The Ultimate X-Wing Pilot Thread

That thread about the flightsuits disappeared? Was it merged into another one or something?

I will be slightly biased as I will recommend the ones from the USA ;)

My wife and I ( along with some good friends) spent several years researching and making prototypes. After a lot of work, sweat, and tears, we are finally stocked up on some incredible suits.

See our thread here:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/accurate-flightsuits-update-7-19-12-a-145145/

Feel free to send me a pm. My wife logs in to the forum under my account and answers the messages and will be happy to answer all your questions and give you our information.

That disappeared thread was really helpful for me in several ways, one of which was that the pics in it were a primary reason why I ordered a couple of your flightsuits.

Thanks.

I would ask Art but he never responds to my emails :(

I guess I could re-post the information here.

Otherwise feel free to check out our website at Far Away Creations and send us an email.

Cool, done and done. I ordered 1 TIE flightsuit, 1 X-Wing flight suit, and a TIE armor set from you in September. Looking forward to receiving them and completing my pilot costumes.

I have been working in my own X-Wing pilot costume. Did some parts already. Anyone interested in disccus about the comm pad and the right colors for it?

I have been working in my own X-Wing pilot costume. Did some parts already. Anyone interested in disccus about the comm pad and the right colors for it?

This seems to be the most common and accepted layout...
Alderaan Base . . . Commpad

I did mine in reflective tape so when photos are taken it glows...
Pictures020.jpg

Well,
We have several problems with that layout. Does not represent the real comm pad used on screen + I believe the blue is grey. I modelled a new commpad based on this:

20130824_170130_1.jpg

Commpad.3.jpg

3D model:
21.jpg

22.jpg

3D printed model:
20130901_010135.jpg

20130901_010223.jpg

and about the colors:

20130827_003012.jpg

20130831_201703.jpg

Proposed color scheme:
CommPad.ANH.jpg

I found out that dark admiralty grey was used on the TK helmet, so I am fine witht that grey that looks bluish from certain distance or light conditions.

What do you think?

Well,
I found out that dark admiralty grey was used on the TK helmet, so I am fine with that grey that looks bluish from certain distance or light conditions.
What do you think?

Looks good but I highly recommend putting a curve into it or it will be pain in butt wearing it. That first pic it was installed backwards too, what is that pic from?

I took it from Blu-Ray extras disc. And about curving it, It really depends on what material you are talking about. I am planning to vac form them in 2 mm ABS, which will end up around 1 mm thick. With that thickness, the pad will curve it for himself. What do you think about the colors? and about the layout?

I know that the common term for this piece is "com pad" but I think it makes more sense that this piece is actually the controls/indicator to the life support function of the suit. With that said...

Here are a few images collected over the years...

The first two images are from the MoM. For these to be useful, I think two assumptions have to be made:

Assumption #1: That these are screen used.
Assumption #2: IMHO, the TIE and X-Wing pieces should be swapped to be correct (meaning the X-Wing panel is incorrectly placed in the TIE pilot flight suit).

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

I think it is important to point out that there are various colors utilized built the prop guys. Note the dark gray, light gray, black, and green and remember that video tends to distort the resolution of true colors (example: Wedge's helmet paint details look grey but we now know it is green).

With that said, here are some other video images (not sure where this collage came from).

IMG_0115.JPG

I took it from Blu-Ray extras disc. And about curving it, It really depends on what material you are talking about. I am planning to vac form them in 2 mm ABS, which will end up around 1 mm thick. With that thickness, the pad will curve it for himself. What do you think about the colors? and about the layout?

The VERY top image NOT the screen cap the top one its installed upside down, 4 buttons should be toward the fingers to up the arm... It maybe a bluish gray its hard to say they did a lot stuff back then, the chest boxes were made of wood... Trust me you def want a curve in it or it will be all over place as you wear the suit. Mine is resin with large curve and I love it!

Assumption #1: That these are screen used.
Assumption #2: IMHO, the TIE and X-Wing pieces should be swapped to be correct (meaning the X-Wing panel is incorrectly placed in the TIE pilot flight suit).

I think it is important to point out that there are various colors utilized built the prop guys. Note the dark gray, light gray, black, and green and remember that video tends to distort the resolution of true colors (example: Wedge's helmet paint details look grey but we now know it is green)
We agreed in both assumptions. But I do know screen used ones were exactly like those in the exhibits due the screen caps I took. I have no doubt about the shape. Check this out:

20130827_005940.jpg

About the layout, buttons shape and disposition of the base. What do you think?

Commpad.Comparison.gif

21.jpg

20130901_010223.jpg

3D model looks sharp than screen used cause that one was vacuum formed. It seems that nobody care about screen accuracy these days. And the official term for that is "Wrist Panel" according Blu-Ray description. Common name is Comm Pad.

That's some nice work and research there. Have you thought about going with a SLA 3d print job? We have access to one of those, which yields a much cleaner print. There are a couple of good photos that I haven't seen before, or rather higher resolution anyway. Nice! :)

Our comm pad that we've been offering for about 9 or 10 years was based off the same photos, from the MOM exhibit, and is a resin version. I've always known they should be vacformed but it's one of those times when I'm on the fence (which is rare for me) and I choose practicality or quality over accuracy just because the vac-formed version looks pretty cheap in person. We do make the vac-formed versions also, it's just that most people go with the resin version.

As time goes by I do tend to change my mind and go with accuracy on things like this but I'm not sure about this one ;)

We will be offering a better hose connector her soon as well, we're just waiting on our 3d printer issues to get ironed out.

Thanks for chime in. I do really appreciate your feedback. I usually use Shapeways service to this kind of stuff, but round trip time to Argentina is about 2 months since I send to print a piece and arrives to Buenos Aires. Using this service (3D Lab Fab & Cafe), which is local, took me only 4 days, and for prototyping proposes It was really enough for me. Final model will be printed in Shapeways or laser cut over acrylic. Given the size of the buttons, I do believe a vac formed mold will be tricky, but doable. I always have B option that will be resin. Keep you posted guys. And If you have anything to ask, just let me know. I do have tons of screen caps with that resolution.

I believe this is a pre-production photo that found out today. You can clearly see here, given the light that those buttons were indeed grey, not blue. You can compare with the chest box color and square blue buttons:

LukeSkywalkerBackstage.jpg

Just to clarify my point.

PD: He is wearing it in a different direction.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back