Mad Professor's Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Jun 6, 2017, 12:55 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #199

robn1 said: View Post
    Vulcans were severely persecuted and even enslaved in the Mirror Universe, maybe she was trying to look less Vulcan.
    Or maybe her Prime Universe self was trying to look MORE Vulcan.
    From
    Kent, UK
    Jun 6, 2017, 6:20 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #200

The Mirror Universe seems to let everyone's more base nature come to the front. In Humans this seems to lead to angry, and sadistic versions of the crew. Less repressed Vulcans are more subtly different: Spock's beard and T'Pol's hair are probably quite outrageous by Vulcan standards.