2001 Space Station WIP

joberg

Legendary Member
Yes, this is insane I know, but even if that project drives me to drink, so be it:facepalm
Not studio scale because no good detailed pics/measurement exist (beside screen grabs from the HDVD and the front pic of the real model on www.planet3earth.co.uk hosted by Stargazer)...heck, not even Doug Trumbull could help us! I would like to thank our DaveG for his 3-D rendering btw; very helpful.
Lots of greeblies/wiggets on that model (more so than the spaceship in Galactica); will still be 7 feet in circumference by 57 inches wide (probably like the original model).
Fully lit (240 windows+ a landing bay). Thank God, I don't have to do the other outer rim since it's under construction;)

So off I go by showing some of the blueprint I did to make sure I'm not improvising.
042.JPG

Well, since my budget is $400, I'll have to find trick to minimize the spending. So since the price of plastic piping is out of this world ('cause I have to buy 6 feet of pipe with a 12 inches circumference) I bought 4 pales (at Rona) that I cut up to create 2 pieces for the landing bays and 2 pieces for the main modules.
When done, I cut 8 holes to fit the spokes and secured the main tunnel between the 2 modules.
041.JPG043.JPG

Merci Monsieur Tox...and Apollo; I was thinking of mounting the station on an L shaped stand (the "foot" of the L will be under the model, while the "straight" of the L will hold the rod placed into the model) I'll have the wiring going into one of the spoke (window lights on the finished side) and through that rod. It will turn also;)

Here's more work: the add-on is now in the module. This add-on will be plugged by blue foam as support for the Sintra.
053.JPG054.JPG

Mildly interesting until you added the rectangular port. Then it was "Ooooh yes!". Like seeing an old friend. Going to be a spectacular project. Good luck!

Thanks Knighjar...this station is just crazy with repetitive pieces and that's why a team of model makers worked on it...not one person.
Next is to clad that blue foam with Sintra and then cut out the angled entrance of the landing bay. After that it's greeblie time! I hope to post the hole thing in a few days...stay tuned;)

You're really serious, joberg! : ) Excellent start! What's it like working with Sintra - I remember that thread about the Iron Man figure, with all those curved shapes and wondered -- that's a miracle material. I would have used it on a project but it's quite expensive here. Can you really bend it into complex shapes by boiling?

Crackerjazz, you're in TO and I'm in Ottawa, so the price is the same I'm afraid:cry Since I'm working on a trapeze shape (pails are stackable, hence the trapeze form: bigger base, and smaller top), I have to bend Sintra by hand (2mm) or hairdryer for the other more round stuff. But yes, you can put in a pot of boiling water also and shape it that way...or my fav: into acetone: dip it real quick and let it dry and it'll take the form you want.

I'm concentrating now on the inside of the landing bay and I discovered LED strips at Home Depot that will serve as lighting around said bay...this is going to be fun;)

045.JPG 046.JPG048.JPG

Last edited:
NICE! Looking forward to seeing this beauty finished. She already looks the part :)

BTW... I noticed you had the MF all wrapped up. If you're thinking of getting rid of her I'll take her off your hands. ;)

man that looks great! amazing greeblie work very slick!

- - - Updated - - -

man that looks great! amazing greeblie work very slick!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back