Trek Movie Comm's Under Construction

That looks nice. It was a really hard decision NOT to purchase the Generations Comm, but in the end I wanted to Star Trek III & V Comms more. We are going to use the resin mid-plates for now and replace them with the brass ones when they are available.

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but there is just enough from for the Hallmark ornament electronics. Thanks again for a killer kit!
IMG_3851.jpg

It was very low tech and hacky - I'm using the antenna as a conductor. The current isn't powering anything, it just needs to be enough to trip the controller. The copper tape on the mid plate acts as conductive rails, and then I'm using more copper tape on one side to provide current to the axle, and a solid 26 gauge wire on the other side as conductor along the top of the stop bar. It's not noticeable, since the top shell covers 80% of it, but it's definitely not a flawless solution.

IMG_3929.jpgIMG_3930.jpg

Seems to work pretty well, though I opted to have the light flash like the ornament versus leaving it on when the lid is open, which would have been easy enough.

http://minion-a.com/Stuff/trekcomm.mp4

Very interesting and good to see you were able to use the lights too. Your STV Comm came out looking very nice.

Thanks

What color is everyone using for the V Comm bodies? I tried a black metallic that looked perfect from the spray can cap but not good on the Comm body at all.

I just added a little silver to the black for mine, but I am not sure if you are using spray paint.

What color is everyone using for the V Comm bodies? I tried a black metallic that looked perfect from the spray can cap but not good on the Comm body at all.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up painting it black just like the threes and then did a lite mist of gunmetal gray over it. It think it came out looking pretty close.

I was trying to match these pics.

ST5Coms2.jpgtopworkingCom.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
They look really nice. I also like the way the mid-plate came out on the STIII version.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these look when finished.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back