Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears...

I remember talk of a new trek series that took place AFTER the TNG era. It seems similar to Andromeda but took place hundreds of years later and the Federation had fallen and there was another Enterprise that was a generational ship....

We need to get back into the PRIME universe but continue the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember talk of a new trek series that took place AFTER the TNG era. It seems similar to Andromeda but took place hundreds of years later and the Federation had fallen and there was another Enterprise that was a generational ship....

We need to get back into the PRIME universe but continue the story.

Absolutely prime universe again for TV.
Also yeah, it's occured to me as well, what is the next step beyond what TNG was already doing?
A generational ship, that is simply NOT coming home again. A true TREK to the stars.

Also, I have often thought why not an animated series again?
One idea I had was not to neccesarily travel with one crew all the time.
Rather to hop from one story to the next following how one ship might interact with another.

So you could be on the USS FED ship, it encounters a Klingon ship or what have you.
You the viewer, gets dropped off there so to speak, And you can experience another crew, star base, science expedition, pirates, alien culture, whatever. Eventually
to find yourself back to the FED ship again. I think this would work for animated over live action though.

The only thing about Trek that always irks me is the divergent technology they seem to command. Sometimes their tech prowess seems excessive relative to other tech in the show. The holodeck and Data jump to mind.

The only thing about Trek that always irks me is the divergent technology they seem to command. Sometimes their tech prowess seems excessive relative to other tech in the show. The holodeck and Data jump to mind.

They clearly never could master a simple uniform that didn't need the Picard maneuver shirt tug every time he stood up.

Or how their shield strength always seems to increase the more damage they take, at 100% each hit from an enemy weapon knocks it down a few percent but as it gets closer to 0 these same hits do maybe 1% damage.

Here's one: "to seek out new life and new civilizations.."

....yeh but nearly every civilization they encounter turns out to have evil secrets..... So basically the whole galaxy is a buncha A holes....

If you rewatch the Enterprise episodes about the Terran Prime people.... They sorta have a point.... All that "seeking out" just brought on a lot of wars

That's what I love about The Corbomite Maneuver episode, it's opposite of all that. The encounter this terrifying looking alien, threatening them with destruction, a vessel so huge it dwarfs the Enterprise. Crew are freaking out. Drama, tension, action. Not chess Mr. Spock, poker! Kirk talks to the crew, reminds them there are no unknowns, just things temporarily not understood, to press on.
And we see this wonderful twist ending that there was nothing to fear, and befriend a new alien race. I love hearing Baloks last words in that episode... "Yes, we're very much alike, Captain. Both proud of our ships ..." cue in the Trek theme.

It is a perfect Trek episode for me.

Ok so let's talk about Data:

He is artificial intelligence
He basically makes every computer obsolete.
Why does he have to type ? Why not Bluetooth ?

Ok so let's talk about Data:

He is artificial intelligence
He basically makes every computer obsolete.
Why does he have to type ? Why not Bluetooth ?

Perhaps Dr. Soong wanted to not go quite that far with him or provide a path back that could be a security issue.

If Data just walked around, ****** his head, and the computer changed, it would probably tend to weird people out. I don't think Data would even want that since he wants to be more human. I mean he did stop and cock his head while processing things, but wifi would just make it more weird. :lol I assume since they had pads that maybe they have some wifi capability so maybe Data has some low level ability, but not to access to major ship systems.

How about these phasers? These things look like a tv remote or a small dustbuster and they have no aiming sites. Just point and shoot! The damn thing just automatically figures out who you are gunning for and goes straight to them! Freakin' amazing!! These guys shoot from the hip more than an old timey cowboy!

How about these phasers? These things look like a tv remote or a small dustbuster and they have no aiming sites. Just point and shoot! the damn thing just automatically figures out who you are gunning for and goes srtraight to them! Freakin' amazing!! These guys shoot from the hip more than an old timey cowboy!

They did try with the TOS phaser rising sight. But it was never depicted as being used as such and everything since they just ditched it.
I guess we can pretend it has some kind of eye position detection and just hits what you look at.

Well they showed in a few episodes that they had a "shooting range" with moving targets. So I guess everyone practiced..... Even Guinan

How about these phasers? These things look like a tv remote or a small dustbuster and they have no aiming sites. Just point and shoot! The damn thing just automatically figures out who you are gunning for and goes straight to them! Freakin' amazing!! These guys shoot from the hip more than an old timey cowboy!

Maybe there was something on the back or top that we couldn't see onscreen that served as an aiming aid in lieu of sights. It's possible that triggers on the phasers are 2 stage triggers where the first pull/push sends an invisible aiming laser/phaser beam that tells the phaser if you're "locked" on target or not by means of lights or a tone. Definitely well in the realm of possibility given that modern digital cameras can tell if it's in focus or not and, in some cases, tell if it's looking at person's face or not.

Watching Enterprise. The bridge crew (especially Trip and Mayweather) just jump in, interrupt Archer and yell at people on the view screen. WTF Jonathan? Try that under Picard and you'll be busted down to bus boy in ten forward at a speed of warp 10.

As as for Data and the bluetooth, I think the entire point was that he was built to be an android and to operate as much like a human as possible. Computer engineers don't design emotion chips for when their machines are ready for them. Am I right? Data and Soong always had an air of Pinocchio and Gepetto (sp.) to me. Soong wanted data to be a real boy so to speak.

@Jeyl fair enough.

Here's another one. Why do all star ship designers build their consoles out of the most explosive stuff they can find?

One of the things that grind my gears. It's the early 21st century and we have fuses. Don't know when exactly they were invented but I'd assume early 20th century.
And they don't use anything like this in the Star Fleet starships ? In fact, they don't even try to fix it, they just accept it. Direct hit, shields down to 20% and boom! another crew man got the Freddy Kruger face. And they just accept it and assign nameless crewman after crewman to potential death duty. Throughout the entire series ! That's simply barbaric.

Another thing is the security personal. Probably the most useless bunch on the ship but not useless enough for bridge console duty it appears. You'd assume them to have at least basic training for such scenarios like "close quarter combat on a star ship". But in the episode with the 2 klingons breaking havoc on the enterprise with their hidden disruptor pistol it appears the best tactics the security personal has is to crouch in the middle of the corridor. Who needs cover, I'm starfleeaaaagh ...

Last but not least: The food. Noone eats pizza or a steak or drink orange juice. Everyone consumes fancy alien food and drinks like klingon coffee, romulan ale, andorian backed space-beans, talaxian vomit-stew. I mean, there's people on earth who can't eat certain earth food because of allergies and the future-folks can simply eat anything from every planet in the galaxy ?

On a new tv series: Contemporary, successful TV series are far away from TNG. Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead. They're dark, they're gritty, strong character development, mature topics. I want to see a series like this set in the Klingon Empire facing a new civil war. Star Trek has designed this race of brutal, fearless warriors with their strong honor codex, the high council as government, rich lore and religion like Khaless etc. and even developed a new language and they simply don't use all this. I'm not saying no more starfleet, just try to give viewers something new instead of the new lousy starship that feels like somehting you've already seen 4 times.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back