2001 Space Station WIP

Kubrick didn't destroy the models, it's just that it was the case of a deal gone bad, that's all. Thank God, the Aries-1B was found and bought (and photographed by members of the RPF at lenght)! I'm very hopeful as for the restoration job that lies ahead. It's going to be gorgeous when finished.
As for the original Space Station, I have hope, that someday it'll show up in an auction...somewhere.

Last edited:
Kubrick didn't destroy the models, it's just that it was the case of a deal gone bad, that's all. Thank God, the Aries-1B was found and bought (and photographed by members of the RPF at lenght)! I'm very hopeful as for the restoration job that lies ahead. It's going to be gorgeous when finished.
As for the original Space Station, I have hope, that someday it'll show up in an auction...somewhere.
That's the very first time I've heard this, and I've read a lot of different sources (usually reliable) claiming that Kubrick destroyed them to prevent their being reused in other films. So, please, dish -- and I'd love to know where you heard/read this! :)

Gene Kosicki was the one who told us the story: after the movie, and if my memory serves me well, an American Museum wanted to buy/exhibit all of the models. They were crated and waited for years in a warehouse, ready to be shipped. Alas, the deal didn't materialized and, since space is at a premium, it was decided to hire a private company to get rid of the lot.
The company was sloppy and just dumped the Eva Pod, as well as the Space Station in a field. According to the story, the Pod was taken by children who were playing near by and the pics of the Station were taken by a bloke, on a bike, that returned to the site (difficult to bike with a 7 feet high model) to find out that the model had disappeared.
The Discovery was placed in a children's play ground (not far from the studio) and was quickly returned and destroyed properly when someone learned that some pieces were a bit too small, and therefore dangerous, for children...There, if I forgot something, I'm sure Gene will chime in. Sad story in the end.

IMG_20161203_165036_hdr.jpgIMG_20161205_185402.jpgIMG_20161205_185258.jpg

Joberg is right. According to Christiane Kubrick (Stanley's widow) SK wanted to be certain that models (and sets elements) remained in his control so that they could not be used in other films; he did not demand or intend their destruction.

Various individuals and organisations requested the loan or gift of models but nothing was agreed in the period following the film's release, possibly because SK was saddened by the general lack of understanding of the film and the initially poor critical response.

Subsequently (it seems agreed that) the models were found to be in poor condition supposedly with water damage, fire damage and mishandling all alleged by various parties, in addition to which, some items were just "lost". "Lost" to a collector is probably our best hope of seeing any original stuff now!

The final disposal of the models was, as Joberg says, inept and so sad.Screen-Shot-2014-03-23-at-8.36.53-PM-e1395632719143.png

Gene Kosicki was the one who told us the story: after the movie, and if my memory serves me well, an American Museum wanted to buy/exhibit all of the models. They were crated and waited for years in a warehouse, ready to be shipped. Alas, the deal didn't materialized and, since space is at a premium, it was decided to hire a private company to get rid of the lot.
The company was sloppy and just dumped the Eva Pod, as well as the Space Station in a field. According to the story, the Pod was taken by children who were playing near by and the pics of the Station were taken by a bloke, on a bike, that returned to the site (difficult to bike with a 7 feet high model) to find out that the model had disappeared.
The Discovery was placed in a children's play ground (not far from the studio) and was quickly returned and destroyed properly when someone learned that some pieces were a bit too small, and therefore dangerous, for children...There, if I forgot something, I'm sure Gene will chime in. Sad story in the end.

Joberg is right. According to Christiane Kubrick (Stanley's widow) SK wanted to be certain that models (and sets elements) remained in his control so that they could not be used in other films; he did not demand or intend their destruction.

Various individuals and organisations requested the loan or gift of models but nothing was agreed in the period following the film's release, possibly because SK was saddened by the general lack of understanding of the film and the initially poor critical response.

Subsequently (it seems agreed that) the models were found to be in poor condition supposedly with water damage, fire damage and mishandling all alleged by various parties, in addition to which, some items were just "lost". "Lost" to a collector is probably our best hope of seeing any original stuff now!

The final disposal of the models was, as Joberg says, inept and so sad.View attachment 688673

I've seen that photo before. Always makes me sick. :sick

To continue on the same path, I was disappointed to find little info in the new 2001 book on various model (just 2 pics of the Space Station) and known pics of the Moonbus, a few new pics of Discovery, etc...I hope, that, one day, someone will publish a more complete book of the models used in that movie.

To continue on the same path, I was disappointed to find little info in the new 2001 book on various model (just 2 pics of the Space Station) and known pics of the Moonbus, a few new pics of Discovery, etc...I hope, that, one day, someone will publish a more complete book of the models used in that movie.
Absolutely. That film defined modern SF cinema in so many ways, including revolutionizing VFX. The more we can learn, the better.

J,

Incredible! I was pouring over those images! Please post more when get the chance! Just an incredible build! :)

Wow!!! I have been following this build from day one. Fantastic job! I do have one question for you about the pictures you posted on December 5th. Is that a model of the taxi from Blade Runner in the background?

Excuse me, there was 1 greeblie out of place....other than that, it's PERFECT ! :thumbsup

Unreal build sir, well done

Wow! Words fail me sir! Thank you for building such an epic piece of movie history! And thanks for documenting your efforts! Truly amazing to behold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic, every new image makes me admire this incredible achievement even more. ( I reckon that I could scratch build the monolith, but beyond that I'd struggle!)

I have to chime in here; since I saw the zip/cable ties on this white tube, and thought now where is this going, to now.... MAN you have done a monumental, unparalleled, Fantastic Job, and now my mind is " B L O W N " :wacko

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back