2001 Space Station WIP

Wow, I'm loving this. I've always thought it so sad that the original miniatures from 2001 no longer exist. Thanks for bringing this one back from the dead. :)

Awesome work! Hey joberg, would you mind me stealing the lighting idea of your landing bay? It would be a great solution to the back motor lighting of the Falcon!

Well, here's the other part of the "Under Construction Rim"...under construction of course:D

002.JPG 003.JPG

Thanks Sofa...I seldom use grey primer; I don't want too many coat on very small details. The Krylon mate white makes for a good covering. Visually, some like to prime and see the overall effect of their greeblie-o-thon...not me, I know exactly how it'll look like;)

Have you considered painting the model black before painting? The black helps make all the little shadows and details pop. :)

I'm using an make-up powder to achieve the "pop-up effect" on the greeblies/details. I've done some lighting tests and with the one source of light representing the sun, the details are there but somewhat less pronounced than expected (that's why you must do a used look, if not the model would be a big white mass).
I'm glad to report that it's looking good on camera...more to come of course;)

I'm using an make-up powder to achieve the "pop-up effect" on the greeblies/details. I've done some lighting tests and with the one source of light representing the sun, the details are there but somewhat less pronounced than expected (that's why you must do a used look, if not the model would be a big white mass).
I'm glad to report that it's looking good on camera...more to come of course;)

That's an interesting approach! I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing some beauty shots. :)

Well, here's the second part of that "Under Construction Rim".
Here's the pic with a fresh coat of paint:
001.JPG 004.JPG same but with the make-up wash.
The other side:
003.JPG 002.JPG and the top.

More to come of course, next piece is an in-between (shorter than the first, but longer than this one);)

The under construction rims are beautiful ! I love all the details, you are doing an amazing job, this is not a model we're used to see and it's good to have some models from such an iconic movie being made !

Thanks guys! Duncanator: not the Orion (too predictable) but I'm thinking about a Aries-1B docking inside;). M
Monsieur Tox, thanks! I'm in the process of finishing those 4 main pieces for the "U.C.R." next is the 4th piece. This one is only build with the ceiling, one face, one bottom (attached to its spoke) and the rest is built with scaffoldings only.
Here's the latest piece with its "wings" attached to it (I'll have to detail those also)

061.JPG 062.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back