Trek Movie Comm's Under Construction

Got my Trek V kit in today. I've had a lot of kits over the years, and these match the Tomenosuke Blade Runner blaster kits in quality. Absolutely top shelf and ready to wash and paint (and the buttons are cast in pieces, so they can be made functional if that's what you're into).

I have a couple of Myron's kits and they are top notch. My Trek III & V kits should arrive tomorrow and the grills and mid-plates should arrive next week. I can't wait to see what these look like when complete.

Got my Trek V kit in today. I've had a lot of kits over the years, and these match the Tomenosuke Blade Runner blaster kits in quality. Absolutely top shelf and ready to wash and paint (and the buttons are cast in pieces, so they can be made functional if that's what you're into).
Thanks. I try to make them like I want to see them. Things like the buttons are not that much harder to cast in pieces, but are a lot easier to cleanup, and paint. Makes for a cleaner build.

I received my kits today and they are absolutely beautiful, which is not surprising considering who made them. The Trek V Comm has been one of my holy grail pieces for years and now I'm one step closer to getting it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good reference photos of how the Star Trek V Comm should look? The only ones I've ever seen are the ones on Richard Coyles site and it is very hard to make out what color it should be finished in. It looks like a dark grey. I also noticed that in a couple of the pictures you can just make out what appears to be a painted over mid-plate.

Someone else can correct me, but that seems to be the best resource. I'm also in the camp that thinks the Vs had mid plates. At least some of them. I've heard that they were "recessed", but that's clearly not the case. You can see that there's a spacer, and you can see that it extends beyond the bottom shell. (this is definitely a five, it's special because it had the extra parts added to the grill).

GrilSide_sm.jpg

I've been debating between using gunmetal with a black overspray versus flat black with a gloss coat all week. Still haven't decided. It definitely looks different than the flat black control insert.

com_grills.jpg

Another shot where there's clearly a larger-than-the-shells mid plate. if they used a type of foil for the mid plate on the IIIs, it might make sense that the reworked fives just left it off. I ordered one of the brass mid plates and will be painting it to match the shells.

Does anyone have any good reference photos of how the Star Trek V Comm should look? The only ones I've ever seen are the ones on Richard Coyles site and it is very hard to make out what color it should be finished in. It looks like a dark grey. I also noticed that in a couple of the pictures you can just make out what appears to be a painted over mid-plate.

That is about as good as it gets. It looks to me as if the bucket is Black, and the Shells are a dark grey with a metallic mist. Not a lot of good reference for that one.

I have wanted one of these for YEARS, but I'm having to wait a few more days to get one... I HATE unexpected bills! Eventually I'll end up getting an ST-V, but the first one will be the ST-III... Myron, you WILL be getting my money before the week is out! :)

Thanks Jackob and Myron. Other than replica's those appear to be the best shots of screen used pieces and they were also the reason I thought that at least one of them had a mid-plate on it. I have also ordered the brass mid-plates from FLM Concepts and what to try painting them the same color as the body and see how it looks. I also like the extra bit of weight they will give the Comm.

These are body kits only.

Trek III comm with aluminum grill, and lid pin.

Trek V comm with clear lighting block, Replica Greyhill buttons, and lid pin.

Comm made for Star Trek Generations with smoked acrylic screen, and lid pin.

I'm trying to figure out how I would get the antenna soldered before I get one. I've always wanted a STIII phaser
and communicator.

I never, ever knew that there was a flip-grid communicator developed for Star Trek Generations. It seems like it could be a really interesting design. What is it supposed to look like when it's done?

I am waiting to see if we get brass midplates before I finish my comms, and I need a few more lids. While I can't post the photo I have of the real one because it is not my photo. Here is what I have so far. This covers the colors accept I haven't painted the brass mid, and the circular indent on the control panel will be black.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back