The Ultimate X-Wing Pilot Thread

Hi Thread,

I'm wondering which flight caps the pilots wore under the helmet as you can see here - image_1ca5f727.jpeg
If anyone knows the name of it, it would be useful as i'd like to hunt down an original or make my own.

Cheers guys.

I'm wondering which flight caps the pilots wore under the helmet as you can see here - View attachment 807862
If anyone knows the name of it, it would be useful as i'd like to hunt down an original or make my own.
I'm convinced that it was custom-made. Real flight helmets have several various snaps and straps on them. The ESB cap has only straps that are to be tied in a knot underneath the actor's chin, which is something that you won't see on real-world pilot's gear.

The pattern resembles RAF E-Type, D-Type and C-type, but slightly different (no widow's peak brim, no holes for earphones etc.) and in different fabric. (C-type was leather)
The fabric is probably the same as one that was used for the Rebel Hoth Trooper caps, which I know from inspecting one in real life is made from off-white cotton twill. (there is one in the picture that you can compare with).

Back when I was cosplaying as Rebel Pilot, I made two different ones, none of which I was happy with. I got myself a vintage Type-C helmet but it was too small.
I have had lots of arguments with people who believed it to have been a AN-H-15, which it clearly isn't.

Wow thank you for that amazing Information! it defiantly isn't an ANH-15 you can tell with the pattern on the cap as well as colour and none of the rivets etc. The pattern looks super close related to all the RAF types especially the C type leather one.

The covered ears on the cap do look like a similar sizing to an ANH-15 but from each trooper it varies in size but these could be replacement speaker earphones on the inside.

The fabric looks exactly like the Rebel Hoth Cap i totally agree with everything you've shared.

I'm a dab hand on the sewing machine so this is going to be the next little project of mine.

Thank you Darth Lars.

So here’s a question. Some of the links here are older and don’t work.

Who makes the best flight suits, vest and chest boxes now? For ANH, not the new stuff. Because it looks like a lot of the old males are out of business. And I’m looking for screen accurate not idealized. Any help would be appreciated!!

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

So here’s a question. Some of the links here are older and don’t work.

Who makes the best flight suits, vest and chest boxes now? For ANH, not the new stuff. Because it looks like a lot of the old males are out of business. And I’m looking for screen accurate not idealized. Any help would be appreciated!!

Your man is Darthair! He makes everything Helmet included!
He is also a great guy!
https://www.facebook.com/DHPFX/

Regards,

Alberto

Awesome, thank you. But I have a helmet already. I need what we call soft parts? Flight suit, vest, gloves? I see the plastic but nothing else. Does anyone know who makes a screen accurate set of soft parts?

Awesome, thank you. But I have a helmet already. I need what we call soft parts? Flight suit, vest, gloves? I see the plastic but nothing else. Does anyone know who makes a screen accurate set of soft parts?

He does everything soft parts included, You can ask any single part!
They are Rebel Legion approved!
If You're in need of the Hoth/Dagobah parts ask to Baron Flux.

Regards, Alberto

Well... I've done it now. And i refuse to stop digging...

Just ordered my helmet kit from @Darthair ... Can I leave work to go sit on my front porch and wait for my new package?

Way too excited. I guess now I can start modeling the buck for the chest box. I just wanna make that myself. And it gives me an excuse to build a vac-u-forming table...

Last edited:
Well... I've done it now. And i refuse to stop digging...

Just ordered my helmet kit from @Darthair ... Can I leave work to go sit on my front porch and wait for my new package?

Way too excited. I guess now I can start modeling the buck for the chest box. I just wanna make that myself. And it gives me an excuse to build a vac-u-forming table...

Did you order from his Etsy store? My friend has been trying to get ahold of him all week and hasn’t heard anything back. He too wants to place a order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give him time. He will reply. He builds alot and con season is just around the corner. Worth the wait

Give him time. He will reply. He builds alot and con season is just around the corner. Worth the wait

Kevin didn’t you assemble one of his kits?! He’s got some really good videos on YouTube explaining everything

Do you remember roughly how long it took to get after purchasing it from Etsy?

Kevin didn’t you assemble one of his kits?! He’s got some really good videos on YouTube explaining everything

Do you remember roughly how long it took to get after purchasing it from Etsy?

a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. Con season is king for him. That's where he gets really busy. Yes his videos are fantastic.

a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. Con season is king for him. That's where he gets really busy. Yes his videos are fantastic.

Thanks kevin! I’m gonna try and coax him into purchasing it

Did you order from his Etsy store? My friend has been trying to get ahold of him all week and hasn’t heard anything back. He too wants to place a order

Yes I did place it through his Etsy. I hope everything's alright on his side of the globe, Maybe hes just making a lotta product? Solo is coming out in what? Two? Three weeks? I'm going to default to he's just busy before I get too worked up.

Yes I did place it through his Etsy. I hope everything's alright on his side of the globe, Maybe hes just making a lotta product? Solo is coming out in what? Two? Three weeks? I'm going to default to he's just busy before I get too worked up.

Kevin is right, I didn’t think about it but it’s con season and he’s probably backed up and super busy

I’m pushing my buddy to just order now and get in line, instead of waiting to hear and then purchasing and being at the end of the line

Kevin is right, I didn’t think about it but it’s con season and he’s probably backed up and super busy

I’m pushing my buddy to just order now and get in line, instead of waiting to hear and then purchasing and being at the end of the line

The listing says "Ready to ship in 3–5 weeks." so I'm going to START getting worried if it's not here by the end of June. We'll see how it goes...

Anyhoo. Gotta do some more research on the Chest Box, (no I haven't finished this thread yet...) I know he sells one, but I know I can make that "right-enough" compared to the rams horns. I have a feeling that's where I'd roast the helmet alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
The listing says "Ready to ship in 3–5 weeks." so I'm going to START getting worried if it's not here by the end of June. We'll see how it goes...

Anyhoo. Gotta do some more research on the Chest Box, (no I haven't finished this thread yet...) I know he sells one, but I know I can make that "right-enough" compared to the rams horns. I have a feeling that's where I'd roast the helmet alive.
don't worry about him. He's good to his word. This is a busy time of the year for him. You won't be disappointed I have 1 full kit and bought 2 lids to make a tie fighter and ATAT pilot. He also sold some prototype parts for his tie kit he has been working on. Great guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't worry about him. He's good to his word. This is a busy time of the year for him. You won't be disappointed I have 1 full kit and bought 2 lids to make a tie fighter and ATAT pilot. He also sold some prototype parts for his tie kit he has been working on. Great guy.

I'm far more excited than worried. I totally understand what It's like to be suddenly swamped with work, we're currently in that hole at my current occupation. I know I'll be more than ready to melt my brain into constructing this helmet by the time it gets here. I just gotta remember to order the Wedge decals from DeLucks... (my brother's been Luke for as far back as I can remember.)

Anyhoo. I guess I'll just sit here and work on replicating the chest box and flight seat.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back