My 13 Vintage Star Wars Figures with Repro 12 Back Cards

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know there's been a lot of debate about recards, both positive and negative, but I've been wanting to do this for quite some time. I'm so glad I did; seeing these like this has once again brought out my inner child. The cards are reproduction, but all my figures are originals. My wife said it was funny watching me work on these, with me grinning ear to ear and my legs swinging under the bar stool. The cards are very well done, look vintage but don't have that pixelated home printer feel. This was my first attempt at doing these, but I think they came out great. I only plan on doing these original first 12, plus Boba.

These figures are older than my wife, and my kids are only a few years older now than I was when they first came out. I was 4 years old when these figures hit the stores, and seeing them again in these packages brings out fond memories of Christmas and Birthdays from a distant past.

Despite your feelings on recards, these are labeled on the back as reproductions and are not intended for resale. These are for my Star Wars theater room, where I can smile and reminisce every time I see them.

IMG_2897-600x400.jpg

IMG_2898-400x600.jpg

IMG_2899-400x600.jpg

IMG_2908-400x600.jpg

IMG_2907-400x600.jpg

230-400x600.jpg

IMG_2911-400x600.jpg

IMG_2913-400x600.jpg

IMG_2912-400x600.jpg

IMG_2910-400x600.jpg

Last edited:
I think those look great, especially for personal display.

I've been wanting to do the same thing but using a photo of myself wearing my Obi-Wan and Darth Vader costumes as the card photo so I can make action figures of myself.

Is there a place where you downloaded the card art? Or did you make them yourself?

I only found one website that offered the images, but they weren't accepting memberships so I just searched and found Beggars Canyon Toys, that's where I got mine. Overall I am very pleased.

They look really good man. I have been considering doing the same thing and recarding just the first twelve. I think it's a nice way to get a carded set to display for a few hundred quid, instead of 12 grand! I've got a fairly substantial loose and carded collection, would have to buy a couple more duplicates. I have always stayed away from recards and repros of anything but I would like to see the first 12 carded on the wall. There is a guy in Spain sells them and they look like nice quality. What are your cards like? Are they accurate, are the bubbles accurate? I have mixed feelings about it but I must admit they do look good - nice work.

Stay well away from "costablancastarwars" (if that's what he still calls himself on ebay). I got a set from him and they were AWFUL. Luckily, I found Beggars Canyon Toys too and got my set of SW & ESB cards from them. They are MUCH nicer quality and I would recommend them to anyone. I didn't even re-card my figures, I just wanted to have a good set of unused cards that I can flick through every now and then to rekindle childhood memories.

GREAT work on your recards azheat01

They look really good man. I have been considering doing the same thing and recarding just the first twelve. I think it's a nice way to get a carded set to display for a few hundred quid, instead of 12 grand! I've got a fairly substantial loose and carded collection, would have to buy a couple more duplicates. I have always stayed away from recards and repros of anything but I would like to see the first 12 carded on the wall. There is a guy in Spain sells them and they look like nice quality. What are your cards like? Are they accurate, are the bubbles accurate? I have mixed feelings about it but I must admit they do look good - nice work.

Very cool. I am doing the original 12, but bought the more detailed later releases. I am not into the packaging, yet yours is very well done. The only "original" figures I have is Princess Liea and a Stormtrooper from 1977 and I have a 1980 Yoda (orange snake). For some reason, I also have a Dewback from 1978.

What are your cards like? Are they accurate, are the bubbles accurate? I have mixed feelings about it but I must admit they do look good - nice work.

I don't really know the process they use, but the cards are nice and rigid, seems close to what I remember of the originals, maybe a bit heavier. I'm not an expert on cards or bubbles, so I can't offer any input on accuracy. I love how they turned out. For me, it was just about seeing these as I remembered them as a kid, so I wasn't looking for a prefect reproduction. I think they are perfect for display.

GREAT work on your recards azheat01

Thanks! I can see this getting out of hand if you wanted to do more. I just wanted to do the first 12, kind of where it all started. I have some other vintage figures, just not sure if I want to keep going. I may do a few select more of my favorites. I just gotta find some acrylic cases that won't break the bank and then display these in my Detolf cases!

Beggars Canyon Toys actually molded the correct, original bubbles to make their versions. Lots of other people offer generic bubbles which aren't the correct size but all of these ones are accurate for every single figure. Very cool!

I don't really know the process they use, but the cards are nice and rigid, seems close to what I remember of the originals, maybe a bit heavier. I'm not an expert on cards or bubbles, so I can't offer any input on accuracy. I love how they turned out. For me, it was just about seeing these as I remembered them as a kid, so I wasn't looking for a prefect reproduction. I think they are perfect for display.

What do you attach the bubbles to the cards with?

Although I was skeptical at first, I used permanent, double sided tape. Take your time, trim it right, and carefully smooth it down with a credit card or something rigid, and it looks incredible! For the most part, you can't even tell when you look at mine.

Those cards look fantastic!!!

though I have original SW 12 backs and most of all the ESB and ROTJ mint on cards I would still love a set.

Gerardo

Stay well away from "costablancastarwars" (if that's what he still calls himself on ebay). I got a set from him and they were AWFUL. Luckily, I found Beggars Canyon Toys too and got my set of SW & ESB cards from them. They are MUCH nicer quality and I would recommend them to anyone. I didn't even re-card my figures, I just wanted to have a good set of unused cards that I can flick through every now and then to rekindle childhood memories.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if that's the one I've seen, I think he's called blistersisters on ebay. It's probably the same seller with a different ebay account, too much of a coincidence both being in Spain. I'm hearing good things about this Beggars Canyon Toys, I'll check it out. How much for a set of 12? Or how much each? You said they are accurate, the cards and bubbles, that's good. I'm still not sure if I'm going to get any. I do like the idea of just having the cards though, never thought of that. You could even put them behind glass in a frame, that would look cool.
Andy

Hey Gerardo,

The cards and bubbles from Beggars Canyon Toys are the highest quality that I've come across. They've scanned the best example of original cards that they could get and all the bubbles are molded from the correct original bubbles. If you wanted to get a set that you can just handle without worrying about it too much, I'd highly recommend it. I love looking through all of mine. Seeing this thread has fired me up and I need to get my Return of the Jedi set ordered asap!

Those cards look fantastic!!!

though I have original SW 12 backs and most of all the ESB and ROTJ mint on cards I would still love a set.

Gerardo

Cool. I'd just be worried about strength or it yellowing and becoming brittle over time.

Not too worried about the yellowing, that will only add to the authentic look! I plan on putting these in acrylic cases in my theater room, which is pitch black and cool, plus there is very little humidity here, so hopefully that will dramatically slow any deterioration.

Robstyley, check out their website. They have complete sets or you can purchase individually.

Hey Gerardo,

The cards and bubbles from Beggars Canyon Toys are the highest quality that I've come across. They've scanned the best example of original cards that they could get and all the bubbles are molded from the correct original bubbles. If you wanted to get a set that you can just handle without worrying about it too much, I'd highly recommend it. I love looking through all of mine. Seeing this thread has fired me up and I need to get my Return of the Jedi set ordered asap!

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info! knowing you I'm sure they are top quality, they really look authentic, I also have many loose vintage figures including a rare original vinyl cape Jawa which I will use the cards for.

Gerardo

Hey Gerardo,
If you contact them at their website, be sure to tell them that you'd like the bubble that was used with the vinyl cape Jawa. Apparently, there's a subtle difference in the bubble and when I was dealing with them, they were really excited to tell me that they'd finally been able to mold an original vinyl cape Jawa bubble to complete their set of authentic bubble replicas.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info! knowing you I'm sure they are top quality, they really look authentic, I also have many loose vintage figures including a rare original vinyl cape Jawa which I will use the cards for.

Gerardo

Hi
I saw your recard thread, superb.
I have carded a lot of my vintage but this was a few years ago.
My cards were made generic and not specific to the originals, could I possibly buy the images you used. This is strictly for my personal use as I have some 40 figures including the first 21.
I have the corner cutter still and used a adhesive photo paper but would very much appreciate any info on what card and print paper you used
Thank you and best wishes
Graham

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back