The Ultimate X-Wing Pilot Thread

It looks like, apart from making one yourself or having one made, if you want to go with an ebay suit, you can choose from costumebase, customprops, or evolution.

I would say from what I've heard from many other pilots that they rank in this order:

1. Customprops
2. Costumebase
3. Evolution

The reason customprops wins out over costumebase is because of the lower leg pockets which are missing on the costumebase.

I used the costumebase suit for mine and am very happy with it, but if I do another one, I'll use customprops.

Actually, the customsprops is way more accurate in details than the costumebase is in more ways than just having the extra set of pockets. It follows Gil's pattern very closely, it has appropriately shaped chest pockets, etc.

And his flack vest bends costumebase's over and makes it his *****. Its still not 100% perfect but its one of the best you can get without making it yourself.

OK, I hope I don't come off as an idiot for asking this, but does someone have pictures or a tutorial or something showing how the strap is fed through the strap adjusters on the chest box (green) straps? I'm afraid knots andother complicated connection methods have always been a huge blind spot for me... I can't figure out how the thing feeds through there so it works the right way, and I don't see any pictures up close of how folks do it...

It depends on what hardware you have - not everyone has the same buckle.

My chestbox is from Moncal, and below is pictured how I do it with the buckle he included. Don't know if it's right, but it works.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pix. Hope this helps.

RRR

It depends on what hardware you have - not everyone has the same buckle.

My chestbox is from Moncal, and below is pictured how I do it with the buckle he included. Don't know if it's right, but it works.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pix. Hope this helps.

RRR

Ugh, I thought I replied but it looks like it got eaten...

Anyway, so to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly: One the 'non tabbed' side of the adjuster, you've got it folded over and permanently attached, and on the other 'tabbed' side it's free to slide (thus adjusting)?

I always thought there was some trick w/ these things where the strap formed went over the other part and there was no visible space in the middle, but I guess it really isn't that complicated! Thanks!

Like I said, it's how I do it. It may not be "right," but it cinches and stays tight.

Yes, one side is looped over and sewn. On the other end, I folded over and stitched the end, just to make it neater and prevent raveling, and loop it over and under the cross piece on the rounded end of the buckle.

These are just my choices. I have no idea how other people do it - especially since no one else is chiming in here.

RRR

I started building the helmet last night out of pepakura, and going to go the same way with the chest box.

I think I'll go the Costumebase route for the flight suit and vest, since I can sew.

Are people on here still offering the belt buckles, insertion locks, and slide bits for the vest and box? If not does anybody know where I can get them in the UK?

I might have found some of the insertion locks for the vest, does anybody have the measurements for them though? The ones I have found are 1.5" x 3/4" not sure if this is too small.

hey i'm new here and i realy would like to make a x wing pilot costume. i ve looked at alot of tutorials and i think i know what i'm going to do all the chest box kits look pretty pricey so i think iam going to make one my self. i have alot of eva foam sheets so thats what i think i will probally use i found this thing called plastidip that i thought i might dip my chest box in after i cover it in modpoge all i realy need is the dimensions for the box it would realy help me out al.ot thanks

In the RL Costume standards it says the Leg Flare holder can be Olive Drab Green OR Black. Is that still valid? id really like to do a black one..

Well the Ultimate X-Wing Pilot photo also comes from the back drop! =)

Pictures015.jpg

Pictures020.jpg

Just a quick question:
Does anyone have the basic dimensions for the chest box? L" x W" is fine.
I'm making a flight suit for an 11 year old. I had already made one for my son when he was about 5.
I just want to know if it's worth the effort to make a new box just for a slight size increase.

We can help you out with pretty much the whole shebang :)

Shoot me a pm. My wife Kathy logs in under my account and answers the messages. She can give you all the current info including all the parts for the costume.

thanks

I will be slightly biased as I will recommend the ones from the USA ;)

My wife and I ( along with some good friends) spent several years researching and making prototypes. After a lot of work, sweat, and tears, we are finally stocked up on some incredible suits.

See our thread here:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/accurate-flightsuits-update-7-19-12-a-145145/

Feel free to send me a pm. My wife logs in to the forum under my account and answers the messages and will be happy to answer all your questions and give you our information.

Does anyone know where I can get a hose attachment piece for flightsuit? Not sure what its called. Its the round piece that is part of the flightsuit that the chest box hose connects to. It doesnt have to be a perfect screen accurate piece, as long as it works.
Please nothing that is from a real flight/bio suit, as those are very pricey!

I think most people use a black pvc elbow pipe found in the plumbing/sprinkler section of the hardware store. The hose fits on to the male (threads exposed on the outside) end of the tube. You still need to find/make a plastic or rubber skirt at the base (the end that touches the suit).

These are only seen (as far as I know) for the ANH version. Therefore I and others have used magnets to attach the connector without damaging the suit. This is easily done by glue/press fitting a steel washer/disk in the female end and strong magnets placed inside the suit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back